Deleted ubuntu, can't load Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I posted this originally in the wrong section but here we go:

I dual booted windows xp and ubuntu in separate partitions as the norm. But when I deleted the partitons that contained ubuntu via windows disk manager, when I start my computer it gets stuck at grub errors and wont let me proceed.

I have done ALL of the following:

I canNOT load windows from the live recovery CD. It either stops and says there is no hardrive or it says the session 3 stopped due to some error. So again I can NOT run the windows cd that my laptop came with.

I tried doing live Dos disks but can't find that actually worked for me to get to a command line to do the "fix mbr" or any other sort of commands.

I tried making a supergrub CD and that didn't work either since I dont have a floppy and the USB version is not loading correctly.

I can still get into another version of linux using my USB (i have backtrack on a usb) and when I do the fdisk -l it says that I have 3 partitions that have the NTFS/Fat file systems so I know my data is all still there I just messed up the loading portion of windows and can't fix it.

In addition, when I erased the partions in windows, nothing messed up and it was acting normal until I did the first restart.

Since I m able to load backtrack, or I assume any other live boot of linux, I was thinking of trying to do a clone of my harddrive and then reformatting the computer so that the booting gets fixed and then just try to recopy the image of the old one into the new one.....

Any suggestions?

I do not want linux right now only windows...

I do not have a floppy disk drive on my laptop, which is where it is messed up so I have to use a CD or USB.

Well, since you can boot to Linux, you could just reinstall GRUB and set it to boot to XP automatically.

Just use grub-install /dev/sda or whichever is your hard disk drive.

I had a similar problem and found the Ultimate Boot CD (google it). I was able to boot from that and run xfdisk /mbr. All fixed no problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back