Dumping AVG need input on alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

luvhuffer

Since AVG Free 7.5 is ending support, I made the migration to 8.0. The program is bloatware, and like so many other "good" programs has decided to to do too much IMO. I've got all these extra processes running, I don't seem to be allowed to have as much control over the features as if I can't be trusted, and just have an uneasy feeling about the whole thing in general. Today I downloaded a WMV file from an e-mail someone sent me. As always before viewing it I right clicked on it and hit the "scan with AVG" option. The usual pop-up window didn't, but I had a blinky in the task bar. I opened that and AVG was doing a full system scan. I ended it, then went in the program interface and used the scan file option. The browse box opened but browsing to the folder that contained the video, AVG couldn't see the file. Well that tears it. I accept too much crap in the mail from friends who I love, but need to scan their offerings before opening any file or attachment. I'm done with this program and am on the hunt for a new freeware program and as usual would like to get feedback on my choices or any other free AV programs you like.

I'm currently looking at the following 4

BitDefender Free Edition 10
Avast
Nod32
Antivir

Any feedback will be deeply appreciated.

Personally I think Avast is the best free AV as it has very high detection rate, but I've switch to Avira to see how things go....

Adu123,

Avast, just get it. It is much better than AVG.
-Secure
-Updates in the background
-No hassle
-Monitors p2p, so if you are into Limewire...

I use a subscription music service so p2p is not an issue, but I'm curious how does it monitor p2p? Does it wok off of lists like peer guardian or what?

Well I hated them all except Nod32 which of course isn't free. When my desktop loads, before I can even open my browser, nod has finished it's update. It uses about 42000k of memory which I can live with. And most importantly, it doesn't pester me. I'm probably going to break down and buy my first AV program. Partly because I like it, and partly because it's $20US right now at NewEgg. But first I need to install Limewire and download some key generators to see how good it really works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back