DDR5 memory kits reach $400, and most have sold out

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Intel finally lifted the lid on its Alder Lake processors yesterday ahead of the 12th-gen CPUs' November 4 release date. It will be the first desktop platform to support DDR5, and the memory kits are already available to pre-order—some have been a for a while—but the early adopter tax is evident, and many products are already sold out.

With Alder Lake, which you can read all about here, buyers can choose between using DDR4 and DDR5, though not at the same time, and the type you use will likely depend on what your motherboard supports.

Those opting for DDR5 will get all the memory's benefits, such as access to XMP 3.0, but it comes at a much higher cost than its DDR4 predecessor. Looking at Newegg, the site's cheapest DDR5—16GB of Crucial DDR5 4800—is $115, while the only other 16GB DDR5 is OLOy's Blade kit for $159. Crucial also has the cheapest 32GB kit, which is $211.

Newegg's 32GB DDR5 prices climb all the way to $369 for GeIL's Polaris RGB DDR5 5200, which has been available for a couple of weeks now. For those who want to pack their Alder Lake motherboard with 64GB of DDR5 4800, the only kit on the site right now is from Crucial and costs $400.

It seems that plenty of PC fans have already decided to switch to DDR5. The only kit on Newegg not sold out is Crucial's 16GB product that's set to launch on November 4. Amazon also appears to have sold out of DDR5 kits, as does Corsair's website, where they start at $289 and go up to $359.

In yesterday's performance preview, Intel said that DDR5 should be faster for gaming than DDR4 based on its testing but added that mature DDR4 still performs well. We'll have a clearer picture after doing our own tests on Alder Lake and DDR5 next week.

DDR5 is predicted to hold more market share than DDR4 by 2023. One would expect the former's price to be more comparable to the latter's by this time.

Permalink to story.

These are the same "customers" of the 3090 Scalper Edition and future 3090 Ti "customers" too... because +5% performance... and a lack of top floor cognitive functions.

I don't think you realize that some people have alot of money and don't care what the price is, they just want the best.

Are people stupid because they can buy what they want and don't have to care about price? Hmm. 1500 dollars is peanuts for some people, including me, however I still settled with a 3080 Ti instead of 3090 😂

I guess the real question is: how much do I need for gaming at max settings in DCS WORLD?

Crucial’s 32GB kit ain’t half bad!

So much green venom in the comments on this site when it reports on enthusiast products selling out at enthusiast prices.

Yeah it’s bad value but there are a lot of rich PC gamers out there. If you earn enough money then spending this sort of cash on PC kit isn’t stupid. I mean there are far far more expensive hobbies out there, have you ever heard of motorsport or yachting or horse riding etc, all make PC gaming feel like a cheap night out!

Chill, be happy for people being the first getting their hands on DDR5.

So much green venom in the comments on this site when it reports on enthusiast products selling out at enthusiast prices.

Yeah it’s bad value but there are a lot of rich PC gamers out there. If you earn enough money then spending this sort of cash on PC kit isn’t stupid. I mean there are far far more expensive hobbies out there, have you ever heard of motorsport or yachting or horse riding etc, all make PC gaming feel like a cheap night out!

Chill, be happy for people being the first getting their hands on DDR5.
It's not only about the stupid high price, but also about the fact that this technology is not mature enough yet.

It's not only about the stupid high price, but also about the fact that this technology is not mature enough yet.
Sure, it’s not mature and yes it has a very high price. This sort of thing interests enthusiasts.

Are you really so limited you can’t understand why early adopters adopt products early?

Are you unaware that people exist who have enough money to be able to buy these things without it affecting their life in any way?

Come on dude, let go of the hate.

I don't think you realize that some people have alot of money and don't care what the price is, they just want the best.

Are people stupid because they can buy what they want and don't have to care about price? Hmm. 1500 dollars is peanuts for some people, including me, however I still settled with a 3080 Ti instead of 3090 😂
Throwing $$$ left and right on everything that they say you "need" and you "should buy and want" =/= intelligence or common sense or reason.
That's the modus operandus of the zombie consumers, these are the real zombies, not the ones in the movies.

Also, someone that is part of the problem will never see the problem, admit the problem or believe he himself is part of it too.

I bought the first edition Corsair dominator platinum 32gb 5200 CL 36 for 360$ as that was the only thing left available. My friend is running cl14 2133 from when ddr4 came out with his 7700k and 3090, pretty sure he is missing out on like 15-20% FPS if he would just upgrade to cl 14 3200 ddr4

Morons buying the new toy.

Well, at least the last time around, Intel, had the intelligence to push the new DDR4 launch to Haswell-E (Low initial sales meant that stressed supplies of DDR4 didn't get overrun, since the only reason to buy into the platform was to grab a cheap 6-core, if you didn't already have one on x79).

Today, they're jumping the gun to consumer platform for TWO reasons

1. There's no way in hell they could support more than 8 big cores on that crappy 10nm process node (no Alderlake-E), and
2. They will lose to Zen 3+ without this magic DDR5 potion, so they launched this one a year before Zen 4!

Well, at least the last time around, Intel, had the intelligence to push the new DDR4 launch to Haswell-E (Low initial sales meant that stressed supplies of DDR4 didn't get overrun, since the only reason to buy into the platform was to grab a cheap 6-core, if you didn't already have one on x79).

Today, they're jumping the gun to consumer platform for TWO reasons

1. There's no way in hell they could support more than 8 big cores on that crappy 10nm process node (no Alderlake-E), and
2. They will lose to Zen 3+ without this magic DDR5 potion, so they launched this one a year before Zen 4!
Lmao Intel haven’t “jumped the gun”, there is no gun! Who wouldn’t welcome faster memory? (Apart from AMD fans lol). Alder lake is ripe for DDR5. The real question is what’s taking AMD so long? Oh yes that’s it, they rely on a third party to actually make their chips and they have hardly any spare capacity in the newer node AMD needs to get to beat Intels 10nm. AMD are going to struggle over the next few years with TSMCs production going mostly to Apple.

Sure, it’s not mature and yes it has a very high price. This sort of thing interests enthusiasts.

Are you really so limited you can’t understand why early adopters adopt products early?

Are you unaware that people exist who have enough money to be able to buy these things without it affecting their life in any way?

Come on dude, let go of the hate.
With that money I can buy very good DDR4 memory and get superior performance.

12600KF listed as 299 dollars
https://www.newegg.com/intel-core-i...=12600KF&cm_re=12600KF-_-19-118-349-_-Product

5600X 309 dollars
https://www.newegg.com/amd-ryzen-5-...tion=5600x&cm_re=5600x-_-19-113-666-_-Product

12600KF should smoke 5600X easily with and without DDR5.... In fact, you should expect 12600KF to beat even 5800X in multi-threaded benchmark....

In the U.K. the 5600X is £270 (more in some retailers) and the 12600K is up for preorder at £290. Still that makes the i5 the better buy as it will include an iGPU. Oh and if the leaks are accurate it will be a lot faster.

If the GPU gods see fit to find me a GPU for sale that isn’t £600 for a 3060 then I’m going to grab a 12600K.

I saw a Gskill "Aegis DDE-4 PC-2400 2 x 4 GB set last night for $30.00. ("Just boot me RAM", but it wears like iron).

Think about that before you start whimpering about stuff you want being in the hands of scalpers.

Whatever price or availability issues currently being experienced, you have, at least in part, brought on by yourselves.

I guess the real question is: how much do I need for gaming at max settings in DCS WORLD?

A 10 GHz dual core for 4k+ pancake mode should do. 20 GHz dual core if you want to run VR… 40 GHz if you want a maxed out liberation campaign on top of that .., and a 4095ti… Kingpin edition of course. Oh, and a 2kW PSU.

A 10 GHz dual core for 4k+ pancake mode should do. 20 GHz dual core if you want to run VR… 40 GHz if you want a maxed out liberation campaign on top of that .., and a 4095ti… Kingpin edition of course. Oh, and a 2kW PSU.
Which is all well and good. Just be prepared to pay through the nose if you simply have to, "be the first kid on your block to have it".

Better timings.
Sure. There is a possibility that in some games you might get a frame or two more from super expensive, tuned DDR4. But DDR5 does have a lot more bandwidth. Also I read they mitigated the latency problem somehow. It’s also probable that the sort of people buying DDR5 now already have a tuned DDR4 setup on an older CPU.

This still doesn’t make anyone stupid for buying it. I certainly would choose DDR5 if I were buying Alder lake.

I was lucky and got my RX 5600 XT and R5 3600XT within a week of ordering last October and that was just before we saw the supply chain blow up. It's interesting though the even at the beginning of the month, I was able to order an AsRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 board and got it in a bit more then a week, mainly due to UPS not delivering on weekends where I live and that was with free shipping.

For me, the only impact I've seen has been a major increase in prices with the lack of budget hardware since things went to hades but other then that issue, I've had no problem getting stuff nor have I ever had to pay the Newegg Shuffle tax to get anything. Yes my B450M Pro4 board is working fine and no, I don't have the fastest ram (64GB of 2400) but it's stable and has survived a pair of CPU upgrades from an R5 1600 to R5 3600 and currently using an R5 3600 XT. When I install the B550 board, I'm thinking about the 3600 due to heat.

As stated, I'm going to be upgrading to a B550 in a short period since I can then move to the RX 5600 XT while using all of my SAS drives. Got four Seagate 450GB 15,000 RPM Cheetahs along with another four 900GB 10,000 RPM drives on unspecified origin but at the price I paid for, I don't care.

8C/16T CPU and 32GB RAM is the sweet spot today, if you want it to last for the next few years without problem.

We have not yet seen true next gen games, made for PC/PS5/XSX yet. These will come in 2022+

I expect 6C/6T CPUs to get same problems that Quads had for the last years (low minimums) however 6C/12T might also see lower minimum fps compared to 8C/16T.

I'd not build a PC for AAA gaming with less than 8 cores, 16 threads and 32 gigs of RAM today that is for sure.

Back