Data shows Windows 8 hasn't stimulated PC gaming as anticipated

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Microsoft and a number of partners had high hopes for Windows 8. The recently-released operating system was expected to be the savior for desktop computer, among other things. It’s still too early to determine if those lofty expectations will be realized but one thing is apparently evident already: Windows 8 is not a hit with gamers.

New data from NPD Group shows that PC game sales are down a full 21 percent in the month following Windows 8’s release when compared to the same time period in 2011. Stephen Baker from NPD said Windows 8 hasn’t made the market any worse but it certainly hasn’t helped to stimulate sales either.

npd windows windows 8

NPD isn’t the only one to produce early data on Windows 8’s impact on gaming. Valve offers gamers the opportunity to take a voluntary survey each month to evaluate the hardware that people are using to run the client and games.

Valve’s latest monthly Steam survey shows that only 0.44 percent of client users have upgraded to the new OS. Based on 54 million active Steam users, that boils down to just 237,600 players that are now running Windows 8. It’s worth pointing out that this isn’t likely an accurate representation but it is pretty telling about the state of Windows 8 gamers, or lack of.

A number of game developers have spoken out against the operating system since it was first announced due to the fact that Microsoft is trying to make it a closed platform. Case in point – if a developer wants to create and submit a game for inclusion in the Windows 8 Store, they have to follow certain guidelines and store rules to do so.

Of course, publishers can still create and sell games outside of the Windows 8 Store but it would be a lot easier to provide digital downloads inside the Windows 8 ecosystem.

Permalink to story.

M$ creates an environment where the PC is suboptimal for gaming.. pushing more publishers to a ' console only ' dev. tree.. conveniently, this is also where M$ can control content even more and make more profit.. reduce the development tree on DX API's and generally stop innovation that made that made gaming what it is.

I don't think there is really a reason for hardcore gamers to upgrade. Windows 8 is faster and better in general, but it was never really focused on games. Although I've upgraded and never had a problem using it with BF3 and Steam games (I never took that survey though), I know some people online have been reporting problems with Windows 8 playing some games. I'm just a casual gamer and that almost scared me away, good luck convincing a heavy gamer.

I do not understand why on earth windows 8 would increase gaming sales?

Besides of course the "app" gaming side of things. But why on earth would I spend hundreds of pounds on a pc to run angry birds?

Sorry microsoft, but I am not an apple user, glee themed adverts, app stores, and shiny pastel boxes dont do anything for me. Give me a Os with tangible performance benefits and concentrate less on "coolness" and I will buy it.

I can't install Descent 3 and Sinistar Unleashed, which installed flawlessly in Windows 7, on my Windows 8 boxes. That said, so far it's worked out for the games that I'm currently playing (Mass Effect series, Halo, etc).

I think its pretty clear to anyone with half-a-brain that Windows 8 is a flop. The nerds who don't mind beta-testing operating systems and people who couldn't name their operating system to save their life are the people acting as guinea pigs for Windows 9.

I am very hopeful that Windows 9 will be the final product that Microsoft wanted to deliver. But out of necessity had to get Windows 8 out the door and into the wild as their first step.

I am skipping Windows 8 and looking forward to Windows 9. But make no mistake about it. If Windows 9 isn't what it should be, I have no problem in skipping it as well. Windows 7 Ultimate is taking care of me just fine.

On a side note, the TechSpot captcha system is getting more retarded with every new post I make.

I do not understand why on earth windows 8 would increase gaming sales?

Besides of course the "app" gaming side of things. But why on earth would I spend hundreds of pounds on a pc to run angry birds?

Sorry microsoft, but I am not an apple user, glee themed adverts, app stores, and shiny pastel boxes dont do anything for me. Give me a Os with tangible performance benefits and concentrate less on "coolness" and I will buy it.

Intersesting, if your looking for performance then you should prob go with a UNIX or LINUX based system.

I think its pretty clear to anyone with half-a-brain that Windows 8 is a flop. The nerds who don't mind beta-testing operating systems and people who couldn't name their operating system to save their life are the people acting as guinea pigs for Windows 9.

I am very hopeful that Windows 9 will be the final product that Microsoft wanted to deliver. But out of necessity had to get Windows 8 out the door and into the wild as their first step.

I am skipping Windows 8 and looking forward to Windows 9. But make no mistake about it. If Windows 9 isn't what it should be, I have no problem in skipping it as well. Windows 7 Ultimate is taking care of me just fine.

On a side note, the TechSpot captcha system is getting more retarded with every new post I make.

If only that were the case. Windows 8 is <b>exactly</b> what Microsoft intended it to be: a Frankenfail combo of a dumbed-down Windows 7 desktop with a layer of artsy foo-foo rubbish slathered on top. It puts (bad) form so far above function that its being universally rejected. The real tragedy is that under the hood Windows 8 delivers some reasonable gains performance gains in a few areas. Microsoft should have been building on its strengths instead of trying to out-hipster Apple. That's a fight they can never win.

The Direct X 11 on Windows 7 and Direct X 11.1 on Windows 8 with no plans to bring the to Windows 7 isn't going to help.

Since Microsoft never allowed DX 10 to XP, or Direct X 11 on Vista, we still get Direct X 9 games (mind you GuildWars 2 and Skyim are graphically amazing).

This is Extremely false info, it should be writters falt because they're stopping everyone from buying windows 8.

The Direct X 11 on Windows 7 and Direct X 11.1 on Windows 8 with no plans to bring the to Windows 7 isn't going to help.

Since Microsoft never allowed DX 10 to XP, or Direct X 11 on Vista, we still get Direct X 9 games (mind you GuildWars 2 and Skyim are graphically amazing).

DX11 is on Vista. The driver model changed with windows vista so there were some actual reason why DX10 was not on XP... Would it have been technologically impossible, no, but it is not something that would have been install-and-go.

The reason we get DX9 games is because of the consoles. The target system is an eXcrementBox not your PC and since its running a GPU based on the GeForce 7800 (a DX9 card) thats what you get... the stagnation in PC games can be directly pinned on the consoles and nothing will change until they get updated.

I didn't know it was expected to lol. I thought people were saying they would stick with older platforms since many games still use dx9 and such

Reason people dont switch do win8 is articles like this.

there is no real reason NOT to upgrade, besides some bad feeling from all the downhype of some press. no start button? please.... just win-d. the new UI is just an overlay screen, geez....

Reason people dont switch do win8 is articles like this.

there is no real reason NOT to upgrade, besides some bad feeling from all the downhype of some press. no start button? please.... just win-d. the new UI is just an overlay screen, geez....

No the reason people do not switch to Win 8 is because they don't want to use their computer's like a cell phone. The new UI is inferior for multitasking, the constant moving around of settings is iritating, and the few advantages there are over Win 7 are so profoundly outweighed by the negatives that they would have to PAY ME to use that pile of garbage.

I'm guessing this is the part where the Win 8 appologists come in and explain how if I just memorize 53 different keyboard short cuts and install 3rd party hacks I can use the system just like Win 7... No thanks how about I just keep using Win 7... With an SSD I don't wait on it to do anything as it is so any performance increase is going to be intangible anyway.

Deja Vu. Wasn't there all sorts of whining and shock that Vista and DX10 didn't cause the massive PC gaming revolution that Microsoft was hoping for? Remember the "Games for Windows" initiative's first pushes, and the big kiosks and money MS pushed on that? The fact that Vista was sub-par on release, a general pig on most systems, drivers were buggy, and people were happy with XP pretty much shot down their lofty goals.

Fast forward to 2012... Windows 8 comes out, many dislike the direction MS went with the interface, support and performance on gaming is spotty at best (reportedly horrible in many cases), MS is trying to wall in their garden and make developers jump through more hoops to develop for W8, most people are perfectly happy with Windows 7... And MS are sad pandas because their newest "next big thing" isn't causing a PC gaming revolution? Shocking!

Do any of the higher-ups at Microsoft even bother to pay attention to their own product history and try not to repeat mistakes?

2 Points about this article:

- Adoption figures are wrong, check http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey you will see W8 accounts for around 5% when combining 64 bit and 32 bit versions.

- PC Game sales will not be influenced by the release of an OS, no matter how good it is. I (and I assume the majority of consumers) will buy games based on cost and quality of a product, not based on what version of an OS I am running. I understand the angle that there were hopes PC hardware sales would increase, but why would that impact PC sales dramatically? Most software can be transferred between PCs meaning there is little reason to buy new software unless it is a serious upgrade of hardware that allows you to play previously unplayable titles.

As it happens, there are naff all games being released this side of Christmas that I want and that I haven't already bought a couple of months ago. There was no massive Skyrim launch like last November only a few mediocre games, most of which didn't meet reviewers expectations.

Most of my budget this last month or two has gone into Kickstarter campaigns to to a lack of inspiring titles being launched this season.

How is any of this in MS's hands in the first place?

PC games are all lame *** ports from console versions, its pretty common knowledge that console sales outweigh pc sales by a massive amount. Until game developers stop trying to make fast cash and actually start releasing games for PC thats more interesting than "press A/B/X not to die" nothing will change.

Win 8 wont change anything and neither will 9 or 10, the responsibility of the state of pc games is with the game dev's.

How is any of this in MS's hands in the first place?

PC games are all lame *** ports from console versions, its pretty common knowledge that console sales outweigh pc sales by a massive amount. Until game developers stop trying to make fast cash and actually start releasing games for PC thats more interesting than "press A/B/X not to die" nothing will change.

Win 8 wont change anything and neither will 9 or 10, the responsibility of the state of pc games is with the game dev's.

While I partially agree with your sentiments... Microsoft has a big hand in what is going on, and has potentially weakened PC gaming in general. You think PC games now are all lame ports from consoles? MS has invested heavily in a tablet-ized, touch-friendly app loving ecosystem, which could basically make the gaming pool even shallower. If the "game app" trend catches on with W8 as well, then MS will see "PC gaming" market share increase, their Windows Store revenues will increase, but our games will become dumbed down versions of what they are now - maybe a step up from the current Android/iOS gaming levels, but probably only roughly on-par with current consoles. This W8 ecosystem will not encourage taking risks, pushing the envelope, and leveraging the PC power for superior PC games... It will likely have the opposite effect, and we'll lose what few superior PC titles we currently get, all replaced with very meh-ish direct console ports. If you want a sign of that prophecy, just look at the push for integrating Xbox Live directly into Windows 8, and the porting going on there... Scary. :)

"The recently-released operating system was expected to be the savior for desktop computer"

Are they serious?(n)(n)(n)

If you want games for PC, quit buying into consoles.

With desktop dieing, you will soon only have tablets for computing and consoles for gaming. That is unless you need a server class machine for some special case.

"to be the savior for desktop computer"

DFUQ? wasn't 8 develop for tablets? why would it save desktops? besides Windows 7 WAS the savior of desktops. Also desktops alive != desktop sales, im amazed how stupid people are to compare "alive" whit the number of sales.

Back