Desktop Shortcut Icons Dont Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

wackobird

This has me baffled... Here's a rundown of what I had been doing and when I noticed the problem:
I had problems with my ISP connections, so I downloaded peoplepc for the 30 day free trial until my regular ISP got the access numbers fixed. (Dialup... sigh... )
Once the program was installed, it killed the acclerator program for my regular ISP and installed its own. The interface was similar to AOL. I checked my usual ISP several times a day and within a week, the access numbers were working again.
I contacted PeoplePC and cancelled that account, and uninstalled the software. Immediately after rebooting, I noticed some of the shortcuts had the icon for IE, some had the icon for Firefox, and I even had icons for Netscape, which I've never used on this machine.
When I connected to the internet and double-clicked an icon for one of my shortcuts, (I do have many shortcuts on the desktop) an IE window opened... then nothing... no data going out or coming in. I right-clicked the icon, copied the addy and pasted it into the window.... hit go, and off it went. UGH! I tried another shortcut icon that had morphed into a Firefox icon with the same result. Same thing with the ones that now show a Netscape icon. :dead:
When I click the IE icon for Internet Explorer to open, it functions normally... taking me to my chosen homepage.
I have tried every shortcut, and none of them take me to the page it should, and all of them open IE... they just dont do anything after that. I tried creating new shortcuts, and they play dead also.
I use AVG anti-virus and Ad-Aware SE, and both of them showed nothing new. I did an online scan with Panda anti-virus and it also reported no issues or virus. The pc is a Gateway, less than a year old, running Windows XP Media Edition.
I'm hoping this is a simple setting that needs to be tweaked and I'm out of ideas. Thank you in advance for any advice.

That program peoplepc sounds as bad as AOL its like a virus it self. You could try a system restore. Start,programs,acessories,system tools, then system restore to a date before you installed peoplepc.

I agree... its very very similar to AOL with its interface and it definitely doesnt play well with others.
The first thing I tried was system restore to earlier date... and it didnt help. That really surprised me. Restoring is usually my first stop when things look wonky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back