Dell XPS 15 2-in-1 Review: Kaby Lake-G Inside

My wife bought this model when it first came out. I'll echo all the complaints of this article. The thing she loves the most, and really impressed me, was the extremely high quality of the 4k display and how easy it was to draw and annotate on the laptop.

Most important: the reviewer didn't have same trouble as many other earlier adopters: Extremely high thermal temperatures and throttling.

Many people on Reddit, including my wife's model, were far too hot to be used. Typing on the keyboard was physically painful due to the heat. The heat also caused extreme throttling that made the laptop feel extremely sluggish for a high end model. After watching Netflix for 10 minutes it would become borderline nonresponsive because the CPU/GPU would throttle so much. This was with the fans sounding like something off of a plane.

She also tried using an external laptop cooler underneath the laptop. It didn't completely solve the throttling.

It's my understanding a firmware update essentially under-clocked the hardware to better adjust the thermal load.

My wife bought this model when it first came out. I'll echo all the complaints of this article. The thing she loves the most, and really impressed me, was the extremely high quality of the 4k display and how easy it was to draw and annotate on the laptop.

Most important: the reviewer didn't have same trouble as many other earlier adopters: Extremely high thermal temperatures and throttling.

Many people on Reddit, including my wife's model, were far too hot to be used. Typing on the keyboard was physically painful due to the heat. The heat also caused extreme throttling that made the laptop feel extremely sluggish for a high end model. After watching Netflix for 10 minutes it would become borderline nonresponsive because the CPU/GPU would throttle so much. This was with the fans sounding like something off of a plane.

She also tried using an external laptop cooler underneath the laptop. It didn't completely solve the throttling.

It's my understanding a firmware update essentially under-clocked the hardware to better adjust the thermal load.

Hello !

I have this XPS 15 9575 model, and I don't have this problem.
Did you check your energy mode in windows 10? (High performance or low)
You can also create an power saving mode in windows 10 and even set a limit CPU usage.
Did you check the cooling parameters in the dell power manager application (installed by default) ?
Did you put your computer directly on a pillow or something that makes cooling more difficult.
Or simply launched an other app in the background that uses CPU or GPU a lot ?
Or maybe you were in tablet mode in a very hot and sunny day ? :p

Back