Dell Inspiron 6400 - run without monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I have a dell inspiron 6400 notebook which I am planning on connecting (permenently) to my TV to use with a remote keyboard. I am planning on just putting the computer on the shelf with my dvd player etc, so I was wondering if I could completely remove the monitor part of the computer so I don't have to take it out and lift the monitor to turn it on every time. If I disconnect the LCD, will the computer run fine if attached to the TV or will this throw it off in any way?

Thanks for any help in advance,

Justin,

You do not need an external monitor for a laptop at all
Maybe I don't understand the question well enough, but a computer does not need a monitor to turn on and boot up, but a laptop has a built in screen, so I'm a tad confused anyway :confused:

Sorry...I know this sounds confusing. It is an external monitor that I do want, and the built in screen that I don't. Can I take the built in Screen off the laptop (for a couple of reasons) without it screwing up my computer? I'm picturing myself starting the computer and it giving me some sort of error message that the built in screen is disconnected, even though the external is plugged in.

Thanks again,
Justin.

I know it seems strange that I want to remove the built in monitor, but the casing is all cracked, and I want to put the computer on a shelf where it will be dificult to lift the screen to turn it on every time. The battery on the laptop is also done, and I don't want to replace it ($$$) so I was just retiring the CPU to my TV permanently.

Mine worked fine without it's native lcd, although I only booted once while changing the monitor. I read about a guy who got a bsod, but it seems like his laptop fell on the floor or something, so it's probably some other problem.

My suggestion is that you give it a try, and if it doesn't work for some reason, you can just connect it again. Just make sure you remember what cables you disconnect from where (take pictures or something).

Oh I see.

No you don't need the screen connected what so ever
Actually on all laptops I've tested internal LCD fault I've always disconnected the LCD internally (usually under the palm rest casing) and never had an issue with it starting up fully to Windows, even without the external monitor connected.

The screen is not needed, therefore if you have a cracked laptop screen you can still use the laptop basically as a Desktop with an external screen connected.

Great! Thanks everyone.

I wanted a nod from someone who knew what they were doing before I started slicing and dicing.

Thanks again.

Yea, I work for geeksquad, and actually, one of the guys I work with got a computer that was being recycled because the monitor was bad, disconnected the monitor, and bought a 7" touch screen monitor off ebay for 90 dollars, and got it running with the touch ability and all and is putting it into his car... pretty nice, a full touch screen in dash computer for only 90 dollars... I guess it pays to know some of these things, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back