Disk defragmenter

xXMagicPandaXx

[LEFT]I use Disk Defragmenter that came with my PC and I use it one or two times on weekends only, but it seems the more I use it the more my disk get's fragmented. A few weeks ago it was 1/4 fragmented, now it's getting more than half, I have a small HDD so I hardly install anything and if it is it's small games or pictures and my games are slowing down by the day. Every time the defragmenting opperation is complete I get a message saying something like "Not everything could be defragmented". I was wondering if somebody knows a good trusted free disk defragmenter I could you instead?[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]P.S. I always check for Windows Updates nearly every day and I update my drivers a lot too so I don't know what could be causing this.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]P.S.S. I also use CCleaner to Clean my registry.[/LEFT]

[LEFT]
I use Disk Defragmenter that came with my PC and I use it one or two times on weekends only, but it seems the more I use it the more my disk get's fragmented. A few weeks ago it was 1/4 fragmented, now it's getting more than half, I have a small HDD so I hardly install anything and if it is it's small games or pictures and my games are slowing down by the day. Every time the defragmenting opperation is complete I get a message saying something like "Not everything could be defragmented". I was wondering if somebody knows a good trusted free disk defragmenter I could you instead?
[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]P.S. I always check for Windows Updates nearly every day and I update my drivers a lot too so I don't know what could be causing this.[/LEFT]
[LEFT] [/LEFT]
[LEFT]P.S.S. I also use CCleaner to Clean my registry.[/LEFT]
You don't need to defrag ANY OS so often. What OS = Operating System are you using?
Windows Updates are offered EVERY 2nd Tuesday of EVERY month & is called "Patch Tuesday".
Update your drivers from the Manufactures website only unless a more knowledgeable person here says otherwise.
You don't need to use ccleaner on your registry unless directed by a person here that knows.
TOO easy to screw it up & your pc gets to be your classy door stop. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply,

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3.

My PC is going slower by the day and it's seriously affecting my gaming, sometimes when I run Defrag and CCleaner it tends to go a little better.

Thanks for the reply,

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3.

My PC is going slower by the day and it's seriously affecting my gaming, sometimes when I run Defrag and CCleaner it tends to go a little better.
Ok, we have basically the same OS. Mine is XP Pro MCE .
I used to use the built in defragger till I was told http://www.mydefrag.com/ is better. I defrag maybe once every 6 months or longer & use ccleaner as it is once a week. I've only used the registry feature ONCE & that was with help from Broni I believe it was.
The only gaming I do is Pac man .I wish you well.

Hi, Windows defragmention program is fairly slow and has almost no options aside from the basic defrag.
Today's third party programs can do much more and are faster.
It's worth using one that can do a 'boot time defrag', so that the defrag is done before Windows is running.
You won't get a normal Windows defrag sector grid, to show what is happening, it is all done with white text on a black background. You will also have to schedule the defrag until next reboot of the pc.
Also, today's programs can do a 'defrag & optimise', which can help even more, but takes more time.
There are a few that will do the job, 'Defraggler' by Piriform (the CCleaner people) and also Auslogics 'Disc defrag'.
But also worth looking at Iobit's 'Smart Defrag 2' but I don't think any are better or worse, all do a good job.
I run mine about once a week, but every other week would be fine too.
Of these, Defraggler & Smart Defrag have a 'Boot time' option, and I would say the fastest of all I have tried is Glarysoft's 'Disk speedup'.

Hi, Windows defragmention program is fairly slow and has almost no options aside from the basic defrag.
Today's third party programs can do much more and are faster.
It's worth using one that can do a 'boot time defrag', so that the defrag is done before Windows is running.
You won't get a normal Windows defrag sector grid, to show what is happening, it is all done with white text on a black background. You will also have to schedule the defrag until next reboot of the pc.
Also, today's programs can do a 'defrag & optimise', which can help even more, but takes more time.
There are a few that will do the job, 'Defraggler' by Piriform (the CCleaner people) and also Auslogics 'Disc defrag'.
But also worth looking at Iobit's 'Smart Defrag 2' but I don't think any are better or worse, all do a good job.
I run mine about once a week, but every other week would be fine too.
Of these, Defraggler & Smart Defrag have a 'Boot time' option, and I would say the fastest of all I have tried is Glarysoft's 'Disk speedup'.

Well over the last 2 years, I've used various programs to optimize, boost, defrag, etc. and months later I always find out that they actually do more damage that they do any good like Advanced System Care, etc. so I rather have a trusted program before downloading any of the ones you suggested.

I was wondering if somebody knows a good trusted free disk defragmenter I could you instead?
...so I rather have a trusted program before downloading any of the ones you suggested.
In light of your original question, your last sentence is somewhat confusing. You seem to be saying you want suggestions but not the untrustworthy suggestions these members gave you. Perhaps it would help if you stated what you consider a trustworthy program.

Well over the last 2 years, I've used various programs to optimize, boost, defrag, etc. and months later I always find out that they actually do more damage that they do any good like Advanced System Care, etc. so I rather have a trusted program before downloading any of the ones you suggested.

I accuse Defraggler of doing something to my hard drive. I defragged with it. I have only had the Hard Drive for a year and a half. When I boot up , there is something in red saying error in volume 0. I have had no problems with the hard drive reading or writing , but was told by diagnostic test that my hard drive is failing . it may not be reading and writing everything. When I defragged , Both my C drive and the drive that has my operating system stored , were checked. So both were defragged .. Maybe that is why I have the error on boot up.

I accuse Defraggler of doing something to my hard drive. I defragged with it. I have only had the Hard Drive for a year and a half. When I boot up , there is something in red saying error in volume 0. I have had no problems with the hard drive reading or writing , but was told by diagnostic test that my hard drive is failing . it may not be reading and writing everything. When I defragged , Both my C drive and the drive that has my operating system stored , were checked. So both were defragged .. Maybe that is why I have the error on boot up.
Is this http://www.piriform.com/defraggler the program you're talking about ?

Yes , that is it. But it really did not mess up my hard drive . I don't know what happened. I did not check to see what drives were checked when I defragged and the drive that holds my operating system was checked also. When I saw that it was checked , I immediately unchecked it. . That was my fault for not checking first before I defragged. Defraggler has a good reputation and it is my choice for a defragger.

I should not have said that because I have no way of knowing. said it because I allowed it to defrag the drive where my operating system is stored. Then later on Boot up , where it shows your C drive , it was in red and said error in volume 0 . But I honestly don't know that the defraggler caused this.

So please don't hold this against it. If it did , then It is my fault for not checking to see what drives were checked to defrag. I still use it. it is my choice one. it is simple to use and does a good job. Don't be afraid to use it. I trust it a lot more than some of them.

Yes , that is it. But it really did not mess up my hard drive . I don't know what happened. I did not check to see what drives were checked when I defragged and the drive that holds my operating system was checked also. When I saw that it was checked , I immediately unchecked it. . That was my fault for not checking first before I defragged. Defraggler has a good reputation and it is my choice for a defragger.

I should not have said that because I have no way of knowing. said it because I allowed it to defrag the drive where my operating system is stored. Then later on Boot up , where it shows your C drive , it was in red and said error in volume 0 . But I honestly don't know that the defraggler caused this.

So please don't hold this against it. If it did , then It is my fault for not checking to see what drives were checked to defrag. I still use it. it is my choice one. it is simple to use and does a good job. Don't be afraid to use it. I trust it a lot more than some of them.
No worry. I use http://www.mydefrag.com/ on mine & defrag about every 6 months or so.

Back