Does Hitting a pc affect its hard drive?

Does Hitting a pc affect its hard drive?

• Total voters
Hey,

A week ago, someone woke me up at the bad timing, hence I got my rage out on my pc. I hit the keyboard several times until the screen took a pink with stitches.

Since that day, all problems came to that pc. It worked at first, but I couldn't reset it or else.
It took me a week to partly fix it. I installed another computer's system image in mine. It was the same pc ( a double).

But it is slow and crushing, and I can't reset it. And it gives a hard drive error.

Is it because of the hit? Should I change my hard drive?

Thanks in advance.

Hitting the PC could indeed damage or destroy the hard drive but in the post you said you hit the keyboard but in the title it says you hit the PC. Which is it? I don't know that hitting only the keyboard would do anything to the hard drive.

I hope that it's a desktop PC rather than a laptop. If it's a laptop you may well have written it off.

Yeah, if it was a laptop that would make sense. Good thinking, bazz2004. :)

Hey,

A week ago, someone woke me up at the bad timing, hence I got my rage out on my pc. I hit the keyboard several times until the screen took a pink with stitches....[ ]...
Well, it's like they say at the china shop, "you break it, you bought it".

Or maybe it was, "Elizabeth Borden took an axe, and gave her PC forty whacks,

latest

and when the job was nicely done, she gave her laptop forty one...."

powerbook1.jpg

BTW, if you're going to beat the crap out of your computers, better step up to SSD. They'll take up to about a 1000 Gs before they quit.....

4. Shock Resistance
SSDs are a good choice for mobile systems due to their resistance to drops, bumps and g-forces. Such forces don't often act on standard concrete and steel data centers, but what about mobile ones -- mobile data centers such as those used by ground military forces, aboard ships, on aircraft or at trade shows? Movement can have devastating effects on mechanical drives, especially during write events. SSDs, again having no moving parts, aren't affected by mobility and are well-suited to such physical abuse. SSDs can withstand up to 1,500 g during operation or 25 times that of a standard drive.

From: http://www.serverwatch.com/trends/a...Why-SSDs-Are-Better-Than-Mechanical-Disks.htm

Last edited:
Everyone summed it up pretty well here. We are left to assume you are using a laptop, because hitting the keyboard of a desktop PC will have no other effect than breaking the keyboard or inputting whatever keys you actually hit.

So what that being said. Yes, a physical impact to a hard drive can damage it and make it unreliable. Your initial question is vague, and this is why someone voted 'no'.

I have had a hard drive fail on me after dropping it about 4 to 5 inches. It was an external 3.5 inch hard drive. It was sitting on its side, as silly as that is, and fell to land upside down. After that it was done.

Edit: Thats not really even 4 to 5 inches... maybe 3 inches, but it was also hard ceramic tile floor.

With your screen displaying something funny, you may have damaged more than the hard drive. But without knowing more it's hard to say.

Back