Dell Inspiron can't write to DVD but can to CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_m

Hi there, I'm trying to fix a problem with my sisters laptop, she has a Dell Inspiron 6400 and is running XP. The problem is that she can't write data to DVD's in windows, she keeps getting a 'windows encountered a problem when trying to copy this file, what would you like windows to do?'. I can then retry or cancel.

The strange part is that she can write to cd's fine and also write to a dvd using third party burning software, just not in windows. Also when you open the disc in explorer it doesn't open the usual writable folder, just merely opens the disc.

If anyone can help, we would be much obliged as she is going back to uni soon.

Regards,

Will

Souds like your sister is infected with a virus or other malware

Really? Seems a strange thing for virus to do. I did some further research and there seems to be a lot of people saying that writing data to a dvd isn't possible in xp using windows explorer and that dvd burning has to be handled by a third part app. Can't find any confirmation from ms on this though. Please keep the suggestions coming!

Regards

You're not too familiar with the world of virus and other malware infections are you... Have you even done a scan of any kind to check for infection?

Maybe not as much as you, just seems a strange thing to have happened everything else is working as it should. She uses mcafee which is set to do auto scans and it hasn't returned any results but I shall try a manual scan. What are your thoughts on the possibility that it's not actually possible to write to dvd in xp, (as i mentioned earlier a lot of others seem sure it's not possible). I have in Vista that's for sure but I can't actually ever remember doing it in XP.

Regards,

I don't think Windows XP can write to DVDs from inside explorer. Although I do remember seeing something about an add on from Microsoft that enables support.

Thanks! I shall see if I can find that then, I have Nero myself but my sister could make use of that.

Regards,

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back