Dyson's electric car ambitions come into focus

Shawn Knight

Staff member

British vacuum cleaner maker Dyson last September announced plans to produce an electric vehicle by 2020. The development was unforeseen although considering Dyson’s purchase of battery start-up Sakti3 a year earlier, it wasn’t terribly stunning.

Dyson’s ambitious gamble to enter the automotive industry could either define the brand or plunge it into obscurity. Either way, it’ll begin with a trio of vehicles according to a recent report from the Financial Times.

Through interviews with more than 20 people, the publication has learned that Dyson plans to test the waters – establish a supply chain, a route to market, identify a potential customer base, that sort of thing – with its first vehicle. As such, the debut offering will have a low production run – perhaps in the single-digit thousands, sources note.

The company is said to be working extensively with lightweight materials with several people speculating the first vehicle may be comprised largely of plastics rather than metals. Some also said Dyson is considering using lithium-ion batteries instead of solid-state versions in the first car, suggesting a “scaling back” of technical ambitions. The latter is said to be a more advanced type of battery that would afford improved driving range and faster charging.

Several vehicle manufacturers are reportedly developing solid-state batteries although only Toyota has announced plans to launch a vehicle powered by the tech before 2025.

Regardless of the type of battery used, delivering a vehicle by 2020 or 2021 is a very ambitious goal, especially considering Dyson hasn’t yet selected a manufacturing site. The UK seems like a natural fit but other locations including Malaysia, China and Singapore are also under consideration. “You’ve got to do it where it’s commercially the best place to do it,” James Dyson told FT.

Permalink to story.

"Dyson’s ambitious gamble to enter the automotive industry could either define the brand or plunge it into obscurity."

What?

No really, what?

How on earth would it plunge them into obscurity? Even if it failed they'd still have a well known brand name and be able to carry on doing what they're doing already. What a load of click-bait.

Dyson = yet another marketing machine.

"Solid-state" battery is likely a supercapacitor. I doubt that Dyson has the research where with all to commercialize any of the most promising, recent laboratory developments in the field. Toyota, OTOH, likely does.

I look forward to all those Dyson vacuum motors sucking in unison. What a sweet song the sound of 100 maids all cleaning the same hotel room at once, would make. (y)

Not to mention with all those tiny motors strapped together, Dyson could trademark the car, "The Dyson Heavy"! :D :cool:

I thought "Dyson" had to be your surname to be able to really cash in. :confused:
Unfortunately, it would seem that is the case. They will not confirm it, even when asked directly.
Wouldn't even send me one of their promo/display floor mats for me to use as a welcome mat when I asked them for something as a laugh.

All I want to know is who made that ridiculous looking car model??
Dude, that car conceptualization is a work of art, sheer comic genius Yes really!

It's contrived from parts and attachments from Dyson's line of vacuum cleaners. t's pretty much a Dyson, "Transformer". If it was bigger, and more 3-D, I'd likely give it a week or two as Wallpaper

Dude, that car conceptualization is a work of art, sheer comic genius Yes really!

It's contrived from parts and attachments from Dyson's line of vacuum cleaners. t's pretty much a Dyson, "Transformer". If it was bigger, and more 3-D, I'd likely give it a week or two as Wallpaper

Lol I know, its just ridiculous

The name Dyson is permanently in my brain as vacuum cleaners. Not sure the name will help sell cars although it will help generate publicity.

I can just picture this:

I get my new Dyson car and I'm out cruising around. Suddenly I spot this hot chick. I pull over and roll down my window and say "Hey babe, wanna go for a ride?" She looks at my Dyson and then looks at me and says "What do you think I am? Dirt?"

Dyson is more than capable to produce and market that. They do have an outstanding R&D and probably they already identified some place in the automotive market they can fit in.

I can just picture this:

I get my new Dyson car and I'm out cruising around. Suddenly I spot this hot chick. I pull over and roll down my window and say "Hey babe, wanna go for a ride?" She looks at my Dyson and then looks at me and says "What do you think I am? Dirt?"
Just be careful you don't get clogged up with hairballs, vacuuming on the side of the road.

Back