Disk drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.

topps999

ok so i have an asus disk drive its dvd r-w and i got a new 1 not sure of the make, so i install it (have to change a lead, was using a single hdd drive connecter switched to a double) then i put it in place and turn on my computer, i go in to bios, check the master and slave, both are there and look ok. i exit and get on windows, i go on my computer only to find 1 of them working (my asus) now i checked my wireing and its all in good and fine could anybody suggest a problem, (the disc tray moves in and out and it seems to read them).

Sounds as if you have a hardware conflict. What brand and model of computer is it? Is your hard drive an ATA or PATA drive, or is it a SATA?

i dont rly no anything about the new 1 because i found it... but i discovered that where u plug the cable in that has about 32pins (not sure mayb less maybe more) on the new 1 it has a little 2 pin thing saying (digital output) so im guessing its quite old and needs ANOTHER cable to attach to that then on to my motherboard? if u want i will look for details on the new 1 ( if this could help to solve the problem) THANKS FOR YOU HELP :)

Well the IDE cable does not control the power of the Drive. The molex connector (red and yellow with clear head) is the one that powers the drive. It seems that the molex is running fine because the drive is opening. Like you or someone else said, maybe the cabling is bad. New Cables are extremely cheap. I would suggest buying a new one and going from there.

i found a thred before about this but i cant find it now but im haveing trouble with my dvd rom its a errr.....PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-120 i think thats it im no good at finding infomation on the hardware any way the rom wont read any dvds i put in it will read cds tho ive just got the pc from a frend so no clue whats coing on with it and when it will work with cds and the odd dvd its slower than my gr8 gran

There is no device more failure prone these days than the unpredictable optical drive, whether CD or DVD. The average life is about a year, though some have been known to last five years.
Some drives have two, others three or four lasers. Some are drive by a wheel, others by a belt... which can wear and slip, or come off.
Usually the laser burns out. Sometimes, it merely slips a micron out of alignment. Other chips, diodes, capacitors burn out. They are made by machine for around $5.00 US so there is no quality control.
Sometimes the problem is merely a defective IDE or EIDE cable. Sometimes the jumper is incorrectly placed on the wrong pins.
If the drive is under warranty, replace it.
If not, replace it. CD-RW drives are available for $20 to $40 at Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Computer stores, and 87 locations online.
DVD Drives start at $39 and go up to $800, but the average is $44 to $49.
Easy to replace.
Be sure you have the correct one for your computer. Some are connected by 40 conductor EIDE, some are 80 conductor, 40 connector EIDE, while others are SATA cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back