Donkey Kong Country is coming to Nintendo Switch Online this month

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Recap: Donkey Kong Country launched during the Super Nintendo’s prime in 1994. The side-scrolling platformer from British developer Rare featured groundbreaking visuals, fluid gameplay and excellent replay value. Equally as impressive was the immersive soundtrack, primarily from composer David Wise, which ranks among the best across any platform.

Nintendo is adding a trio of additional titles to its Switch Online platform later this month including what is arguably one of the best SNES games of all time.

Donkey Kong Country was instrumental in helping Nintendo stave off competition from Sony’s new PlayStation console and bought the Japanese gaming giant more time to ready its own next-gen system, the Nintendo 64. In terms of sales, Donkey Kong Country went down in history as the third best-selling SNES game ever behind Super Mario All-Stars and Super Mario World.

Two other titles, Natsume Championship Wresting and The Immortal, will also be added to the Nintendo Switch Online collection alongside Donkey Kong Country on July 15, we’re told.

A subscription to Nintendo Switch Online starts at $3.99 per month (or $19.99 a year) and includes access to select NES / SNES games as well as online play, cloud saves and other special offers. A seven-day trial is also available so you can try before you buy.

Permalink to story.

I always felt it was overrated. Few looked past the impressive graphics of the time to the gameplay.

No doubt it sold well, kept SNES relevant for a bit longer but if you play it now then it doesn't hold up nearly as well as other platformers of that era on SNES.

I always felt it was overrated. Few looked past the impressive graphics of the time to the gameplay.

No doubt it sold well, kept SNES relevant for a bit longer but if you play it now then it doesn't hold up nearly as well as other platformers of that era on SNES.

I beat the game multiple times as a child, but I tend to agree with your opinion. Playing again on a snes classic the jumping mechanics take some time to gain full control of. Its definitely not as tight as a mario game from the same era. But the music holds up well, fire up the first level in a home theater with a subwoofer and be prepared for some mega bass!

Glad to see this finally coming, but its taking them way to long to roll out virtual console games. Maybe in another year or two we will finally have N64 & Gamecube games available...

One of the best games from my childhood memory. The gameplay back in the days was more challenging than that of most games today. If you don't time your jumps or actions well it's over. That was part of the appeal -made you try over and over again without quitting. Then again, that was life before the internet...

Nintendo should seriously consider releasing their games to PC, PS and Xbox. Afterall it's the software they cash in the most on. Microsoft already seen this, Sony is following now, hopefully Nintendo will too. Because I'm never going to buy a Switch, I'm not interrested in mobile gaming with bad performance and image quality. Console gaming for me is all about big screen gaming and Switch is really not that awesome on a TV.

They should release something better, hardware-wise, with 4K/UHD (upscaling from 1080p-1440p maybe), 60 fps and HDR support or release games on other platforms.

Tried to play Zelda BOTW on a Switch, I gave up and emulated the game instead using CEMU. My PC does 100+ fps most of the time in that game. On Switch, there's fps dips below 20 with much worse graphics/resolution. Ruins the game completely. Immersion goes out the window. Especially when played on the small and low-res IPS panel.

I'm sure Nintendo would have sold millions of BOTW games on other platforms, instead they force people to emulate, and Nintendo gets nothing.

Mario Odyssey can also be emulated flawlessly. Thats the problem using "weak hardware" - emulating is easy.

Last edited:
Back