Driver stopped responding and has recovered

I purchased an HP-f039wm with an Intel N2830 processor about a month ago. It's running Windows 8.1. I also bought a mouse for it since it's not a touch screen that allows me to scroll side to side and makes not having the touch screen easier to operate. The (what I thought was) mouse started freezing...in the middle of using it to surf the net or working in documents it just freezes for a bit then starts working again. Last night I got an error message after it did this saying the driver had stopped working and recovered. I didn't notice that it said which driver. I found a fix for this on the Microsoft website but it was for Windows 7. I have tried to do all the updates that it needed when I first got it but I have to do them a few at a time as they fail if I try to do them all at once. I have gone through and done several of these one at a time. Recent updates have successfully installed it's just the ones needed when I first started using it that are a problem (I have about 50 left from Sept-Dec). Any advice would be appreciated. I got this from Amazon so I have no support nor can I return it.

Two suggestions:

Try installing the software under "Windows 7" preferances. When you go to install the software (I do not have windows 8.1 myself, just going off Windows 7 features) Right click the installer and go to properties. Under "Compatibility" select "Compatibility Mode" as "Run this program in compatibility mode for" and select Windows 7.

Also select the "Priviledge Level" to make sure there is a checkmark in "Run this program as an administrator"

The other option is to find any driver software that is installed with the mouse and ensure that it is changed to these settings as well. If you want me to go into depth about how to do that I can explain further. But the general idea is to find the .EXE for the software that starts with windows and change the properties to the same as you did with the installer.

Back