Razer launches $160 Viper V3 Pro gaming mouse with 8,000 Hz polling rate

Shawn Knight

Staff member
In brief: Razer has added a new member to its Viper range of ultra-lightweight, high-performance gaming mice, and it's available to purchase immediately in your choice of black or white colorways.

The Viper V3 Pro has been redesigned from the inside out with a focus on performance. It's built around the Razer Focus Pro 35K Optical Sensor Gen-2, which affords 99.8 percent resolution accuracy and can be fine-tuned in 1-DPI increments. Razer says the pointer has a max sensitivity (DPI) of 35,000, a max speed (IPS) of 750, and a max acceleration (G) rating of 70.

Paired with the included HyperPolling Wireless Dongle, the right-handed pointer is capable of a true 8,000 Hz wireless polling rate.

The Viper V3 Pro utilizes Razer's Gen-3 Optical Mouse Switches, which are rated for 90 million clicks, and are designed to eliminate double-click issues and debounce delay. In total, there are six programmable buttons and one onboard memory profile.

Battery life depends on the chosen polling rate. At 1,000 Hz, users can expect up to 95 hours of runtime on a single charge. Battery life falls to 62 hours at 2,000 Hz, up to 40 hours at 4,000 Hz, and just 17 hours at 8,000 Hz. The mouse can also be operated in wired mode to eliminate battery life concerns.

Other noteworthy changes over its predecessor include larger mouse feet alongside a strategically placed DPI button, gap-separated side buttons to help reduce unintended clicks, and a smooth finish. Despite being marketed as a high-end gaming mouse, there is no RGB lighting to speak of. Perhaps Razer simply left this feature out to keep costs from going any higher, or knew their target audience likely wouldn't be interested in them.

Razer started testing a prototype version with more than 45 esports athletes late last year to help dial in the new rodent.

The Razer Viper V3 Pro is available now in your choice of black or white. You can grab it directly from the Razer store for $159.99.

Permalink to story:

I’m posting with the interest in hearing the opinions of others on this site.

I have a mouse with a 1 KHz refresh rate and I usually use it at 800 or 1600 DPI in games (I play mostly FPS). I personally find higher DPI to be too inaccurate for my liking.

I could imagine the benefits of less input lag with a higher refresh rate, but how much of a difference do others notice above 1 KHz?

Also, what DPI settings are others using? When I see a mouse with 16,000 DPI advertised, my initial reaction is “who cares?” Am I missing something?

From what I've read for people who tested high dpi, 3200 is best for input lag/latency. It's very high for most to get use to but you can get to use it after some time.
I play at 1600 the last 3 years or so. Use to play between 400-1000. Then after hearing the benefits of high dpi, I settled at 1600. Happy medium I suppose. Mainly for those who can't get use to the 3200.

From what I've read for people who tested high dpi, 3200 is best for input lag/latency. It's very high for most to get use to but you can get to use it after some time.
I play at 1600 the last 3 years or so. Use to play between 400-1000. Then after hearing the benefits of high dpi, I settled at 1600. Happy medium I suppose. Mainly for those who can't get use to the 3200.
Diminishing returns after 1600 in regards to input latency.
@LetTheWookieWin

Last edited:
I think people are a bit confused here. DPI =/= pooling rate

The pooling rate is how often the mouse gives updates to the PC and DPI is how sensitive the sensor is to movement.

@LetTheWookieWin In general anything beyond 2000Hz is not noticeable at all (especially if you are not using a 300Hz or better monitor) and the increase in CPU usage could actually hurt your FPS. besides the CPU usage issue, you will burn through your battery very fast.

Back