Do I need bigger power supply?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reckoning

I have a 400watt power supply right now and have to replace my video card. Some cards i'm looking at say they require 400watt or higher. Is it bad to be running a video card with the bare minimum power? Would any other component suffer or should I be fine as long as the card doesn't require anything higher than 400watt?

PSU's degrade overtime, so you may have a 400W PSU, but what wattage actually it can supply to various components?

Also if you can tell which graphic card you are going to get, advising you about the suitability of current PSU or purchasing a new one will be much easier.

What is your total budget considering that you might have to buy a new PSU along with a graphic card?

I really don't think I'll be buying a power supply. If that card or cards equivelant require a better PSU than I'll probably just settle for a lesser card. I was running a geforce 8600GT and it crapped out on me so I went out today and got a geforce gt 220 and it honestly seems to run shittier than my old card did. For that same price online I'm just looking at cards similar to the one linked and figured I'd grab the better deal if I can. I just want a quick fix though, don't want to start buying several pieces because I ran into 1 problem. Also my 8600GT and the gt 220 run what i do day to day just fine so no need to upgrade if it requires more parts to be bought.
Thank for you help so far!

Ah fairenough, I think your choice seems reasonable to me given that you want to keep this PSU and the reasonable price for this new graphic card. Perhaps you can even return your GT220 for a refund as well? Regards

I plan to try to return the card. In the customer reviews its mentioned someone with a smaller PSU than mine ran the card fine also so this should work well. Thank you for your time and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back