DC Comics unveils 'DC Universe' streaming service and its first exclusive show

Polycount

In brief: The on-demand video streaming market's growth has attracted entertainment giants of all stripes, and DC Comics is one of them. The company today unveiled 'DC Universe,' their $8/month streaming service that will host a wide variety of new and old DC shows and movies. Alongside the announcement, DC teased the service's first exclusive show, "Titans."

The online video streaming market has quickly been growing as of late, with no sign of slowing down.

Though the likes of Netflix and Hulu initially dominated the market, Amazon has expanded their Prime Video offerings substantially, and many TV networks now have their own on-demand streaming services. Indeed, the industry's growth has been so explosive that even Walmart is considering getting in on the action.

With this in mind, it should come as no surprise to learn that DC Comics, the creator of Batman, Wonder Woman, and Superman, has been quietly developing its own streaming service for some time now. Today, that service, dubbed DC Universe, has finally been unveiled.

For $74.99 a year or $7.99 per month, DC Universe will give subscribers access to a range of DC shows and movies, including Batman Beyond, Justice League, and Batman: The Brave and the Bold.

DC Universe is officially launching sometime this Fall, but you can pre-order a subscription now for a chance to win two tickets to the upcoming Aquaman premiere. Additionally, if you snag an annual membership before the service launches, you'll get three extra months of membership at no additional cost.

Regardless, DC is hoping to kick things off with a bang - like other streaming services, DC Universe will offer exclusive shows, the first of which will be "Titans." Titans appears to be a darker, live-action spin on the original Teen Titans animated series.

Permalink to story.

How many of these studio-owned streaming services are gonna have to fail before they get a clue? I mean, their exclusive is Titans, which is already a meme-worthy disaster in the making.

By the time you subscribe to a bunch of these individual studio streaming services, you'll find it will add up to the same price as that cable tether you so cleverly cut...(y)

And guess what. You'll have 200 channels of sh!t you don't watch, all things being equal..;)

Oh well, you can always rationalize it and justify it by saying, "now I'm getting exactly what I want, nothing more"!

Keep telling yourself that, as you watch the same crap reruns over, and over, and over again.

I'm sorry, that was rude. What I meant was, "our exclusive original content played to suit your lifestyle". (and because you're too lazy, too busy, and too stupid to program a DVR)..

Last edited:
I don't think I'll ever subscribe to SO MANY separate services, Netflix, and when I have free time and need specifics, pay a month o any given service, binge watch the shows I need and forget about it. At the end of the day, tha's the good thing about Streaming services, you get a month and forget, not a 18 month contract!.

If they keep getting content out of Netflix to launch new services people (like me) will end up Torrenting like the old days. I'm in Dominican Republic, HELL I have to use VPN to get some services at times, like Hulu and Prime.

Honestly the only DC related movie I've seen that was any good was Wonder Woman. The rest were just OK at best, in my opinion. Now their cartoons such as Batman, could be a hit for the service. Actually on that note, I'll also say the Christopher Nolan Batman movies were great, so not just Wonder Woman.

Back