Delayed Write Failed

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the past day or so I've been getting the following error message:

Windows - Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file D:\$Mft. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere.

I've poked around some help sites and, judging from that, it seems likely that my hard drive itself may be going downhill. I'm curious if that's actually the case or if there's a fix that won't require me to buy a new drive.

Anyhow, I'm not particularly good with computers, so any help you guys can offer would be much appreciated.

This depends on what drive D:\ is on your PC. Open My Computer and if it is a CD or DVD drive or possibly a memory stick or card you should leave the media in place for a lot longer that you are doing.
If D:\ is a hard drive it might be dying so make sure you have a backup of the contents before checking it - download the manufacturer diags and run them.

Hi,

I`ve found 8 possible causes of that error.Not all them critical.

Here are the most likely -

1 Problems with a device driver, especially a SCSI or RAID device driver.

2. Cabling problems. A faulty or broken cable -- especially for an external USB or Firewire enclosure.
It can also happen if the cable is too long, or if it is hooked up through a hub that isn't up to spec.

3..Media errors.- essentially, drive failure.

4. Memory parity issues. If the problem appears after installing new memory, the memory in question
may be faulty or not of the correct type for the motherboard in question.

5.The LargeSystemCache Registry tweak and ATI video adapters

See HERE for the details and solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back