Does such software exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

k1n9k00p4

First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I just want to know is there "remote access" software for windows that will let me for example, View my desktop on my home computer from my work computer and check my downloads etc.

I do not want to browse my home system, i just want to be able to view my download manager on my home computer, on my work computer.

So i could say, connect to my home PC from work and check any open windows on my home computer, like a LAN but between my work computer and my home computer, Except i want to see whats going on on myhome computers screen.

sorry if u dont understand, Ive tried to be as clear as i can.

Anyone know of any software like this?

Cheers

You could possibly try VNC Viewer but youll have to either have a static IP (you can get that from your ISP) or you would have to configure your router at home for it. I have tried over and over again to do this but it never works out.

Lots of such software, as already said. Remote Desktop is builtin to Windows. All the VNC flavours and Radmin are also available.

You can set up your router or computer to use some dynamic DNS feature that updates a hostname every time you connect to the internet. After that, it's just about opening the right ports on your router and firewall.

Ok, i have installed Radmin and can see how it works, but i have a question.

If i am running a firewall at home, say zone alarm, how do i configure ZA to allow an incoming connection from my work computer?

Also if i am NOT running a firewall at all, how do i get my home computer to accept the incoming connection, if i just input my home computers IP into Radmin from work, will it just connect?

like are there any settings or adjustments i have to make on my home computer to accpet the connection form my work computer.

o_0 plz bare with me lol

thanks ^_^

If i am running a firewall at home, say zone alarm, how do i configure ZA to allow an incoming connection from my work computer?

Also if i am NOT running a firewall at all, how do i get my home computer to accept the incoming connection, if i just input my home computers IP into Radmin from work, will it just connect?

like are there any settings or adjustments i have to make on my home computer to accpet the connection form my work computer.

I used Radmin to connect to my work computer from home, mostly if I get paged and need to work on a support problem. So at home I run the client part of Radmin and run both the client and server part of Radmin at work. At work I set up Radmin to use "NT Security" from the "Settings for Remote Administrator Server" and in the permissions box I added the account that I'm going to log on as and give it full control (All Access, Remote Screen View, Redirect). This way I use my network password to logon to Radmin. I VPN from home to work so there's no firewall involved for me. As far as firewalls go when you install Radmin as a service on your home computer I would think your firewall would detect it and ask to give it access or not. Hope I answered your questions.

Personally, I have in the past used the "remote web desktop" feature built into IIS on XP Pro. Everything you need for it is right there in XP Pro, and all you need to connect is your IP (or dynamic dns host name), port number, username and password.

The plus side is that you don't need too much to access your machine - just a username and password for your machine at home.

The down side is that it requires installation of an activex control on the machine you access it from, which obviously requires msie. Another downside is that I'd probably trust Radmin more than remote web desktop for security, but I have to say that I have no reasoning for that opinion beyond simple intuition.

http://www.petri.co.il/install_remote_desktp_web_connection_on_windows_xp.htm

Just thought I'd mention it as an option.

On other thing I thought of is when you set up the computer you are going to connect to through the client part of Radmin it will create a icon for it. Right click on that icon and select proporties and choose the 'remote control/view' tab, I suggest changing the 'maximum number of updates per second' to a much lower number than the default of 100, I've found that a high number like 100 really loads the host computer you are connecting to neeedlessly, I pesonally set that value to 10 and notice no real difference performance wise when connecting. That's one thing that not obvious and can make a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back