Diablo IV becomes Blizzard's fastest-selling game in less than 24 hours (Update: More...

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member
Smokin'! Diablo IV officially launched to all players less than 24 hours ago, and it is already a smash hit. In addition to a fairly smooth early access period, Blizzard claims the game has had the best release in company history, breaking sales records and accumulating a combined player-logged game time of nearly 100 million hours in four days.

Update (June 7): A TechSpotter alerted us to a small error in our original report regarding the number of Acts in Diablo IV. We initially reported that the game only has three Acts, as opposed to the four-act format of the rest of the titles have followed. This assumption was based on the fact that the quest list only lists Acts 1, 2, and 3. However, a reader who has completed the campaign says there are actually six acts.

"Once you complete Act 2 and Act 3 [of the] story, another will appear until you progress through all the zones and the last, uh, 'hidden' zone," TechSpotter Thannos wrote.

This revelation does make more sense than the game only having three parts considering its map is massively larger than any of its predecessors. Three acts seem inadequate to tell a story involving such a vast expanse. We apologize for any confusion.

Diablo IV is barely out of the gate and has already broken several Blizzard records. A press release states that in just under 24 hours, the game has become the developer's fastest-selling title of all time. It also claimed the game broke all pre-order records for both console and PC. In just the "four days of early access," pre-order players have logged over 93 million hours (10,000 years) in the game.

While the company stopped short of revealing actual numbers, the hours played in such a short time seem to indicate the game is doing quite well. The real question is, how are those numbers affecting server loads?

I have been playing since June 1 and can say that, at least for me, interruptions and issues logging in have been minimal. Once, the game unexpectedly booted me and would not let me back on for about 10 minutes. According to Blizzard support, this known issue occurs after several consecutive login attempts. It happened even though I only tried getting back on once.

Before the game opened for early access, Blizzard claimed it was "really confident" that the launch would go off without a hitch. Whether it meant the early access launch is debatable. More than likely the developers used early access as one last "Server Slam" to dial in server capacity and game optimization before the official launch.

"This is a moment years in the making for the Diablo IV team," said Diablo General Manager Rod Fergusson. "We're extremely proud to offer players the richest story ever told in a Diablo game."

Indeed, the developer recently promised quarterly content drops, including fresh storylines and cosmetics. This week, it reiterated that commitment when announcing two expansions are already under development and coming soon.

Early reviews have also helped drive sales, with at least a few publications giving Diablo IV a perfect score. It's hard to hand out a perfect score to an always-online just because it requires being online. By its very nature, it raises problems when you have to wait 10 minutes before you can start playing because of server issues when all you want to do is play solo.

That said, my time in the game has been enjoyable. The story is compelling, and some of the lore, such as what happened to Tristram since D3, is surprising. Combat is as satisfying as any Diablo game, and the creative minds at Blizzard have come up with some new cool-looking gear with more to come.

My only real gripe with D4 is its monetization. I don't care for microtransactional models, especially for a $70+ game. However, all shop items are purely cosmetic, so there is no need to fork over another cent to Blizzard. The game also only has three acts compared to the usual four, which means if Blizzard plans to charge for additional content, Act 4 better be free lest players revolt. We'll have to wait to see what Blizzard does with those upcoming expansions.

Permalink to story.

But but but pc gaming is dead they told us. It wasn't so that naive investors sell Nvidia and Blackrock buys billions worth of shares making of 2.5x within a matter of months. Now they are saying that Nvidia will go to $1k so that they buy high. Can't make these things up. 🤦‍♂️

Nobody should ever have to be online to experience a single-player game mode. Ever.
Unfortunately with Microsoft buying up every studio and now rumors that Sony made an offer to buy Cdproject red the gaming developedment space is becoming more of monopoly by the days. We can only hope that independent devs game deliver on what you speak of.

Unfortunately with Microsoft buying up every studio and now rumors that Sony made an offer to buy Cdproject red the gaming developedment space is becoming more of monopoly by the days. We can only hope that independent devs game deliver on what you speak of.
Who cares about cd project red!? They are talking the same bs as the rest of them!

Played the early access with no queue and no disconnects. I'm not sure that has ever happened for me before on any major release. I'm pretty impressed with the server team's work on this one.

I played the beta and server slams and while it was enjoyable enough, it was also 'same old' enough to hold off on buying until I've cleared some older titles out of my Steam library. Won't hurt that it'll have been patched and re-balanced umpteen times by then either.

Complaining about "three acts instead of the usual four"? If the game's long enough then who cares how the story's been subdivided as long as the experience you get is enjoyable? There's no justification for demanding a DLC pack be free just because you think you've been short changed. Any future fourth act will invariably contain masses of new graphical content so definitely won't be given away for free, not in a world where people will happily pay the price of an entire indie game just for a skin. Thousands of people have proven they're willing to spend 50+% more just to play the same game before other people can, let alone those buying cosmetics after the fact. There's zero incentive to provide free content unless Blizzard need to buy some good will for some reason.

Played through the entire campaign already and I absolutely loved it. Now I'm doing the endgame activities and working on the gear grind and can definitely see myself putting thousands of hours into this. I've played every Diablo game since release, and up until the end of May still played D2 and I have to say that the story, cutscenes, lore, all of it in D4 was by far the best I have ever experienced. I can't wait to see where else they take the Diablo story in the future.

Also, I'm not sure why they said the game only has 3 acts, there are technically 6 acts in the story. I hope I would know since I've beaten it already.

Last edited:
This was confirmed categorically false by CD Projekt Red themselves. They were made up rumours.
Well thank goodness for that until Microsoft makes a bigger offer. Hopefully not fingers crossed . I mean I would say it was a false rumor if under nda which these things usually are under. Don't mind me it's probably the psuedophendrine talking I'm on for sinus.

I was in the “it’s not a big deal” camp until this morning. I took the day off work, loaded the game, and while I was on the character select screen, the internet went out in the house and it’s been down all day.

Rip
tbh for most games that just want to do a random check every now and then tethering to your phone gets around that. If you're on a restrictive mobile plan don't use the internet for anything else you normally do on your PC and tell Windows you're using a 'metered connection' so it doesn't pull in updates.

(Not saying I support always online single player games, but if their network traffic is minimal it is yet to actually affect me)

But but but pc gaming is dead they told us. It wasn't so that naive investors sell Nvidia and Blackrock buys billions worth of shares making of 2.5x within a matter of months. Now they are saying that Nvidia will go to $1k so that they buy high. Can't make these things up. 🤦‍♂️
Did they said somewhere how much has been sold on pc? 90pct? Or 10pct? Not sure what are you commenting about really ...

Did they said somewhere how much has been sold on pc? 90pct? Or 10pct? Not sure what are you commenting about really ...
My bad I assumed it was mostly PC gamers. Is anyone playing this on consoles? Can't find the breakdown of each platform.

Played through the entire campaign already and I absolutely loved it. Now I'm doing the endgame activities and working on the gear grind and can definitely see myself putting thousands of hours into this. I've played every Diablo game since release, and up until the end of May still played D2 and I have to say that the story, cutscenes, lore, all of it in D4 was by far the best I have ever experienced. I can't wait to see where else they take the Diablo story in the future.

Also, I'm not sure why they said the game only has 3 acts, there are technically 6 acts in the story. I hope I would know since I've beaten it already.
AH perhaps the other acts appear later? I've just started act two and there are still only act 2 and act 3 showing in my quest list.

Yes, once you complete act 2 and act 3 story another will appear until you progress through all the zones and the last, uh, "hidden" zone.
Thanks for that. It's good to know. I'll update the story to reflect this new information.

Server experience has been excellent since playing the early access version last week. BLIZZARD has delivered a winner on every level with DIABLO IV even making the store pretty much invisible. Now all we need is a offline mode and everyone would be happy and even more players will be buying/playing.

Server experience has been excellent since playing the early access version last week. BLIZZARD has delivered a winner on every level with DIABLO IV even making the store pretty much invisible. Now all we need is a offline mode and everyone would be happy and even more players will be buying/playing.
Totally agree and concur. I participated in the second beta and the Server Slam, and both were fairly smooth rides--enough that I was willing to pre-order the deluxe edition to get early access. Likewise, early access was relatively smooth--actually smoother than I anticipated. There were only a couple of hiccups for me, one of which I mentioned in the article, but they were fairly minor connectivity problems.

My main problem with D4 is--yeah--just it being online only. I don't really care for MP games and D3 I always played solo except for the rare occasions I partied up with friends. So, waiting in a queue or getting booted from my game because of server or other connectivity issues is not ideal. I would much rather play D4 offline, but I'm taking it for what it is. It's not a deal breaker at this point, so I can be chill about it.

However, it did piss me off when I got booted during a four-stage boss battle, and I had just finished the third stage. I had to start over again, which sucked, but what can you do? So far, I've really been enjoying the game. I was Jonesing for so long that I had resorted to playing clones, including Titan Quest, Torchlight 2 and 3, Divinity: Original Sin 1 and 2, Warhammer: Chaosbane, and Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem. All of those were decent games, but still not Diablo.

Back