Does anyone here actually own a 3080 or 3090?

I have a PNY RTX 3090 XLR8 that was sold to me on launch day, with PNY calling me directly and taking my order exactly at 10 minutes after launch. I was number 1 of 2 sold by PNY direct on launch day, Lisette the sales manager at PNY (and the only person who takes orders over the phone) will confirm that.

PNY called me to take my order over the phone because I was on a very short list of people who had issues with the website that somehow amounted to PNY thinking we deserved something. I will be honest with you, their mistake wasn't worthy of special treatment and I expected nothing of the events that transpired to be required. PNY stepped up and made sure their word was gold.

A week before the launch of 3090, I decided to take a dry run on 3080 launch day to see what 3090 launch day would be like. I don't have to tell the story of what 3080 or 3090 launch day ended up like, we were all there. F5 or automation tools for refreshing vendor sites and the cries of foul on Neowin's tracker through both launches. I was right there with you, mashing F5 madly.

3080 launch, even for a dry run practice with no intent to buy anything, nothing ever even made it into my cart. Utter failure and HYPER disheartening. While that was happening, PNY's site accidentally posted the RTX 3090 on 3080 launch day for all of 5 minutes, a mistake only. In that entire 3080 launch day, NOTHING made it into my cart except a 3090 accidentally, and check out would NOT let me have it no matter how I tried and cried.

I messaged PNY support and blew my top at them for letting me get it in my cart and not letting me have it... No expectations of a reply even. I was just blowing steam and it was really not a big deal, I had seen tons of mistakes made during the launch, what was one more?

Michele, the PNY Customer Service Manager emailed me back and apologized profusely actually. I was both surprised and a little guilty that somebody even saw the rant and told her no big deal, but would like info on stock on 3090's upcoming launch. She promised to have stock on the site on launch day for 3090. I took the story and left her alone, she didn't need any more hassle from me and I felt bad for blowing up and anybody even seeing it or caring.

3090 launch day, I was madly mashing F5 on Newegg, Amazon, Best Buy, EVGA, PNY, and a few other places. However, I managed to get multiple cards into carts before OOS messages removed them from my carts. Twice I almost had a Founders Edition from Nvidia directly, an Asus TUF from Newegg, and even an EVGA from Amazon... ALL of which OOS or just dropped out of my cart.

7 minutes into the fray, I'm panicked and thinking I'm just screwed and drop another, this time MUCH less angry, but insistent email to Michele asking why no stock even appeared on PNY's site, and that the site was super responsive so obviously not scalper slammed... where was the stock promised?

9 minutes after launch, Michele emails me back telling me to forward my phone number in reply to the email and she would have Lisette call me. Thinking I was in for a personalized let down, I gave my number. At least I could hear somebody tell me nicely how screwed I was, LOL!

She called and told me she was calling a list given her by Michele, and I was the first on it. She was still drinking her morning coffee and getting setup for her work day when she called me. Told me the list was very small, and I could order only one card. I ordered part number VCG309024TFXPPB, as I found the other 3090 MPB model to be too plain looking for my tastes, and the PPB actually would look good in my windowed case. She took my credit card info right there over the phone and put my order in. I was so excited I forgot to ask anything about shipping in that call.

I called back the next morning and accidentally got into the tech support instead of customer service queue, and when I asked the order status, the tech said "Oooh, you're one of the lucky two from yesterday?" The only thing I could say was "TWO?!?" and he explained that stock was just that limited and PNY only sold 2 cards on launch day through their direct sales, ALL the rest of their cards were eaten up by Newegg, Amazon, and Best Buy. I was floored.

I called back and talked to Lisette to get shipping info, and she confirmed the only two cards sold story, mine being the first. Whoever that other guy is, he got stuck with the MPB model. They had one of each model for launch day only.

If you call PNY to speak to the sales team, there is no team, only Lisette. She refers to my card sale as the Golden Ticket card, she said it jokingly, but I asked if she'd confirm the story if asked later if I refer people to PNY, she said yup.

NOW, for the proof.

qn0ztoW.jpg

Tracking info showing purchase date in Order Confirmation.

QvxAtXg.jpg

Box just arrived.

KOysQM3.jpg

Box close up.

zXWMWcJ.jpg

Box opened, cats unsure about all of this...

jexAS7W.jpg

Box unpacked, unusual finding in box! PCIe slot support? Check!

jlxKsJe.jpg

Side view. Neat! 2.7 slots wide, acceptable.

PGxzijc.jpg

Back plate. Understated but classy. I like.

YN3dfpE.jpg

It's da butt. Dat is a THICC butt, mmmmmmm

wx26Baj.jpg

Ports. 4 of them. 3 DP, 1 HDMI.

sXXBR09.jpg

La Machine! Card installed, PCIe support unused as unneeded.

I have now had about two weeks with this beasty. It purrs like a kitten. 75C with the case closed up, 70C with side open. Rips games and benchmarks to pieces so far. Have experimented with both undervolting and slight overclocking, and running up to 104% over-volted and 7% overclocked.

Last edited:
I know where to get one...Steve at Hardware Unboxed was just opening box after after box of them. No supply problems at Steve's place. Next stop: Australia! =)

Current rumor points to a massive outpouring of cards in November, but even with the monster turn out about to hit, it's still only a drop in the bucket of demand.

RTX 3080 will have 300,000 units shipping out around mid-november, RTX 3090 will have 30,000 units, and an unspecified number of RTX 3070 for launch, but looks mighty grim. Order volume would already absorb this number if it hit now within hours.

Current rumor points to a massive outpouring of cards in November, but even with the monster turn out about to hit, it's still only a drop in the bucket of demand.

RTX 3080 will have 300,000 units shipping out around mid-november, RTX 3090 will have 30,000 units, and an unspecified number of RTX 3070 for launch, but looks mighty grim. Order volume would already absorb this number if it hit now within hours.

I hope you are right Tye-Chill ! I think the demand is big this time because of a bit of a pent up demand for upgrades from a ton of GTX 1080 guys out there. I am running a RTX 2080 so I don't feel the pinch to move as badly as some.

I hope you are right Tye-Chill ! I think the demand is big this time because of a bit of a pent up demand for upgrades from a ton of GTX 1080 guys out there. I am running a RTX 2080 so I don't feel the pinch to move as badly as some.

You are absolutely correct. I had a 1080 Ti purchased on launch day that had seen almost 4 years of heavy use. I always try to skip a generation unless there's major reason to upgrade generation to generation.

It is my experience that gamers (the poorest bunch of people I ever did know) get stuck buying a GTX 1650 Super most of the time (Because of budget constraints) and once in a while I get someone in my shop that can afford a 'upgrade' to the GTX 1660 Super (A premium card in their mind). One unit of GTX 2070 Super left my shop this past year (It's so sad). On the forums everywhere I hear people buying Threadrippers or Ryzen 9 3950x, with GTX 2080Ti and other top-top components to slap together and they are lost when they try to build a machine and don't know how, and they take extreme measures to get it all working. I would love to see customers like that in here and build machines with those components. I am alway stuck repurposing old computer cases and reusing old PSUs with some new components because we have a $500 to spend on a whole new gaming machine and they guy wants to play Triple AAA titles. /sigh

I get you and remember those days as a builder myself. Am retired now and mostly building for myself these days, so everything just falls into place for me now. In fact, the build I'm on now is the first personally owned computer build that does not have any of my flesh or blood anywhere in it.

For 2 decades I built machines for people. Never had a problem building a machine for anybody else, but inevitably when building for myself I would find some way to bleed myself either on a sharp edge inside the case or some components sharp edge would get me.

This build went butter smooth, almost freakishly so. Built in under 30 minutes without even trying to rush, actually taking my time and surprisingly booted perfectly first try, all front panel connections perfect. The eerie perfection continued with me performing a ridiculously fast Windows 10 install in under 10 minutes. From beginning of build to sitting on a Windows desktop, around 40 minutes total, and no blood loss.

And the machine has purred along perfectly ever since. With the recent changes of upgrading the cooling from a Corsair H80i to EVGA CLC240 AIO, and then the GTX 1080 Ti to RTX 3090 upgrade, I see quite a few more years of service for this machine as is.

On the left, as my machine is now. On the right, as it was in 2017 when built.
qUKh1vG.jpg

Good job! Nice clean work on both actually! I love my PC, in fact the more people I meet the more I like my PC (I'm joking, but then, that's me!). =)

Good job! Nice clean work on both actually! I love my PC, in fact the more people I meet the more I like my PC (I'm joking, but then, that's me!). =)

Oh, in my cranky old age and retirement, I have become totally anti-social and my PC, my wife, my kids, and my cats are about all I can stand now :p

Back