Direct3D failure when running dxdiag tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to find out what is wrong with my PC, it started a few weeks ago, games I've been able to play suddenly have ceased to work, citing a failure in direct3D. After updating my video card drivers, rolling back my drivers to earlier settings and doing a complete system rollback (the rollbacks provided a brief fix, but that 's about it.) I'm about where I stared. I've posted the results from the dxdiag Direct3D tests below. Any help would be appreciated, and if you need me to clarify on anything, let me know.

Direct3D 7 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x80004005 (Generic failure)
Direct3D 8 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code)
Direct3D 9 test results: Failure at step 8 (Creating 3D Device): HRESULT = 0x8876086c (error code

I just spent 18 hours fixing the same problem and may have an easy fix for you.

I'm guessing you are using an AGP slot for your graphics card.

If it's a Radeon card go to control panel -> add/remove programs ->unistall all ATI drivers and Catalyst controll center

The latest drivers have no 100% support for the AGP bus. Try to install the Catalyst 7.7, it's the recommend and most stable driver for AGP cards:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/previous/radeon/radeonxip-cat77-xp.html

"Failure at step x (Creating 3D Device)" means that DirectX was not able to get an connection over the driver to the graphic hardware. Usually OpenGL use another connection to the Hardware.

You Rock!!!

Blind Dragon said:

If it's a Radeon card go to control panel -> add/remove programs ->unistall all ATI drivers and Catalyst controll center

The latest drivers have no 100% support for the AGP bus. Try to install the Catalyst 7.7, it's the recommend and most stable driver for AGP cards:

"Failure at step x (Creating 3D Device)" means that DirectX was not able to get an connection over the driver to the graphic hardware. Usually OpenGL use another connection to the Hardware.
I'm running a Radeon 9550 AGP and I just reinstalled everything on my system. It worked great before, I just nuked it because somebody had contracted a virus for me :). When I reinstalled, I was getting the error that you talked about. I've been looking for the fix for three days and this is the first solution that actually works. Thanks for the help, BD!

P.S. Has anybody told ATI that their drivers are broken?

no problem stemp, you would think they would put it on their site somewhere, I guess the days are numbered for AGP, I wonder how many people traded in their ATI card for Nvidia because of this

Blind Dragon said:

**Link removed because I(narcussist) was not allowed to post links**

I tried these but it could not find the video card to install the drivers,
I am running an ATI Radeon HD 2600Pro

it is an AGP card also but I cant get anything to work. any other help you can suggest?

thank you

?'s

narcussist said:
I tried these but it could not find the video card to install the drivers,
I am running an ATI Radeon HD 2600Pro

it is an AGP card also but I cant get anything to work. any other help you can suggest?

thank you
Did you do my DX update ?
1.What is your OS ?
If it's XP we'll go from there.It does make a difference,and easier.
XP makes this easy unless the card is damaged or not installed securely.
Do you have Internal Video ?
Explain more " I cant get anything to work " Does that include the Monitor ?

zipperman said:
Did you do my DX update ?
1.What is your OS ?
If it's XP we'll go from there.It does make a difference,and easier.
XP makes this easy unless the card is damaged or not installed securely.
Do you have Internal Video ?
Explain more " I cant get anything to work " Does that include the Monitor ?

Yes I tried your fix also

I all I can do is view, No games will play, like my NBA 08 Live, NFS-Carbon, NFS-MW, TONY HAWK 2, Steam (dod) will only play for about 2 minutes, then it starts to loop(sound) screen turn black, and loop more, until I push the power/restart button.

The mother board does not have an internal video. just the agp port, as I am running the card now.

Direct3D test fail all three, the DirectDraw works. I even tried Fragrant Coit's suggestion, and as noted in my last post even tried that.

Thank you for your quick reply.

1. Click on Start, then Control Panel, then go to Add/Remove Programs.
2. At the top of the list you should see several ATI entries. Select the entry entitled ATI Software Uninstall Utility, and click Change/Remove.
3. You will be prompted to restart your system once the uninstall is complete.
4. Once restarted, check the Add/Remove Programs list again for any remaining ATI software or other drivers that you have tried.
5. If any ATI software is still listed, click Change/Remove on those entries to uninstall each one individually.
6. Next, please scroll through the list until you find an entry called DAO
7. Select DAO, then Click Change/Remove to uninstall this program.

1.Go to link below - Double-click on the downloaded driver file. Click Run
Use the default directory for extracting the files and press the Install button.

XP Catalyst 7.7
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/previous/radeon/radeonxip-cat77-xp.html

2. Click Next on the first install screen.
3. Click Yes to the License agreement.
4. Click the Custom button.
5. Select the driver, catalyst control center and uncheck the box for steam
# The installer will start to load the display driver first.
Next you will see the WDM Capture drivers load (for VIVO or All-In-Wonder).
The Catalyst Control Center setup will start shortly after.
A dialog box will indicate the install progress.

6.Click Finish to restart your computer.

If it still doesn't work continue below
7.Device manager=> have disk
8.Select the Driver location which should be C:\ATI\Driver Folder\Driver

Thank you for the detailed walk threw.

It works, I had to do your last step to be able to find my card.

Thank you again.

Ok now I have ran into another problem. when ever I play a game, ex. Steam(dod), NBA Live 08, the game will play for about 5 minutes and crash my monitor, turn it black, like it is off, and the only way to get out of it is to restart the system.

I went back in and checked the direct3d tests, the first one shows the box but the green x and the lettering is jumbled, or blotched.

is there a fix for either of these.

Also when using the normal VGA slot to connect the monitor, the monitor will start working when the welcome screen comes up, if I switch to use the HDMI to VGA adapter I can see the computers starting screen, but I lose the svideo input. (does that sound confusing?) is there a way to get the normal VGA input to start working at the PC Start screen(this is the screen that when it boots, you can hit the del to go into the bios, and then F8 to get into safe mod)

Thank you so far for all your help

Do you have DirectX 9.0c

you can see this from dxdiag

and yes you lost me on the part about losing s-vid input when using the HDMI to VGA adapter

Do you have intel chipsets?

yes I do have DirectX 9.0c

No I have an AMD Athlon XP 2600+ on a via based mobo

ATI2600pro.JPG

as you can see in the image it has an HDMI, SVideo, and VGA

if I hook up the HDMI with the VGA to HDMI adapter for my monitor, it will boot normal, but my Svideo does not work.

If I connect my monitor directly to the VGA, the svideo will work, but the monitor will not boot till the compuer is at the Welcome screen of XP

yea I am already up to date on that (via chipset), and for the other part of my post I added to the post before your last one.

you are running dual monitors then? what lost is me is why hook up S-video out (not in) and VGA to HDMI at the same time

Did you install the Catalyst Control Center? I think there might be a setting in there to help with this

Also let me know exactly what you are using as far as monitor/monitors

Main monitor is a Cornerstone 21/75 fp 21"CRT

Second monitor is my Projector set up in clone view so when I feel like watching a movie I can watch it on the Projector.

Catalyst control center is installed. Currently I have my monitor hooked up to the standard VGA. not with the adapter from hdmi to vga.

have you played around in the setting under displays manager ->

detect displays
force tv detection

Let me know if this works

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back