Display Driver Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver Version 266.58 stopped responding an

overflow

Hi,

I was working with an audio recording software just now when I faced this error (in the subject line). The screen blacked for 10 seconds or so and then came back.

Also, I faced similar errors when I was using Power Point and a screen recorder software but the error was a bit different nvlkdm has stopped working. Also, I had just installed IE 9 beta (hardware acceleration), opened the first site and the system crashed and I had to do a hard reboot and unistall IE 9 to save my life from such errors again. The errors are just random. The nVidia drivers are downloaded the official nVidia and are the latest available for my DELL XPS M1530 with 8600M GT. (OS Win 7 Ultimate 32bit)

I also got two BSOD's at different time with a message saying:
"Unable to reset the display. A problem occured with the display driver driver"
I noted this error code on the blue screen
000000x16 nvlddmkm.sys
Dumping physical memory etc. etc.

There are no Minidumps being formed in Windows/Minidump (I just enabled them now), so I wasn't able to post any of them :-|
All temperatures normal, RAM test with Windows Memory Diagnostic/memtest/DELL Diagnostics pass, no overclocking.
However, I perfomed the stability test with Furmark for my grpahics acrd and the display started flickering with dots. Earlier when I installed the driver and had the performed the stability, it had ran absolutely fine for more than 20 min.
I read somewhere it can be an issue of Windows Update KB2454826 and I looked it in Installed upadtes to uninstall this but I didn't see it listed there.

i,

I unistalled the previous driver 266.58, clened using a driver sweeper. I installed the drivers that came with my system from DELL (At that time, I had Vista).

I installed the drivers in Compatibility Mode for Win Vista SP2. After this, when I performed the test, the system still crashed and I got this error on the desktop.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 124
BCP1: 00000000
BCP2: 8797F024
BCP3: 00000000
BCP4: 00000000
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
E:\Windows\Minidump\020711-32183-01.dmp
E:\Users\Sarin\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-56690-0.sysdata.xml

Read our privacy statement online:
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=104288&clcid=0x0409

If the online privacy statement is not available, please read our privacy statement offline:
E:\Windows\system32\en-US\erofflps.txt

Here's the minidump file

020711-32183-01 Crash Dump File

Your error is 0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

This error code and definition has replaced the older XP code 0x9C: MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION and though it is older the definition still is applicable: This is a hardware issue: an unrecoverable hardware error has occurred. The parameters have different meanings depending on what type of CPU you have but, while diagnostic, rarely lead to a clear solution. Most commonly it results from overheating, from failed hardware (RAM, CPU, hardware bus, power supply, etc.), or from pushing hardware beyond its capabilities (e.g., overclocking a CPU).

Honestly, this is a very difficult error to work with because as it says a clear diagnosis rarely comes forth and I have never seen a minidump with either error codes give a definitive answer other than a generic hardware and nothing else. I know IT techs that don't like working with it. What makes it so difficult is that it can be any hardware in your system -- and I mean any.

Here are some of the causes that were determined to be the source of 0x124/0x9C errors from posters here and abroad: NIC, DVD/CD drives, dust build up around the CPU that caused overheating of said CPU, bulging capacitors hidden by heatsink, video card, psu, motherboard, and external harddrive connected by USB.

Here is a good link for troubleshooting: http://www.sevenforums.com/crash-lockup-debug-how/35349-stop-0x124-what-means-what-try.html

Back