Desktop won't boot up after power cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently had lightening overhead followed by a power cut the following day (I'm pretty sure the PC was switched on) and despite having the plug plugged into a surge protector the PC will not boot up.

When you press the power button the tower switches on (lights also flash on the keyboard) and then the 1st boot up sequence page appears which has on it:

Boot Menu [F10]
Bios [F2]
a logo that says 'Pentium inside'
and the manufacturers logo 'emachines'

Nothing happens when I press F10 or F2.

The computer is an emachines E4036 media centre thing.

Can anybody help, many thanks

Sounds as if the motherboard may have had a belt through the phone wire connected to your modem - not all of these go through surge protection, sadly. Please confirm that there is a phone connection to the machine?

Sounds as if the motherboard may have had a belt through the phone wire connected to your modem - not all of these go through surge protection, sadly. Please confirm that there is a phone connection to the machine?

Thanks for the prompt response

Yes, there is a phone connection to the machine and it does not go through surge protection.

If it is the motherboard what is the solution (is it a matter of replacing it and is this costly) and will the data on my hard drive be recovereable?

I can also confirm since posting my query I have down a re-power as advised by emachines (holding the 'on' button in for 30 seconds with no power connected) to no avail.

Prognosis not good - sorry,
Turn it off but leave it mains connected to earth it.
Take the lid off and remove the modem - find this by the cable to it - and reboot.
If it works the surge took out the modem so you could replace it. If not then the surge has ruined the motherboard and replacement is the only option. A PC workshop is what you really need to test the various components to see what has survived. If you are in the UK midlands I can help you.
Your data should be safe but until you test you cannot be sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back