Dell Inspiron 5150 blank screen

I have an old Dell Inspiron 5150 (circa 2003) that I am trying to rebuild. The original problem was the famous Blue Screen of Death and I have not yet replaced the hard drive. After working with it for a while (admittedly, opening it up) I no longer have a display and since I couldn't get anything to display when connecting an external monitor either, I assumed it was the video card. I have replaced the video card and now upon pressing the power button the screen will flash (briefly light up) and then it goes black. The fans and everything run, the green light displays on the front as well but I have no idea what's going on - I still can't connect an external monitor either. I have removed and reinstalled the RAM w/ no changes.

I don't need the unit to have a bunch of bells and whistles - no Call of Duty or WOW - just hoping to get it running so my dad can use it to check mail and browse the internet.

Can someone help me out --- are all the problems caused by the hard drive? bad motherboard? Prior to the BSoD there were no issues with the laptop. Where do I go from here?

Any guidance would be appreciated

"I still can't connect an external monitor either"...

Is this a laptop or a desktop computer? Or a desktop with the monitor built in? 2003 you may have a bad power supply too

"I have replaced the video card"...

So how did you change a video card on an old laptop? The video chip is part of the motherboard right?

This particular laptop has a video card that plugs into the main board: support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/sm/palmrest.htm#1105456

(sorry, I'm a newbie here and it won't let me make that a link)

Back