DISK BOOT FAILURE while xp still installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hallo!My names are Joe Mwangi.I am a 22 year old Kenyan citizen.My PC is quite old (bought in year 2000 with a 40 GB Hard Disk Drive).

The BIOS settings for the PC are in the Hard Disk , CD-ROM and Floppy Disk order.I have been using Windows XP for about 2 years.The machine has 2 partitions:18 GB for the XP and installed software and the second 22 GB partition for data.Since three months ago,whenever I tried to copy files past the 16 GB space in the data partition,the PC reboots and gives me the following error

Verifying DMI pool data...
Boot from ATAPI CD-ROM
DISK BOOT FAILURE,INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER

If I try to restart the machine by pressing the PC restart button,it gives me the same error.It is only after I switch off the socket where the PC is connected to and re-start the computer does the machine boot from XP that in the 18 GB XP partition.It restarts nicely and things continue as normal provided I don't copy files past the 16 GB space in the data partition.

I have tried to find a solution to this problem but have failed.Eventually,I formatted my entire Hard Disk,re-installed XP and re-partitioned the Hard Disk again:18 GB XP partition and 22 GB data partition but the problem still persists.

Please help me to recover my 6 GB from my already limited 40 GB HDD.Thanks in advance.

It could be that the hard drive is failing. Test it with the manufacturer diagnostics utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back