Demonoid's tracker flickers to life, website remains dark

Rick

Prominent semi-private torrent tracker Demonoid is once again showing signs of life, although the website itself remains a lifeless cadaver. What this means for Demonoid is anyone's guess, but during the site's 2009 sabbatical, the website returned just weeks after its tracker was reanimated.

Demonoid, a long-time destination for BitTorrent users, was forcibly shut down several months ago after its Ukrainian host bowed to pressure by European authorities. Just prior to the plug pulling though, Demonoid's admin was already battling a crippling DDoS attack and a vulnerability which was blamed also for potentially damaging the website. However, Demonoid's operator seemed optimistic about resuming service but we've heard little since. 

Interestingly, TorrentFreak points out that Demonoid's tracker now seems to originate from Hong Kong instead of Eastern Europe. Is it possible Demonoid has found a new home? Although generally speaking, Asia is rife with copyright violators, a brief look at Hong Kong copyright laws (pdf) reveals a country that doesn't seem particularly inviting to BitTorrent site operators.

Following reports of related arrests in Mexico, Demonoid's .me, .com and .ph domains were up for sale in August, making the chances of a relaunch seem incredibly slim. However, in September, the Demonoid team told TorrentFreak that they were working on getting their email operational after someone noticed a DNS change made to demonoid.me. Although site operators indicated that getting the site back up wasn't on the immediate agenda, they didn't rule it out.

After the tracker came back online, TorrentFreak attempted to contact Demonoid's operators for comment. There has been no response.

Permalink to story.

AS I remember it; the MPAA/RIAA got all pissy and called on their lobbyists to pressure their people to pressure Canadian politicians.. legally 'we' pay a sur-tax on ALL recording media and devices to cover any copyright infringements.. but some provinces, Ontario in particular, are as shot gun litigious as the MPAA and rely on the threat of costs of going to court in Ontario for settlements. It's a scam of course, but it was enough once before, ( via the feds on behalf of the MPAA/RIAA ), to push Demonoid out of Canada.

Omg Demonoid sucks. I gave my account away years ago. Who wants to wade through the most unorganized site in the world? And more than half the torrents weren't even [in] English. Useless site. Why is this site still in the news after so long? I don't get it.

You sound like you work for the labels. Everything I saw on Demonoid was in plain English, torrents were always heavily seeded and it was the fastest place to find leaked music outside of private trackers and IRC.

I speek english but dont understand and not falf but 95% not speek, english is anti mind language, only some good humor only, Benny Hill, Rowan Atkison, haha

Demonoid was the best for rare stuff that you couldn't find anywhere else. I was, for instance looking for Lute music the other day, and I know Demonoid would have had something up. I'm happy it's coming back, but there is only one country to host it - SEALAND!

Demonoid is actually well organized. Perhaps user error made the experience less bearable? Maybe you should consider not using a computer and checking yourself into a facility for the mentally disabled? Scratch that part, most retards can use a computer.

Am missing Demonoid so much, all these other sites have nothing other than popular tv and movies which take forever to download. I could get almost anything I ever wanted from demonoid.

Those who say Demonoid sucked?

Demonoid was one of the very few GOOD Piracy/tech sites on the web, for every pirate it has 5 Knowledgeable users sitting on the forums looking to help anyone's problem, The take down wasn't a big ordeal because it was a piracy site it was a big ordeal because the take down just kicked a vital part of the community in the ***, And if you look at Demonoid as terrible, your most likely a Leech who couldn't find the software/movie/etc. that you wanted.

So good day

SMH You are seriously mistaken Demonoid is the best, for everything! cant wait till they are back online! SQUEE!

I had a weird response from the Demonoid site as where it is one of my home pages and something came up it was not the Demonoid home page but it looked like a start on it, it did have a search bar (it was not a functional one) I must say I believe that Demonoid is coming back online very soon

"hahahanoobs said:
Omg Demonoid sucks. I gave my account away years ago. Who wants to wade through the most unorganized site in the world? And more than half the torrents weren't even [in] English. Useless site. Why is this site still in the news after so long? I don't get it."

Leacher

EXCUSE ME!! I beg to differ there were other sites better than Demonoid out there although Demonoid was good it did NOT!! have everything I wanted TBP had alot of stuff that Demonoid didnt which is where I got most of my stuff from I only used Demonoid now and again

Back