Driver power state failure Windows 7 64bit

I hope someone can help me, M-audio won't. I have a Dell Inspiron 570 64 bit os with Windows 7 sp1. AMD Athlon II x2 250 Processor 6gb RAM. I know it's nothing special but I am very happy with my computer, It handles all of my Guitar/Keyboard/Music needs beautifully. Except for one issue. I have an M-Audio Axiom Pro 49 keyboard controller that is giving me a problem. It is class compliant and does not require drivers to work, just plug usb cable in and play. When I plug it in and bring it up on my DAW, it shows up and works, I play for a bit, then shut downnthe keyboard and DAW. If I go back to it later, and power up, it no longer shows in my DAW, and it appears that my usb port is no longer active, yet my mouse and desktop keyboard are functioning fine. I then try to restart the computer, but it hangs on shutdown. After waiting for a bit, I get a BSOD "driver power state failure", then it continues with the restart. After restart, the usb ports are working again, computer is fine and my other M-audio keyboards work fine. This problem can be duplicated by simply plugging the Axiom Pro 49 back into the usb port, at which time it happens again. There is an optional 9v 500ma power supply that can be purchased and used with the keyboard, but M-audio claims it is not needed, and that the usb cable supplies sufficient power. Upon connecting the Axiom Pro 49 for the first time, drivers were auto "installed successfully", and "device is ready to use" message appeared. Any help or suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
best regards,
Hog

Thank you for the reply. There is an optional power supply that can be used with the keyboard, do you think that could possibly do the trick? My computer seems to be fine with my other music gear, just not this one particular keyboard. Should I be wary of using a power supply with the usb cable that also is a source of power. Do you think it's safe to give it a try? Is there any chance that would be too much for my desktop/usb ports/power supply? I am not using a usb hub/interface, just plugging direct into the tower. I just want to be sure I'm not going to overload anything by trying to use the optional power cord/supply. Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.
Regards,
John

Back