Despite decline in sales, Apple has sold its billionth iPhone

Scorpus

Staff member

Apple is today celebrating an important milestone: the sale of its one billionth iPhone. Despite iPhone sales declining over the past two quarters, Apple is still selling enough devices to have reached this milestone in the nine years since the original iPhone launched.

At a meeting with employees at Apple's headquarters in Cupertino, CEO Tim Cook stated that "iPhone has become one of the most important, world-changing and successful products in history." And he's not wrong: the first-generation iPhone, which launched in June of 2007, essentially started the smartphone revolution.

Looking at iPhone sales data paints an incredible picture. Despite the nine-year history of the iPhone, Apple has sold just under half a billion iPhones in the last two years, which illustrates the huge growth Apple has achieved.

While sales are declining year on year, Apple is still posting impressive figures for each quarter. In the last three months the company sold 40.4 million iPhones, which is down on the 47.5 million devices in the same quarter last year, but enough to post $24 billion in revenue from just the one product. In comparison, Microsoft's entire quarterly revenue was $20.6 billion.

Apple will see its typical spike in iPhone sales next quarter thanks to the release of the iPhone 7, which is expected to be unveiled in September.

Permalink to story.

If Apple can't push as many units as they were, won't they just raise the price per phone?

They could even make it out as though they were the victims:

Sic:

"we generously gave our workers at Foxconn a 10 cent an hour wage increase. With sales being off, this backed us into a corner where profit margins were so slim, we couldn't guarantee our world class customer service to remain as such. Accordingly, it is with great regrets, and heavy hearts, we must announce a $100.00 (US), increase in suggested retail price of the iPhone
>( insert model # here)<.

Last edited:
It would be nice to have a global minimum wage for companies based in first world countries which has to be topped up by the local wages. These steps will go some way to stop exploitation.

EXCELLENT WORK APPLE.

I personally am responsible for 7 of those phones sold and I will be moving from iPhone 6s+ 128GB to the iPhone 7+ 256GB.

My iPhone has been an INVALUABLE workhorse in making my Youtube videos. I'm earning a little over $2000 a month from Youtube alone and it not only pays for my Hellcat and Jeep SRT but has paid for my Administration masters degree.

Youtube paid OFF my student loan debt.

Couldn't have done it without iPhone.

Good for Apple, that company was just about done for at one point.
The conversation Gates/Jobs had at that one interview is something every IT Pro needs to see.

While I am no Apple fan I have no issue with their mojo.
It makes technology accessible for tech-illiterates and thats good for everyone.

Mcdonald has sold billions upon billions of hamburgers. You usually get these phones for an equivalent monthly cost if you ate hamburgers every day like I do (not really), so nothing new.

EXCELLENT WORK APPLE.

I personally am responsible for 7 of those phones sold and I will be moving from iPhone 6s+ 128GB to the iPhone 7+ 256GB.

My iPhone has been an INVALUABLE workhorse in making my Youtube videos. I'm earning a little over $2000 a month from Youtube alone and it not only pays for my Hellcat and Jeep SRT but has paid for my Administration masters degree.

Yeah well, if you're doing all that well with YouTube, you should probably show some mercy toward your followers and spring for a real camera.

EXCELLENT WORK APPLE.

If you are the Bigtruckseries I found then you are just lying out of every orifice. That account has less than 20k subs and the most popular video has less than a million views and is over 2 years old. You probably don't even make money since you probably aren't monetized and if you were I expect a few dollars a month maybe. So either put up your link to this multi-million sub account or admit you are a raging iFan who has to lie to make himself feel better about his iObsession.

@camakazi You missed all the good stuff. "bigtruckseries" is practically an entertainment empire.
There's "working out with.... 156 views

Then there's "cooking with........hot wings 412 views

Which, hard to even conceptualize, actually had an ad in front of it.....

I am scared though,that someday someone will invent a "Steady Cam" harness for those iCraps, and then Hollywood will be quaking in it's Monolo Blahniks. "Oh no, is this the end of summer movies as we know them"? Well, judging by the sampling I just linked from YouTube, not hardly, not yet.

Back