DVD Burner Problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guyz hope you can help. I am running 1 sata drive as my boot drive 1 DVD Burner on Primary Master & 1 dvd burner on secondry master with 1 IDE HDD on secondry slave. Through windows xp home edition it see's both drives but has problems burning cd's & dvd's. dvds won't burn but cd's will when write speed reduced. i have tried different configurations and different media but through windows xp 64 bit edition with this same config everything seems to work ok. i run to os's. any advice would be great thank you!

Check to see if the drives are in DMA mode.
DMAPIO.png

Under the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers i don;t have the primary & secondry ide channel. all i have is NVIDIA nForce3 250 Parallel ATA Controller (v2.6) & NVIDIA nForce3 250 Serial ATA Controller. Under the properties of the Parallel ATA Controller both dvd drives are set to "Let Bios Select Transfer Mode". on my primary channel as master i have a Lite-on DVDRW SOHW-1653S (Transfer mode in greyed out box reads Multi-Word DMA 2) Slave on primary is Seagate ST360021A 60 GIG IDE HDD (Transfer mode in greyed out box reads ULTRA DMA 5 - Ultra100). Secondry channel has Samsung DVDRW TS-H552U (Transfer mode in greyed out box reads Ultra DMA 2 - Ultra33). please also note samsung dvd plays dvd movies ok. liteon dvd when you try to play a movie it kind of jumps. plays but pauses every few seconds. but through XP 64 bit runs sweet. i am very puzzelled. I also thought that all drives being UDMA 100/133 that all of them could run at that speed? please correct me if i am wrong. thank you so much for your help! greatly appreciated.!

I'm not sure how you wouldn't have a secondary IDE. The way you described it initially it sounded like:

sata - Boot Drive
Primary IDE Master - DVD Burner (lite-on)
Primary IDE Slave - None
Secondary IDE Master - DVD Burner (samsung)
Secondary IDE Slave - Hard Drive

That Multi-Word DMA 2 is really slow. 16.6MB/sec which could explain problems burning dvds. Can you change that either in Windows or in your BIOS. What does it say in that place for XP64?

Have you got the latest nForce3 chipset drivers from nvidia?

Are you using the 80 wire IDE ribbon or 40 on the lite-on?

Good Morning, and thank you! uh yeah, sorry i got the drive config mixed up it is

sata - Boot Drive
Primary IDE Master - DVD Burner (lite-on)
Primary IDE Slave - Hard Drive
Secondary IDE Master - DVD Burner (samsung)
Secondary IDE Slave - none.

i am not to sure on the drivers so i will check those out, and yup definatly using 80 wire ide cable. one thing i have noticed is when you boot your machine and it gives you that display at the begining eg tells you your drives config ram config and what cards are using which irq, i can't remember off hand but i am pretty sure that it reads one of the dvd writers = dma33 & the other dma66? does this make any sense? I have a gigabyte motherboard GA-K8NSC939 im not to sure what i should be looking for in the bios. thank you again!

I think the problem is you need to get it out of multiword dma, its simply too slow for DVD burning. I just suggested toying around in the BIOS because Windows said 'let bios select transfer mode'. Change it in Windows if it will let you. There is no reason it shouldn't work if you could force it to any Ultra DMA mode (my system has one burner in 2 and one in 4 for some reason, but both work).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back