Does installing 1TB of HDD slowdown the system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

juven

especially at booting time.

I also wanted to know whelther to buy internal or external HDD.
Becoz installing 1TB internal HDD should effect system speed.

Please guide.

No, it won't. Now if you are talking where the bios looks for the drives, it may take a bit longer depending on how your system is configured, especially if you are connecting it to a pci controller card. But thats a couple to few seconds at most.

As far as loading your system, it should have minimal to no affect, and if you were to put your OS on the TB drive it would likely be faster than what you are using now.

It depends on the spindle speed of the drive and the number of platters in it. WD's Caviar Green 1TB drive for example, has a far slower spindle speed than their WD Caviar Black 1TB drive, despite both having the same number of platters. So find out about these parameters to get an idea of the drive's performance.

especially at booting time.

I also wanted to know whelther to buy internal or external HDD.
Becoz installing 1TB internal HDD should effect system speed.

Please guide.

This might sound like the obvious.. .but i always find is best to spell it all out as it's not explicitly stated.....

When you think of 1TB internal vs 1TB external.... what are you thinking in terms of external drive interface?

Thanks to all for your suggestions.
I am planning to go with Seagate 1TB HDD(ofcourse with 7200rpm)
So i understand that installing internal 1TB HDD will not affect the booting or the system performance(speed).

At present i got 250GB HDD fully loaded, so i am upgrading to 1TB.
So to boot the system i will be using my existing HDD and 1TB will be my WAREHOUSE.
That wiil be for my project backups, pictures, music, movies, some software backups, etc

So external HDD will be connected most of the time to access high resolution pictures and video clips for my projects.
So what you suggest internal or external?

So what you suggest internal or external?

One major difference.. speed

External is only as fast as your USB port speeds. Optimally 480 Mbps but you will never achieve that speed. Internals as you know will go to 3.0 Gbps and beyond. Seek times should be similar between them. An external as you know is fully portable.

I do understand that external HDD have slow data transfer speed using USB port.
But does firewire or eSATA options in the HDD speeds this up.

Yes, eSATA will be exactly the same speed as if you had it as an internal SATA. Firewire is expensive for the fast one (FW800). FW400 is about the same as USB depending on the size of your transfers. So I wouldn't recommend firewire, but if your only choices are firewire or usb, then firewire would likely be faster for large transfers, but also not too many PCs have FW ports, so compatibility would be an issue.

I also wouldn't recommend immediately buying an eSATA external. Look around for an internal sata of the size you want, and an external enclosure. May be cheaper to build one yourself. Just something to think about...

This might sound like the obvious.. .but i always find is best to spell it all out as it's not explicitly stated.....

When you think of 1TB internal vs 1TB external.... what are you thinking in terms of external drive interface?

So i didn't recall the specifics for each interface (but know others do) so now you know why i spawned the topic :) As can make a big difference when talking of comparing/choosing "internal" vs "external"

I thought of that SNGX, buying a external case and place the internal HDD.
As i told you that most of the time i will be connected to my PC.
So the Ready available External HDD comes with all the cooling and adaptors ready.

Why is that u wouldnt recomend eSATA now?
I am planning to upgrade my system to ASUS m/b with Quad core in couple of months time.
I have seen some of the latest m/bs have both e-SATA and firewire in board. So that wouldn't be a problem.

As per now i will be using USB support till i upgrade.

I do recommend eSATA because any other external (other than maybe FW800) is going to be painfully slow compared to an internal drive. eSATA won't, it will be identical speed to if it were an internal.

Most eSATA enclosures also have USB 2.0 so you wouldn't have an issue with your current setup or compatibility with anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back