EA apologizes after controversial Need for Speed social media account calls fan "milkshake...

midian182

Staff member
Facepalm: A good social media account manager can improve their employer's public image through thoughtful interaction with customers. But there's a vital distinction between giving an intelligent response to a genuine complaint and calling someone a "milkshake brain." Unfortunately for EA, its Need for Speed account chose to throw said insult at a fan, prompting an apology from the company.

The official Need for Speed Twitter account had already received complaints and plenty of headlines over its antagonistic responses to users. But this approach has brought the latest entry in the long-running franchise plenty of attention ahead of its November 29 launch.

However, it appears that the person controlling the account went a little too far when one fan complained about the game's early access policy; those who pre-order the Need for Speed Unbound: Palace Edition will receive three days of early access ahead of the racing title's release.

One individual tweeted that paying more to access a game three days early is exploitative, to which the account responded with "cry about it bro or buy regular price idc," before calling them a "Milkshake brain." Following a four-sentence-long complaint about customer relations from the user, the NFS account sent the following reply: "I'm not reading all that, sorry that happened to you or congratulations." Yikes!

The messages have since been deleted, unsurprisingly. But they were captured by Dexerto.

The Need for Speed account has now tweeted that some of its social media replies "crossed the line." As is always the case with public apologies, it's aimed at the people who were "upset."

Responses to the apology have been mixed. Some acknowledge that the account did go way too far, while others say it was great seeing people get "roasted" by social media managers and the whole incident was hilarious. There are also unconfirmed claims the person behind the account has been fired.

In fairness, official social media accounts often deal with unwarranted abuse and threats. In these cases, dishing out a witty retort and blocking the user is usually the best response. But name-calling will always be risky, and it wasn't as if the person in question was being especially hostile.

Permalink to story.

It's how zoomers speak.

Looks like it may have been a Zoomer v. Zoomer fight here.

Sitrep:
>Company throws out weird, unrelated insult that nobody understands towards a sarcastic customer.
>Customer also doesn't understand, replies with [same thing company said] + company (original, btw)
>Customer then proceeds to get offended that his sarcasm was met with greater sarcasm, whilst hurling insults nobody understands, over a video game that isn't released yet.

Classic "Your mouth is real big, but you can't handle even a sideways glance from anyone".

And some wonder why social media is the perfect example of social cancer.

Sounds like the account was supposed to have a certain "attitude" and somebody got their panties in a bunch.

P.S. Leave "Yikes!" at Reddit.

WTH is a "milkshake brain"? I've never heard that expression before.
Without the word "brain" attached, I jumped to the conclusion that "milkshake", referred to the product of a successfull male erotic self stimulation.

Perhaps the "brain" epithet was just tasked in to disguise the intended or implied meaning. I know, I know,, my mind's in the gutter. Where I might add, it's always been.

Last edited:
"One individual tweeted paying more to access a game three days early is exploitative, to which the account responded with "cry about it bro or buy regular price idc," before calling them a "Milkshake brain." Following a four-sentence-long complaint about customer relations from the user, the NFS account sent the following reply: "I'm not reading all that, sorry that happened to you or congratulations." Yikes!"

I'm going to side with EA on this one. While what the "fan" said is true, EA isn't point a gun to your head so you must CHOOSE to be exploited. Now, I am no lover of EA and I only got Star Wars: Squadrons because the Epic Store has it for free until December 1 (GO GET IT NOW IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT). In this case though, it's like the people who volunteer to get exploited by nVidia by overpaying for GeForce cards.

I have no real problem with calling someone who complains about a choice that is THEIRS to make a "Milkshake Brain" because the adjectives that I would've used to describe them would be far more offensive than that. :laughing:

EA .... excessive arrogance ...... yeah, that sounds about right ....
I agree but this "fan" was also showing excessive stupidity and I say that as someone who believes that we should never underestimate the stupidity of the average human. :laughing:

To be fair, the user in question was being a serious ahole. So that insult was rather tame IMHO. I hate to side with EA on ANYTHING, but they weren't wrong. KyloZen0 was being more than a milkshake-brain. Granted, he was spot on calling them a milkshake company. So it sorts itself out naturally. He also wasn't wrong calling them an embarrassment and unprofessional, but that's been going on for more than a decade, so not really an earth-shattering revelation.

Funniest article this year! And TechSpot has posted some gems! The sense of humor with the TechSpot editors is on the up! Cheers eh!

Back