DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE Alienware M17x R3

AetherSolace

So I recently purchased this and it seems to have a few problems I don't really know how to solve. The tech support line wasn't very helpful so I thought I'd ask here.

First off:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 4105

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 9f
BCP1: 0000000000000003
BCP2: FFFFFA8006799A20
BCP3: FFFFF80000B9C4D8
BCP4: FFFFFA80063C4E10
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\070311-23400-01.dmp
C:\Users\Solace\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-54210-0.sysdata.xml

This Bluescreen happened while gaming and randomly a couple of times after that. I'm not entirely sure what causes it but I imagine its related to either the video card switching feature or the fact it randomly goes into sleep mode sometimes without permission. The DVD/RW drive also spazzes out sometimes and makes whirring sounds like its working endlessly til it feels like stopping sometimes. But I fed it a psychonauts disc and that seems to have shut it up.

Any insight into this right away? if not please let me know what other information I should provide and i'll see if I can do it.

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Here's the Minidump files, There's only 2 so far. I did notice the attachment section while posting but my dump files were each 600/700 Kbs and over the forum upload limit.. I didn't realize that zipping them would compress them enough that I could post it, the two I have barely fit at best compression.

Attachments

• Minidumps 1+2.zip
    197.4 KB · Views: 8
Still looking for more insight into this problem, I don't know how to read blue screens or find which driver is causing issues. I'm on a bit of a time limit if I end up having to send this off to Alienware. So any help is appreciated.

Both are 0x9F errors which is an Inconsistent_Power_State and these are caused by drivers. Unfortunately they only cite a Windows OS driver and OS drivers are uaully too general to be of much diagnostic help.

I would certainly contact Dell if this is still under warranty and have them fix this issue.

*** Try this before sending it out: Go to the Alienware website, find your exact model and update the latest drivers that they have for your system.

Well, my call to tech supports didn't really yield any results. We reinstalled the intel and nvidia drivers since it has the built in graphics in the i7 processor and the nvidia card. Apparently with this model there's a feature that switches GPUs based on demand. Which I thought might be at least partially responsible.

There isn't much listed on the dell site driver wise, I could try updating the graphics drivers again and maybe the bios though the alienware rep seemed to think I had the latest already.

You are not the first person that has been having issues with laptops that provide this GPU switch depending on use. It is quite a well known problem.

Dell knows of this problem and they are obligated to fix it.

Yeah, I was pretty frustrated when I called in. since I got transferred 3 times after explaining my problem. Having to give out my information over and over again. Then having to wait on the line while downloading GPU drivers since it takes awhile. I could have done all of that myself, so if this issue is well known what's the fix for it? Is it the model itself that's defective?

Problems
-Driver Power state failure at rare unpredicted intervals
-Randomly goes into sleep mode without any prompt
-CD rom drive sometimes spazzes out unless fed CD/DVDs
-Screen flickers sometimes as I hit some keys.
-The hotkey panel up top for volume/fast forward/mute/etc is coming up on one side. I think it can be glued...

Yes, it is a flaw design. Here is another suggestion. Go to Notebookreview.com and join. They have a Dell/Alienware forum and ask there for advice. I know there are people there that have the same issue. Perhaps they can tell you a work-around.

How long have you had this system?

Well, I ordered it on the 16th or so of last month? I've had it since I think the 24th? It's now 9 days into the new month. I'll consider checking in at Notebook review.

Well, I ordered it on the 16th or so of last month? I've had it since I think the 24th? It's now 9 days into the new month. I'll consider checking in at Notebook review.

Since this is still under warranty it is Dell's responsibility to fix this thing. Keep us updated.

driver power state failure asus z99sr

hi pc pro, I always got this driver power state failure and I have no idea how to found out what is the cause of it. it is quite frustrated every time in a middle of using pc and it crash.
I will be very very appreciate if some pro can help me please.

Adrian

Attachments

• Mini070911-01.dmp
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Mini070511-01.dmp
  • Mini070211-03.dmp
  • Mini070211-02.dmp
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Mini070211-01.dmp
    140.3 KB · Views: 0