Disk read error problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ginja Ninja

When we turn on our PC and boot it up it seems to stop on the screen with white writing on saying 'disk read error' It tells us to press 'Ctrl' 'Alt' 'Del' to restart the PC but then it comes up with the same error.

Is there anyway to fix this, Please Help

Regards

System Specs= Computer make, model, hard drive size, memory amount, and operating system (Windows XP?)

You probably have a hard drive failure. Take the computer to a repair shop, and have them repair it

disk read errors come from two major sources:
1) true errors on the HD
2) bad memory that corrupts the data being read.

get an HD test tool from your vendor and verify the HD.
then run CHKDSK /F from a Safe Boot

lastly, find TESTMEM and test your system's ram.

Any vendor SEAGATE/Maxtor, Western Digital, Fugitsu etc, hard drive test/install software will work for this. The vendor or manufacturers name is on a lable attached to the hard drive. You may have to remove the drive to read the lable

So what are your systems specs?

To get into Safe Mode, Press F8 before the Windows screen appears. The "disk read error" may keep you from doing this

What's the model and serial number of the Vaio? The model number should be above the keyboard near the display with the top cover open

The Serial Number is: SDM - S51

I've just pressed F2 on it and went to the BIOS Menu, I've Reordered the HDD, Floppy Drive etc. But it still comes up with the same error

If you want to boot from the floppy drive you have to have a bootable floppy in the drive. I really think you should take the Vaio into a repair shop. The computer is fine, other than a bad hard drive. You will loose all your data, and XP will have to be reloaded totally. A Sony authorized shop will do all this for you...

I hope the parts and labor will be under $250

I need the model number of the Vaio computer. SDM-S51 is the model number of a flat panel monitor

Where are you located in the World?

"What's the model and serial number of the Vaio? The model number should be above the keyboard near one side of the display, with the top cover open"..."

Oh, is this a desktop Vaio and not a laptop? If it is a desktop, the model number may be on the front or on a lable in the back or side of the system

CPU 1.8GHz
Memory 256MB DDR
Hard Drive 40GB
Windows XP Home

Desktops are much easier to work on, than laptops are. You are still in the same boat. Unless you have a friend that can do this hard drive replacement for you, you will have to take it into a repair shop

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back