Donald Trump blasts EU following record $5 billion Google fine

midian182

Staff member
What just happened? Donald Trump’s relationship with the tech industry has long been strained at best. Following the European Commission’s record $5.06 billion fine against Google, however, the President has voiced his support for the tech firm.

Google was hit with the penalty on Wednesday for breaching EU antitrust laws. The Commission said the company forced manufacturers to pre-install the Google Search app and Chrome browser “as a condition for licensing Google’s app store (the Play Store).”

Trump took to Twitter following news of the fine. “I told you so!” he wrote. “The European Union just slapped a Five Billion Dollar fine on one of our great companies, Google. They truly have taken advantage of the U.S., but not for long!”

Trump’s comments follow an interview the President gave with CBS in Scotland last week, in which he called the EU a “foe” when it comes to trade. “I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now you wouldn’t think of the European Union but they’re a foe.”

The European Commission has warned Google that if it isn’t compliant within 90 days it faces penalty payments of up to five percent of the average daily worldwide turnover of parent company Alphabet. The company is appealing the decision, which will likely see the case drag on for some time.

Trump is set to meet with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker next week. The pair will be discussing a number of issues, one of which will no doubt be the Google fine.

Permalink to story.

Wouldn't it be nice if Trump's attention span was more than 5 minutes? I mean really, the fight between EU and Google is nothing new, but of course that would not be to his advantage to actually recognize the truth or even understand what the word "fact" actually meant .....

I think what would the world looks like if android was only inside the google devices, like apple does, we would be stuck with Symbian, this reason to fine Google is Horse$hit.

I guess the fact that Google makes money from EU citizens is the definition of EU citizens taking advantage of Google. Anyway trump was saying that EU is the enemy a few weeks ago. Enemies all over the planet. At least Putin is a friend.
You may be lost, this site is for emotionally stable adults. Try playing on Twitter.

Wouldn't it be nice if Trump's attention span was more than 5 minutes? I mean really, the fight between EU and Google is nothing new, but of course that would not be to his advantage to actually recognize the truth or even understand what the word "fact" actually meant .....

The fight isn't anything new, but the $5 billion fine is. It's front page news today - you don't think this is the right timing for Trump to say something?

I understand it's tough - we want to rip on Trump at every change, but now he's calling this BS fine a bunch of BS and he's standing up for Google, who gave more money to Hillary than anyone else in tech.

But $5 billion for forcing companies to install the search app?! And, what Google dislikes even more - they can no longer make anyone install their search app, so that'll hurt profits in the future.

This really sounds like the same thing as when someone gets rear-ended by a celebrity at 8 MPH and once they find out who just hit them they immediately say 'oooo- my neck!' and sue for a few million. The EU just found a reason to sue.

But $5 billion for forcing companies to install the search app?!
If you follow the link in this article to the article about the reasons behind the fine, what you will find is the following:
In announcing the fine, the European Commission said Google required manufactures to pre-install the Google Search app and its Chrome browser “as a condition for licensing Google’s app store (the Play Store).” Regulators also claim Google prevented manufacturers wishing to pre-install Google apps from selling devices running forked versions of Android and made payments to certain large manufacturers and mobile network operators to exclusively pre-install the Google Search app on their devices.
Those are the facts in the case. It is misleading to imply that it was only because gagme forced manufacturers to install the gagme search app.

Last edited:
Sadly, he is very popular but he is driving the country into the ground and no one cares, because "let's make 'murica great again".

With the tariff changes he is increasing the price for imported items, who do you think ends up paying the taxes? Those who buy anything from anywhere else, and this means components for whatever.

The costs are increased and thus, the price of the final product increases, who pays for the final product? The end user, or consumers.

It's economy 101 and this guy was mainly elected because he was a businessman and not a politician. Let's drive America to the ground again should be the slogan by now...

I guess the fact that Google makes money from EU citizens is the definition of EU citizens taking advantage of Google. Anyway trump was saying that EU is the enemy a few weeks ago. Enemies all over the planet. At least Putin is a friend.
You may be lost, this site is for emotionally stable adults. Try playing on Twitter.

Wasn't the White House meant for emotionally stable adults? Now look at Trump, and despair.

Instead of picking fights with Canada over trade.

This is who you need to be going after TRUMP the EU and their BS.

I wonder how long it will be before he declares war on the EU or a country for threatening the profits of a corporation. And then of course takes it back a few hours later on Twitter.

Sadly, he is very popular but he is driving the country into the ground and no one cares, because "let's make 'murica great again".

With the tariff changes he is increasing the price for imported items, who do you think ends up paying the taxes? Those who buy anything from anywhere else, and this means components for whatever.

The costs are increased and thus, the price of the final product increases, who pays for the final product? The end user, or consumers.

It's economy 101 and this guy was mainly elected because he was a businessman and not a politician. Let's drive America to the ground again should be the slogan by now...
And due to the trade wars, the citizens of all countries affected by these tariffs will be paying them.

The fight isn't anything new, but the $5 billion fine is. It's front page news today - you don't think this is the right timing for Trump to say something?

I understand it's tough - we want to rip on Trump at every change, but now he's calling this BS fine a bunch of BS and he's standing up for Google, who gave more money to Hillary than anyone else in tech.

But $5 billion for forcing companies to install the search app?! And, what Google dislikes even more - they can no longer make anyone install their search app, so that'll hurt profits in the future.

This really sounds like the same thing as when someone gets rear-ended by a celebrity at 8 MPH and once they find out who just hit them they immediately say 'oooo- my neck!' and sue for a few million. The EU just found a reason to sue.

It's not wanting to rip on Trump at every chance. It's wanting our president to not rip our allies and buddy up with ruthless dictators.

There's an appropriate way to open constructive dialog between allies, Trump isn't doing that. All he's doing is dumping on our alliances through twitter while praising enemies over his own people.

Trump doesn't even attempt formal negotiations, he goes straight to twitter. Tell me, how much has Trump accomplished through that platform?

If you follow the link in this article to the article about the reasons behind the fine, what you will find is the following:
In announcing the fine, the European Commission said Google required manufactures to pre-install the Google Search app and its Chrome browser “as a condition for licensing Google’s app store (the Play Store).” Regulators also claim Google prevented manufacturers wishing to pre-install Google apps from selling devices running forked versions of Android and made payments to certain large manufacturers and mobile network operators to exclusively pre-install the Google Search app on their devices.
Those are the facts in the case. It is misleading to imply that it was only because gagme forced manufacturers to install the gagme search app.

So..does Google stop consumers from downloading other search apps.............no......well then it doesn't matter how much money they piss down the drain paying companies to install their search app. Internet explorer and edge come with every Windows installation....... It's not antitrust until they block other competitors, Android is theirs they can do what they like with it and honestly unless they are slamming Apple with antitrust this is BS.

[

It's not wanting to rip on Trump at every chance. It's wanting our president to not rip our allies and buddy up with ruthless dictators.

There's an appropriate way to open constructive dialog between allies, Trump isn't doing that. All he's doing is dumping on our alliances through twitter while praising enemies over his own people.

Trump doesn't even attempt formal negotiations, he goes straight to twitter. Tell me, how much has Trump accomplished through that platform?[/QUOTE]

Whatever hater, atleast he says what he says for us all to hear. Unlike Obama whispering to the Russian guy to tell Vladimir putin to wait because it's his (Obama) last election and he'll have more flexibility afterwards. Ruffling feathers to bring others to the deal table is a solid tactic. No missiles are being fired, or test fired (north Korea), and bullets. Iran got pissed because Trump backed us out of the Iran deal Obama ushered in (somehow that Iran restricting deal was supposed to stop them from building nuclear weapons). Why wouldn't Iran want to be out of the Iran deal?...Uranium one? Should Trump have sold uranium to Russia like Clinton/obama? Do you even know the tairrifs the US pays to other countries and even before his president? Have we not sent loads of our steel over to China only to pay tairrifs to bring it back losing large amounts of manufacturing jobs in the process. The last 2 10 years were horrible for this country on a world economic scale. Trumps not a politician, and he's not the president I'd want to see for long but he's but he's bring back what the past administration sold out (America).

Peace

A large number of people who voted for him were promised that Trump would protect their manufacturing jobs. A tariff spreads the cost of saving those jobs to many many consumers. In surveys when people at a company were asked 'Would you take a small pay cut to prevent layoffs - even if your job was safe.' the overwhelming response is 'yes'. This is what Trump is trying to do. Is it working? Probably not, is it the right way to do it? Probably not. Do people from both sides of the political isle think it's a bad idea? Yes. But that's why he's doing it.

You say they were promised he would protect their jobs. Many of those jobs were gone prior to his election. Manufacturing jobs are coming back to America. Promise kept. Unemployment rate is lower than its been in years and that tells me that people arent losing their jobs

So..does Google stop consumers from downloading other search apps.............no......well then it doesn't matter how much money they piss down the drain paying companies to install their search app. Internet explorer and edge come with every Windows installation....... It's not antitrust until they block other competitors, Android is theirs they can do what they like with it and honestly unless they are slamming Apple with antitrust this is BS.

Um, just like to point out that windows has been sued for including internet explorer as the default. If you live in the EU Microsoft let's you choose your browser when installing. Anti-trust laws don't cover just blocking competitors, which is the most extreme example. It also includes anti-competitive measures.

A large number of people who voted for him were promised that Trump would protect their manufacturing jobs. A tariff spreads the cost of saving those jobs to many many consumers. In surveys when people at a company were asked 'Would you take a small pay cut to prevent layoffs - even if your job was safe.' the overwhelming response is 'yes'. This is what Trump is trying to do. Is it working? Probably not, is it the right way to do it? Probably not. Do people from both sides of the political isle think it's a bad idea? Yes. But that's why he's doing it.

Assuming that yes those tariffs bring jobs back. How exactly do you bring manufacturing jobs back without factories or skilled workers or the parts to build the devices?

I'm pro tariff but it's got to be done strategically and you have to encourage companies to build factories here first. Typically companies would hire more people or build based on the tax write-offs. For example, for each employee you have you get a fixed credit and their salary counts against your maximum taxable amount. Ever since the tax cuts though, many companies can reach their max deductions and thus they don't need to build out as much nor hire as many people. This is why taxes should be higher during economic expansion. It encourages companies to hire and expand all the while giving the government extra funds to spend on things like infrastructure. It also makes sure the economy doesn't trip over itself.

[

Trump doesn't even attempt formal negotiations, he goes straight to twitter. Tell me, how much has Trump accomplished through that platform?

Whatever hater, atleast he says what he says for us all to hear. Unlike Obama whispering to the Russian guy to tell Vladimir putin to wait because it's his (Obama) last election and he'll have more flexibility afterwards. Ruffling feathers to bring others to the deal table is a solid tactic. No missiles are being fired, or test fired (north Korea), and bullets. Iran got pissed because Trump backed us out of the Iran deal Obama ushered in (somehow that Iran restricting deal was supposed to stop them from building nuclear weapons). Why wouldn't Iran want to be out of the Iran deal?...Uranium one? Should Trump have sold uranium to Russia like Clinton/obama? Do you even know the tairrifs the US pays to other countries and even before his president? Have we not sent loads of our steel over to China only to pay tairrifs to bring it back losing large amounts of manufacturing jobs in the process. The last 2 10 years were horrible for this country on a world economic scale. Trumps not a politician, and he's not the president I'd want to see for long but he's but he's bring back what the past administration sold out (America).

Peace[/QUOTE]
you're talking about our trumpuchka .. yes, we put him there ... came back to us and admitted who the daddy is .. great boy isn't it? Maybe, next time, the Chinese will get a chance to put a guy over you. I am pretty sure it will be a lovely fellow too.

Except that Google did block competition. Try reading again the reason for this fine.

You say they were promised he would protect their jobs. Many of those jobs were gone prior to his election. Manufacturing jobs are coming back to America. Promise kept. Unemployment rate is lower than its been in years and that tells me that people arent losing their jobs
One of the prime mistakes in the first few years of a presidency is to attribute residual effects from the past administration to the current one be those effects positive or negative.

I expect that the full effects of these tariffs have not taken hold yet. Some industries, like solar, for instance, have already lost thousands of jobs due to tariffs imposed by 45 on solar panel imports from China. Others, like Harley Davidson to name only one, are now shipping them overseas. And 45 is promising to double-down on tariffs. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...billion-of-chinese-imports-cnbc-idUSKBN1KA18Q
These tariffs play into his MAGA narrative, however, I expect that the tariffs will have the opposite effect especially since in the eyes of many, America never lost its greatness before 45 got into office.

Last edited:
Yes, to a degree. Clearly he's a man that's willing to take economic action. Maybe they shouldn't take him so lightly, as the democrats did during his campaign
And clearly the response from the other nations is not one of abject fear and shaking in their boots. In fact, as the link in my post above states, 45 is pumping up his testosterone levels and promising more tariffs. Should the spiral of pumping more tariffs continue, world-wide economies will suffer, and those that will suffer most are the ones who would buy the products subject to tariffs but can no longer afford them due to the tariffs.

The world has become a global economy like it or not. Isolation may have worked on some level in the distant past for some countries, however, I highly doubt it will work now.

If 45 wants fairness in trade, he is not going to get it by attempting to body-slam the economies of all the other countries. He is no longer running a company that he can use to bully the neighborhood wimp. He is dealing with economies that are equal to that in the US.

It is a pretty simple concept for most people to grasp: If you want your neighbors to be good to you, you don't hire a bulldozer in an attempt to destroy their houses.

Last edited:
Back