Disk Boot Faliure

Status
Not open for further replies.

HPCE_Larry

Within the last couple weeks I built a new computer. EVGA 680i mobo, core 2 duo e6600, 8800gts, 320gb Seagate baraccuda hd, 2x1024mb Corsair Dominator Ram, ddr2 800 4-4-4-12.

I installed xp on it yesterday, and got all the drivers on it. Load temps were 48 C, so that wasn't an issue. Every so often it would BSOD. Just a moment ago I turned it on and it started doing a memory test, which it never did before. I hit ESC to skip the memory test, and get an error complaining about no ps2 keyboard/mouse. I never got that before either. I hit f1, and after it verifies the DMI pool I get the error "DISK BOOT FALIURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER".

I go into the bios and it can no longer see the hd. Everything else is pretty screwed up. All my memory settings were gone, boot order, etc. I put the boot order to boot off a CD and it doesn't do it.

The memory isn't the issue, I ran it through memtest many times before this happened and it always passed. according to the mobo LED I had error 03 previously, which was "Init Early initialized the super IO" according to the manual. Now I have FF, which simply means boot.

I'm inclined to think its the mobo, due to the bios issues. Any ideas?

A memory test and other things is a part of the normal boot-up; some of these tests can be bypassed by setting Bios to Quick Boot and many people do that.

If, for some reason, your bios gerfunkled, it may have reset itself.

Causes?

Static discharge

Bad Cmos battery (my wife had 2 different comps that cmos batteries failed on within a year)

Something intermitently shorting in the system

other stuff

the ram pasted memtest a number of times. can it cause a hard drive to no longer be seen? and the cd rom drive to no longer be seen?

Pull the battery for 20 minutes - put it back in.

If the bios doesn't see anything AND you believe the battery is GOOD, then maybe your mobo is trashed.

If new, RMA it.

I'm using the 680i mobo, is pulling the battery all I need to do to reset the bios? It has a reset button on the mobo as well, but that hasn't appeared to do anything. Anyone no what to do?

What happened HPCE_Larry ?
I had the EXACT same thing happen today with my 8800 gts mobo and I am tring to find out some fix ? Can you help ? does anyone know what happened ?I'm on a friends computer now freakin out I mean The EXACT thing happened I can't do anything I put a disc in and press enter and nuthin :( I have 2 hd they don't show the ide does not show but the memory that I purchased shows up ? any body know anythig else as far as fixes?
T1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back