Doom's first premium DLC won't divide the user base

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Premium DLC is a bit of a double-edged sword – as least as far as multiplayer shooters are concerned – in that they divide the community.

When a new DLC hits, the entire user base doesn’t immediately rush out to spend the money for new maps. Those that do buy the new map pack are paired with other gamers online to play the maps they've purchased while those who opted not to spend the money are limited to playing with others in the same boat.

This can be especially troublesome among groups of friends that typically band together to play online but according to id Software, Doom players won’t run into this issue.

The game’s first premium DLC, called Unto the Evil, is just around the bend. When it arrives, it’ll include a feature called PartyPlay that allows those without the DLC to play the new maps so long as someone else in their party has purchased the map pack.

For those that play with the same group of friends all the time, this could be a real money-saver.

Unto the Evil includes three new multiplayer maps (Offering, Cataclysm and Ritual), a new player-controlled demon called Harvester, a new weapon in the UAC EMG Pistol, a new piece of equipment called the Kinetic Mine, additional armor sets, taunts, new hack modules and more.

The $15 premium DLC arrives on August 5 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC.

Permalink to story.

I hope it has some campaign / story content. I wasn't sold on the DOOM multiplayer, but I did have a lot of fun playing the campaign.

This game is amazing single player (which I still haven't completed ) and I haven't gone near the multiplayer since playing a short amount of the (disappointing) beta.

There is no single player content coming out in the DLCs which made the decision not to buy the season pass or deluxe edition over the standard edition really easy - with the huge amount of additional content available via the snap map feature, this game will last for ages anyway.

I would definitely be interested in an official single player campaign addon at a later date mind.

This game is amazing single player (which I still haven't completed ) and I haven't gone near the multiplayer since playing a short amount of the (disappointing) beta.

There is no single player content coming out in the DLCs which made the decision not to buy the season pass or deluxe edition over the standard edition really easy - with the huge amount of additional content available via the snap map feature, this game will last for ages anyway.

I would definitely be interested in an official single player campaign addon at a later date mind.

You aren't missing anything with the PvP multiplayer. SP and co-op SnapMaps can be a riot, though.

You aren't missing anything with the PvP multiplayer. SP and co-op SnapMaps can be a riot, though.
I had a blast with the PVP, but the learning curve was a bit steep. It wasn't until my steam friends pushed me to play the PVP with them that I actuallky started to enjoy it.

RIP to the basic game player ..... no on-line, no use!

Yea, DLC is killing the gaming industry to me. I kind of applaud id software for this, but on the other hand, think its BS. If I paid for the game, I paid for the game, and anything the developers decide to add to it should be free. You don't go to a car lot, and buy a Suburban without seating in the back, only to be charged for it later. The car is complete when you buy it.

My view is DLC should always be free. If they want to charge for it, they need to put a box version out there too for people to buy at the store. If the content doesn't justify ( wouldn't sell ) as a box version, then it shouldn't justify as DLC you have to pay for.

I hope for the day of no more DLC content for multiplayer, only single player. BF4 is such a mess with all their DLC maps dividing up the player base.

Back