Dell Optiplex 755 invalid_work_queue_item BSOD

Status
Not open for further replies.

samurai uk

Hello,

Over the last few months I've been experiencing random restarts, followed by the message "widows has recovered from a serious error"

I have now disabled the feature that forces a restart on a system crash and now get the BSOD with the message invalid_work_queue_item.

I've done a bit of googling and looked on here, which has lead me to the assuption that its a driver problem (probably one windows has pulled down on its own)

The problem is that my knowledge of PC systems is average at best and I've not been able to find out what driver is causing the problem (i found my mini dump folder but can't open the files there and I'm fairly sure if I did I wouldnt know what I'm looking at)

Does anyone know of a way I can at least narrow down the culprits so that I can hopefully resolve this. Its my work PC and these crashes are now costing me bags of time (which I'm having to make up in my own time!)

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreceated.

Thanks
Simon

Please check for minidumps in your system's C:\windows\minidump folder, if there are multiple files, please zip them, and attach that zip file with your next post. Regards

Hopefully this should be what you're looking for.

Thank you again.

-------

Sorry - I didnt zip! This one should be correct I hope.

Attachments

• Minidump.zip
    96.8 KB · Views: 2
I have gone through your minidumps and as I am at work, I will not be able to propose solution right away without looking for more needed information.

However, have you added any new hardware to your dell machine recently?

Please download and run Dell Crash Analysis Tool (DCAT, and run it, then come back with its results.

Note: I will update this same post after going through the minidump results bit more thoroughly to night. Regards

Hello,

I've not added any new hardware to this machine since the problem began but to be completely honest with you, I've put up with this for a few months now so it might be that I'm not recalling correctly; sorry.

If I can get you any more info or reports from the system then please just let me know. Don't worry about not being able to reply today. I completely understand. This problem has eaten enough of my own work time without it taking a bite out of yours.

The machine is working most the time anyway, bar the random BSOD but i've had one today and so hopefully it wont rear its ugly head again until tomorrow (tends to be about once a day)

I'm not sure if its relevant but today the crash happened while outlook was trying to open up and retrive data (it actually had a progress bar on the screen at the time) The problem seems to crop up when I try having my machine do multiple things at once, its like if the work load gets to big it just throws a tantrum and stops working.... :)

Okay. So I've run that tool and the message I'm getting is that NavEx15.Sys may require a driver or application update.

After snooping on google I can see that its part of the Norton anti virus package. The anti virus we have here is Symantec Endpoint Protection, which i'm guessing is the same thing as Norton seems to be by Symantec. The odd thing is that my anti virus is reporting that its bang upto date (antivirus, proactive and network protection) and I've never heard of a driver for an anti virus, let alone know how to update one.....

Based upon countless other threads with regard to problems with Norton, I'd suggest you to uninstall it completely from this system, till we get to the bottom of this issue.

Also, kindly download Norton Removal Tool from symantec's site and run it after uninstalling the Norton AV.

As an interim replacement you can try out Avira or Avast or AVG's free antivirus solutions. These are all pretty good.

Also do you have any other "software from Dell installed on this machine?"

I wouldn’t touch Norton myself, I personally use Avast on my home PC and its always kept me safe, even when trawling through sites with dubious intentions.

Unfortunately I'm unable to remove symantec from this machine, its my work PC and the anti virus is part of the desktop package, to remove it would leave me open to disciplinary action if anything happened.

I really appreciate your time with this. I think my next port of call will have to be the global I.T......... At least I have that report RE NavEx15.Sys causing problems, maybe they can pick up the crumb trail and find out why their anti virus is causing me problems.

Judging from past experiences I'm not exactly confident they will fix the issue (last time they couldn’t get the anti virus to update they forced a complete hard drive re build on me which took weeks!) However, if they do come up with a sensible solution, I'll be sure to post back here in case anyone is having similar problems.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back