Data retrieval problem with 512 MB flash USB disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

satchmo

I have an Unique Star USB flash drive (512 MB capacity) that has been having problem since I purchased it.

I can store and retrieve data on it for the first 175 MB or so without error, but after I exceeded a certain capacity, the data become corrupt and I cannot retrieve the data once I copied them to the disk.

The files would simply disappear, or if the file is listed in the directory, the file would be empty (zero size).

I always use the device manager on the system tray to stop the disk before pulling it out to avoid corrupting data. And it's not a hardware issue because I got another disk (with the same capacity and the same manufacturer) with the same issue.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem? I appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Windows XP SP1?

It just occurred to me, could this be a USB2 device and I don't have SP1 installed for Windows XP Home Edition?

That should not be a problem for USB devices, they are backwards compatible with USB 1.1.
You may need to set your Windows Explorer to show all hidden and system files and folders, as well as known extensions. In Explorer go to Tools/Folder Options/View.

Try one of them out, if there is nothing important on it.
Rightclick My Computer on your desktop, select Manage, then Disk Management.
With that USB-key inserted, rightclick it in Disk Management and select Format. Use FAT32. That should refresh it.

As an afterthought, for some reason these keys accept only so many files in root. Make (sub-)directories on it, and copy your files in there. That allows you almost unlimited number of files in that directory.

Fat

I'll try the FAT thing.

But the problem doesn't occur when the files are in the root directory. Usually the files disappear in subdirectories. And these are not hidden files or system files. These are simply text files that disappeared.

Your brand USB key is something obscure, that is mostly sold (and probably also made) in Brazil. They are great at coffee, but I would not trust any of their electronics.
Probably cheap and cheerful as well.
Try a brand name, such as Sandisk or Belkin on that same computer, and see if they give the same problems. Personally I doubt that.

I had the same problem with a memory card. Two memory cards actually. One was a Sandisk and the other a Kingston. It just means that companies haven't perfected portable data devices yet, and that once in a while, there's gonna be one that doesn't work. My recommendation is: Try to get your money back and buy a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back