Driver irql not less or equal and pfn list corrupt

plasma dragon00

Hey. So I just reinstalled Win7, and I am having the same problems as before. I am getting PFN_LIST_CORRUPT quite often, and once in a while DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

The PFN list one seems to occur when I log back in from the monitor turning off (how do I disable that? W7 is so different than XP...) and when I am installing something off of a disk.

Last 2 dumps attached, one for each error because ive only had them once since I reinstalled (but I have had this copy installed for not even 3 hours...)

Attachments

• dumps.zip
    50.1 KB · Views: 3
It said something to the effect of my pc being completely compatible with W7 (as it should be, 6 gigs of DDR3 ram, an MSI mobo with an AM3 socket for my Phenom II quad core and 64 bit windows 7).

I just ran a bios update, which toted having "increased compatibility" and an "improved memory module" (I got it off of their LiveUpdate program from the cd). Lets hope this fixes it!

The 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is probably the strongest code indicating corrupted memory and that is exactly what the minidump file cited as your issue.

Run Memtest for at least a minimum of 7 Passes and the more Passes after 7 the better unless you start have errors before 7 and then run it per stick.

Perhaps, however, the BIOS update corrected the motherboard in setting the correct voltage for your RAM. Incorrect voltage can also read as memory corruption.

The 0x4E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT is probably the strongest code indicating corrupted memory and that is exactly what the minidump file cited as your issue.

Run Memtest for at least a minimum of 7 Passes and the more Passes after 7 the better unless you start have errors before 7 and then run it per stick.

Perhaps, however, the BIOS update corrected the motherboard in setting the correct voltage for your RAM. Incorrect voltage can also read as memory corruption.

Im hoping the update fixed it. It has been running for about an hour and a half, no problem so far. I am gonna give it a day or two, then if it errors ill run memtest again (I previously ran it overnight, it had 4 or 5 passes no problem, (before the update) and I ended it because I wanted to use my pc)

Understand completely. For what it is worth the longer you can run Memtest the better because often errors don't show up until the 9th Pass and beyond.

Also, we have found that a lot of corrupted memory reads over the past two years was in actually wrong voltage settings for the memory by the motherboard as I alluded to in my first response.

If I may ask, what model MSI board are you using and how do you like it?

Im getting PNF_LIST_CORRUPT again >_>

And I am in a bit of a catch-22 - memtest86 v3.5 doesnt test over 4 gigs of ram. v3.4a does but doesnt install from a 64 bit OS

So I guess I will have to run it 2 sticks at a time. (I have 3x 2gig sticks, mobo has 4 slots).

It is an MSI 790FX-GD70. I am quite pleased with it, considering what I am moving from (Asus A8N-E, 1 gig ddr1 ram, Amd Athlon 64 3500+ (2.4ghz single core...)). This rig is blazing fast now, but this PFN_LIST_CORRUPT kinda hinders its use... ugh I have a feeling I will be looking at an RMA soon for one of these items...

In the Bios I changed a setting for the ram, I forget exactly what it was called, from T1 to T2. It said T1 is faster but less stable, T2 is slower but more stable. But I guess if I am gonna be checking the ram I may as well set it back at T1 since that is what I am optimally looking to run it at...

Quick note - I feel like a noob talking about all this hardware stuff. I can build a computer no problem, and I am pretty fluent in some of the basic specs of hardware. But I have zero clue in overclocking, etc, hardware just isnt my area of expertise. I am much more knowledgeable in software, majoring in computer programming at college (I know Java and C++, will be trying to learn Visual C# again soon). So if I have to do something in windows to change a setting or such, chances are I can do it no problem. But jumping around the BIOS (and this one is much more complicated than my A8N-E), I may need my hand held.

Are the memory slots color-coded, like slot 1 and 3 the same color, and 2 and 4 the same color? If so, try to use 2 memory modules in slots 1 and 3 only. See if the PFN troubles stop. My Biostar T5 XE CFX-SLI motherboard has 4 slots and I have 2 4GB modules installed (8GB total memory) Max memory for the board is 16GB. My Memory spec is DDR3 PC3-10666.Be sure to refer back to the motherboards manual for the memory specifics

Theyre coded, first 2 are black, 2nd 2 are blue (or vice versa). Slots 0, 1, and 2 are filled. My ram is Mushkin Enhanced, its also DDR3 PC3-10666. The Mobo supports up to 16 gigs, and it supports higher speed ram as well (darn expensive ram, too... it supports factory overclocked ram :O)

Pic - Memtest after 3 runs (just while I was at work. Im gonna let it run overnight as well, even though I think this determines the problem... (Pic is uploaded to Techspot. I had a photobucket link but the img was huge. Most forums hate that. Yes, I took the pic with my phone lol.)

Errors per memory slot:
0:6
1:0
2:0

If I am reading that correctly, though, theyre "ECC Correctable Errors"? What does that mean? Ive never heard that term before... does that mean I can fix it without submitting an RMA? Or should I RMA it anyway?

Tomorrow I am gonna replace slot 0's stick with slot 2's, and just leave it at 4 gigs.

For the record, memtest reports that my processor is an AMD Athlon 64... yeah, maybe my old one XD memtest v3.4a supports >4 gigs of ram but not multiple processors. v3.5 supports <=4 gigs only, but multiple processors. I am running 3.4 right now, perhaps I will still test with 3.5 on the first stick only.

Attachments

• mms_picture.jpg
    mms_picture.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 1
is there a reason you are not running version 4.10?

Good diagnostic step of running only at 4 gigs. What does your BIOS show the memory voltage at right now and what is Muschin memory rated for? Do they match?

is there a reason you are not running version 4.10?

Because... because I was using Memtest86, not Memtest86+.

-_- my bad.

I think on the stick, when I pulled it out, said 1.5v, bios should be set to auto. I will try to find the setting and force it to 1.5 after I verify that 1.5 is the correct voltage.

Yeah, it is 1.5v and DRAM voltage is set at Auto.

Label on the ram reads - Mushkin enhanced Essentials
PC3-10666 9-9-9-24 1.5v

I've seen way too many times a motherboard setting the voltage to Auto only to find out that the Auto setting did not match the manufactured specs of the RAM's voltage.

The result in many cases was corrupted memory readings when in actuality it was wrong voltage settings.

I've seen way too many times a motherboard setting the voltage to Auto only to find out that the Auto setting did not match the manufactured specs of the RAM's voltage.

The result in many cases was corrupted memory readings when in actuality it was wrong voltage settings.

Ill dig around in the bios for a min (its darn late early here though... 1:16 A.M.) and figure out what setting I need to change to let me change it (all the settings for frequency and voltage are set to auto but are locked.)

Also, what does memtest mean by ECC error? Electronically Correctable Corruption?

Google reveals - Error Correction Codes. Which means for me...? (once again, I feel dumb knowing much about software but little about hardware of a pc >_> thank you SO MUCH for your help thus far)

Ugh... I will have to test it again, with the newest version of Memtest86+ just to make sure, but... I swapped sticks 0 and 2, and I am still only getting errors on slot 0, sounds like the motherboard is bad...

Edit - Okay, testing with Memtest86+ v4.1 off of a flash drive. At least this shows my specs the right way XD anyway I will post back once I a) get an error or b) exceed 8 passes, I will probably let it run to 10 or so.

MSI= Trouble... mainly couple of years ago. Try Biostar if you can. They make great new motherboards. AMD okay... Intel better. I build and repair a lot of systems. You might try to change the memory timings and voltages on the MSI board

I believe your system is a socket 939 so finding a new board is going to be very difficult unless you try somewhere like eBay. I bought a used one off of them a few years ago but I knew the motherboard very well, the seller had an excellent rating and the fact that he was a techie by profession I knew it would be good. And it is still running.

Check your manual and see what slots allow you to run in dual channel; possiblly 2-4 would work. And then if you decide purchase 2 gigs of RAM in 2.5v specs. I believe you are running a 4x512 configuration, correct?

Would you like some help trying to find another socket 939 board?

Wow! Socket 939's almost disappeared as soon as they were introduced. I have one in my spare parts drawer and Ebay might be the only source for a compatible board

I believe your system is a socket 939 so finding a new board is going to be very difficult unless you try somewhere like eBay. I bought a used one off of them a few years ago but I knew the motherboard very well, the seller had an excellent rating and the fact that he was a techie by profession I knew it would be good. And it is still running.

Check your manual and see what slots allow you to run in dual channel; possiblly 2-4 would work. And then if you decide purchase 2 gigs of RAM in 2.5v specs. I believe you are running a 4x512 configuration, correct?

Would you like some help trying to find another socket 939 board?

Wait, are you talking to me?

My OLD system was a 939, the one with the Asus A8N-E and the Athlon 64 3500+.

Current one is an AM3 with an Amd Phenom II X4. I have 2 sets of dual channel slots. 1&2, 3&4. 1 and 2 are filled, as is 3.

Sorry for the mix-up but I was going by your current System Specs as you have listed which is your OLD system.

Sorry for the mix-up but I was going by your current System Specs as you have listed which is your OLD system.

LOL. I completely forgot that Techspot had a system specs link. My bad for not changing it D:

Current results - 4.1 memtest+ errored running 3 sticks on pass 5 out of 8 total. there were 2 errors. Pic uploaded, from phone again. Running stick 1 of 3 in slot 0 right now, leavin it overnight.

Edit - Changed my system specs to reflect my actual system specs ^_^

Attachments

• mms_picture2.jpg
    mms_picture2.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 1
Don't forget to check those memory timings and voltages. They may need a bit of adjusting for system stability. Adjustment may correct the Memtest86 errors

Back