Drop in FPS, help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neighbor Kid

Hello, im new to the site but i was going to ask for help too.

I have a SR1050NX with, 3200 AMD Athion Processor, 512MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM memory, 200GB 7200 RPM ULTRASMA hard drive, CDROM drive Max Speed. VisionTEk Xtasy 9200 256MB. i want to know how i can increase FPS?

Downing the graphics in games does not help. like in Fogotten hope and soldiers heros of WW2.

im basicly broke too.

Have you tried turning down AA (anti-aliasing) and AF (AnisotropicFiltering) on your graphics card ?

If you have them all the way turned up they can be FPS hogs, even on a fast CPU, from what I've seen on these boards.

hope that helps...

Depending on your graphics card, you should be able to find them by right-clicking on your desktop, choose 'properties',,,then go to the 'settings' tab,,,then choose 'advanced',,,then a box called 'PlugnPlay' should pop up with 2 levels of tabs. Find the tab that has your graphics card name on it.

Then, look for a 'performance' or 'settings' tab or button, and look for AA, or Anti-Aliasing in there. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Then adjust the settings down to whatever ends up working.

Anti-Aliasing 'smoothes' out the jagged edges a bit, but they use up a whole lot of FPS compared to what they actually accomplish. If you usually run in 1024x768 you shouldn't be disappointed by turning them down a bit.

Here's a link that explains in more detail: http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2009p104id102508.htm

Hope this helps.

PS, almost forgot, but in many games you can set the AA right from the game menu...most graphics cards have an option to let the program (ie. your fav game) choose the AA and AF automatically, so you might try looking for that option in your game first, because not all games like the high AA settings, and can distort the graphics if you set it on high manually. FlightSim2004 is an example of this.

hmm. After you hit the 'advanced' button on the 'settings' tab....a box should open....is there a tab on that box that has the name of your Graphics card ?

If there is, go to that tab and look for AA settings...if not, then go to your 'start' button in the lower left hand of your desktop...go to 'settings'...then go to 'Control Panel'...and look for an icon with your graphics card name on it...and click that.

Did you just get the card recently ? and do you have on-board graphics on your system ?

The reason I ask is that I have an eMachines that has on-board graphics chip, and when I got my Nvidea Graphics card, I had to disable that in 'System' settings, and then plug my moniter into the graphics card.

And, I may be missing something here, but I'll try to rule out the obvious....
when you put the card in your system you installed the drivers that came with it ?

I have a hard time believing that your card software has no way to change at least some settings on it.

no man i got for my B-day last may and it was installed by CompUSA. i have a Compaq. all there is list of all modes that give screen res and refresh rate at max of 200HZ, they properties under which the tabs are, general , driver, and resourse. there is nothing else

OK, first, go to this site: http://www.visiontek.com/drivers.html
if you haven't already, and download the latest driver... It's the first one underlined in orange....while your there, download the 'ATI Control Panel Driver', which is the second one there. That Pontrol Panel is probably what you're looking for.

I think your Compaq Presario SR1050NX runs with XP, so make sure to get the driver for XP and not WIN98 etc...

then go back to either your Control Panel and see if a VisionTek icon shows up, and/or try going to the 'settings' and 'advanced' tab again.

If that fails, then I would try going into your games 'graphics' settings, and look for the AA settings in there..

Also, you may have to reboot when you install the drivers..once for the 'update' driver, and then (maybe) once for the 'Control Panel'

Yeah, 'performance' setting slightly (+/-) degrades the picture quality...and gives better FPS.

I assume you found a control panel for your VisionTek ?

Did you download the new driver too ?

Also, I would look around the 'Control Panel' to find your AA settings specifically, because if they are all the way up, that will lower your FPS more than just about any other setting.

But if you are satisfied after setting to 'performance', then don't worry.

It'll always be good to know where your AA and AF settings are,though, even if you don't change them now. :D

ok now i have another problem, in BF 1942 the models look screwed up at a distance is there a way to take a screen shot in game then post it up here so i can get some help?

yeah, Im pretty sure there is a way....but Ive never done that, so I don't know for sure.

Try this link....it is to the Video/Graphics section of TechSpot:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu8.html

Open a new thread there with your question, after seeing what you can find in the 'search' engine at the top of this screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back