Cyberpunk 2077's first major patch launches on all platforms

Joe White

Highly anticipated: Cyberpunk 2077’s first major patch is out, bringing a slew of bug-fixing improvements to CD Projekt Red’s promising—but flawed—game. The update, which is available for all platforms, is hopefully the first step on the road to recovery for Cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk Patch 1.1 comes shortly after CD Projekt Red offered a public apology and published a development roadmap for the game. While the anticipated title received positive reviews on PC, the experience of playing Cyberpunk 2077 on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One was less successful: bugs, quirks, and stability issues meant players struggled to appreciate what would otherwise be an impressive game.

The good news is that Cyberpunk 2077’s first major patch—which is available now on all platforms—should improve things.

The update’s release notes indicate that general performance on PS4, Xbox One, and Stadia should be much better, though whether the changes are enough to warrant picking up a discounted copy of Cyberpunk 2077 remains to be seen.

Interestingly, while various crash fixes have been implemented for PS4 users, more robust performance optimization is only available for PS4 Pro and PS5 players (who can play the game via backward-compatibility). This could suggest that further enhancements to Cyberpunk 2077 may be limited by the PS4’s ageing hardware.

While this patch is just the first major step on the development roadmap, we won’t need to wait too long for a second significant update. According to CD Projekt Red, patch 1.2 should be available in the coming weeks, although a specific date has yet been confirmed.

Permalink to story.

I played through the game Twice. The first time I didn’t understand the game very well but I played through the story missions and finished the game.

The second time I understood the game better and I focused on getting legendary weapons, items and equipment. I did more of the story missions to see the underlying game. This is one of the first times I’ve ever played through an RPG twice. The first Playthru I had almost no bugs or game interruptions.

As they started to patch it I started to experience more bugs but it was nothing that stopped me from enjoying the game.

I have put over 100 hours into cyber punk and despite the fact that I wasn’t a big follower of it or interested in it until release day, this is one of the best games I’ve played in the last few years. At least since Fallout 4.

Unless you are playing this game on a PC with a 3000 series graphics card chances are you aren’t going to have a good time. If you have a PlayStation or Xbox you can just forget it.

So people who held back from buying the game because it's common sense to wait for bugs to get fixed will now have a better first experience then the ones who rushed and experienced a bugfest.

I played through the game Twice. The first time I didn’t understand the game very well but I played through the story missions and finished the game.

The second time I understood the game better and I focused on getting legendary weapons, items and equipment. I did more of the story missions to see the underlying game. This is one of the first times I’ve ever played through an RPG twice. The first Playthru I had almost no bugs or game interruptions.

As they started to patch it I started to experience more bugs but it was nothing that stopped me from enjoying the game.

I have put over 100 hours into cyber punk and despite the fact that I wasn’t a big follower of it or interested in it until release day, this is one of the best games I’ve played in the last few years. At least since Fallout 4.

Unless you are playing this game on a PC with a 3000 series graphics card chances are you aren’t going to have a good time. If you have a PlayStation or Xbox you can just forget it.

My previous GTX 1070 did very well keeping 60 fps with fairly high gfx. You need to take time to find the right settings... Now starting my second playthrough with my new RTX 3060 Ti.

My previous GTX 1070 did very well keeping 60 fps with fairly high gfx. You need to take time to find the right settings... Now starting my second playthrough with my new RTX 3060 Ti.

I played in Psycho mode on my 3090FTW3.

I would never even bother playing on anything less than a 2080Ti

It was at first but then they created a new engine, which was being updated/maturing at the same time the game was being made. Kind of confusing I know!

I hope it turns out like No Man's Sky in the long run...
So what‘s their excuse for the last gen console problems then ? I always thought it was due to their focus being on next gen.

So what‘s their excuse for the last gen console problems then ? I always thought it was due to their focus being on next gen.

Excuse, not sure what you are asking? Focusing on 5 different platforms is hard enough. No excuses, its just how it turned out. They dropped the ball on older platforms and it seems it just doesn't run well on the older hardware with the newer engine.

Excuse, not sure what you are asking? Focusing on 5 different platforms is hard enough. No excuses, its just how it turned out. They dropped the ball on older platforms and it seems it just doesn't run well on the older hardware with the newer engine.

I think Cyberpunk might run better on the PS4, if you swapped out the HDD and put in an SSD...but it's still a shitshow since PS4 isn't powerful enough.

The biggest improvement in the PS5 and XBOXSX is the SSD which console gamers have only experienced in comparison to their smartphones' responsiveness.

Are you bragging or complaining? I would guess the first, as I have played it from before any patches with a lowly 1080 TI, and with appropriate settings I never got less than upper 40s FPS. Go figure, eh..

And 'appropriate' was mostly the highest settings, some compromises as to shaders, that sort of thing. The game has a very good setup routine, especially if you don't have an RTX, Far fewer choices to make, and no real loss of performance. Yes, I am sure that it is a bit better with an RTX unit, but you can't have what isn't (reasonably) available.

The biggest improvement in the PS5 and XBOXSX is the SSD which console gamers have only experienced in comparison to their smartphones' responsiveness.

I mean it's a huge improvement for sure but I would think the extra compute provides bigger gains than the SSD. Like I'd take a PS5 with a hard drive over a PS4 with the PS5's SSD.

But totally agree with the PS4 comment, I don't think they'll ever get it looking good on the base last gen consoles, they're just too CPU limited to cope with the complexity of the game. They would have been better off cancelling it for last gen and taking the flak for forcing people onto next-gen/PC

Interestingly, while various crash fixes have been implemented for PS4 users, more robust performance optimization is only available for PS4 Pro and PS5 players (who can play the game via backward-compatibility). This could suggest that further enhancements to Cyberpunk 2077 may be limited by the PS4’s ageing hardware.

The only mention of PS4 Pro / PS5 was for "performance optimization of crowds". My guess would be that crowd density is much lower to begin with on the PS4, which is why it was irrelevant there. But that's just a guess.

The Devs/Publishers got greedy trying to put it out on the last gen consoles, they should have designed it from the get go as a Next Gen only game.

The Devs/Publishers got greedy trying to put it out on the last gen consoles, they should have designed it from the get go as a Next Gen only game.
It should be noted that when CDPR started developing Cyberrpunk, back in 2016, there WERE no new console platforms. There were no specs to design towards. Should they have drawn a line in the sand and made three versions? Devs HATE doing that, it costs big bikkies. BUT, in this case, they possibly should have. Calling them greedy for developing for the only platforms available at the time is just dumb.

Me, I think that every game should be developed on, and for, the PC platform first, then ported over to the consoles. Unfortunately we PC users don't buy nearly enough copies to warrant that kind of treatment.

Back