Dell Power Supply Interchangeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today when I wanted to start my Dell Dimension 9200, it didn't. All that happenend was that an orange light kept blinking on the front.
As far as I've gathered from various forums, it seems to be the power supply most likely. The thing is, I have another older Dell (Dimension 9100) from 2005 sitting around and I was wondereing if I could just exchange the power supplys to test if thats the problem. As far as I can tell, there isn't much of a difference between the two PSUs, one being called L375P-00 (the new one from 2007) and the old one is N375P-00.
Anyone know if I can trade these parts without risk? If you want, I can give you more data on what the stickers on the PSUs say.

Thanks!

Yes, it will not hurt anything to change to the other power supply.
But you might want to look very closely at the cause of failure before you do that, so you don't blow another power supply.

Is there really a risk in damaging the other PSU aswell?
Or how else can I detect what the cause is? No warranty anymore btw. How can I detect if its the PSU other than measuring it with a device I don't have and don't want to buy if not necessary.

Thanks

Is there really a risk in damaging the other PSU aswell?
There is no inherit risk from changing the powersupply, HOWEVER, since your last powersupply apparently died, there is the possibility that something else is wrong with your computer and that caused your powersupply to fail, if that is the case, then the same could happen to your new one.
Aside from that, the powersupplies are compatible.

Unless you suspect something out of the ordinary happened to your machine it's probably likely that PSU just gave up the ghost. Just hook up the other PSU and see if your machine boots. It isn't that risky and your gonna need power to find whats up with the machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back