Dell 3000 help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hay i have a dell 3000 (all stock parts). Now tommrow i go to COMPUSA to get a new gfx card and 2 gigs of ram...my question is should i just get a new mobo+Gcard for my dell and keep everything..(accpet the nuby 250W power supply :suspiciou) since its a dell it has a *** licking celeron D cpu 2.6GHz(wich isent to bad but could be better) should i get new one of those aswell? (by "those" i mean cpu) or should i "transplant" my old celeron D (for the win and or loss)if so im befuttled on what to wrap my greedy lil hands on(even tho i only have bout 132 dollers to spend...go on get your lulz out :blackeye:) I am also worried about the heatsink of my case...im thinking i transplant that aswell.

OR should i go ahead and try the g card wich is this one
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133245
ya i dont have 5 postes =]

and if i dont like it then just......Return it???:suspiciou

Btw im not into COD4 or cryis i want to play cabal,lunia,crossfire....and so on. nothing to epic and 2 out of 3 of those games i can play...(hardly but still i can play =p) and im only pumping out a super duper total of 94mb chipset ddr...and 256 m of ram WOOT...OH MAN PLEASE HELP ME I THINK IM GETTING STOCKHOLM SYNDROME:(. What should i do?

Your Dell windows will not work with another motherboard... so that will be another $94 to $145 depending on what you get where.
The power supply is decent, but it does not have the ability to handle a good graphics card.
Your Dell Dimension 3000 is a simple budget machine that works very well in the format with which it was sold. It doesn't have the slots for a good graphics card. It doesn't have the space for a great power supply.
You will not be able to play those games well enough with this configuration to make you happy.
Adding 2 GB or memory will help, but not enough to make it into a gamer.
Get a decent computer and sell that one to somebody who needs it.

The Dell motherboard can only support 1 gig of DDR 333MHz RAM and if you buy a new motherboard, you will likely have trouble with the Dell proprietary front panel connectors such as the power switch, leds, USB ports and the sound jack.

The Dell motherboard can only support 1 gig of DDR 333MHz RAM and if you buy a new motherboard, you will likely have trouble with the Dell proprietary front panel connectors such as the power switch, leds, USB ports and the sound jack.

actuly it can support 2 gigs...i looked it up on crucial and here-->support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim3000/en/SM/specs.htm#wp1075776

Not quite ezactly so, MailPup. We have 20 of them for our rental business. Good solid basic computer, thats 2 mb of DDR PC2700, or PC3200... no real problems with the front panel either.

Big problem is no VGA, AGP, or PCI-E video graphics slot, low power supply power of the smaller size... and not enough space for larger one.

So it is not ever going to be a gamer, though it has 2 gb, and is decent home or small office computer.

hay should i just go ahead and get this bare bone here

compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4471587&sku=B69-0017

and just buy a gfx card? i already have an hdd and dvd rw(not that i ever use it)

for 150 bucks...its not to bad eah =]

The good ones, such as the Sparkle, and the Diamond Stealth, will need more power supply than you have, so replace that as well.
Be very careful in selecting your power supply, so your power switch and exhaust fan locations are not compromised. The Dell Dimension 3000 requires a power supply of a certain configuration.
You might want to get a case fan, as well.
I doubt that you will find significantly better video output than you have with the onboard video graphics of the Dell 3000 when you use most of those PCI cards. They were designed to repair the failed cards in systems that came with their own card.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

The good ones, such as the Sparkle, and the Diamond Stealth, will need more power supply than you have, so replace that as well.
Be very careful in selecting your power supply, so your power switch and exhaust fan locations are not compromised. The Dell Dimension 3000 requires a power supply of a certain configuration.
You might want to get a case fan, as well.
I doubt that you will find significantly better video output than you have with the onboard video graphics of the Dell 3000 when you use most of those PCI cards. They were designed to repair the failed cards in systems that came with their own card.
Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

well u know..when u read the comments on new egg for the gfx card theres comments "saying im runing this card on 250 wats without a hitch so the 350w is not true." and more than 1 say that...i think its more of a reccomendation...of corse im not gonna leve my pc on over night so it shouldent be that bad. and if i dont like the card...ill just return it...

still dident anwser my question...should i buy the barebone and just add the stuff?

You have enough information to make a decision. But taking the NewEgg recommandations based upon a quick bench test tells you little.
Tell us how it goes, a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back