EA teases a return to Steam after eight years

Humza

Staff member
Rumor mill: EA's recent tweet hints that the publisher could be eyeing a return to Valve's storefront after nearly eight years. Although the move would require EA to pay Valve a 30 percent cut on Steam sales, the bigger picture involves EA getting access to Steam's enormous 100 million active monthly users, potentially ending up in a win-win situation for both parties.

EA's Origin platform is home to many popular games including juggernauts like the Battlefield and FIFA series as well as the free-to-play Apex Legends. However, in the face of store exclusivity wars, a saturating games subscription market, and a general lack of successful new IPs from EA (not to mention the problems with existing ones), a return to Valve's store sounds like a promising move, both in terms of user and financial growth.

The publisher has hinted at going ahead with the idea by tweeting a steaming mug of some sort of beverage.

PCGamer spotted more potential evidence of this development...

It remains to be seen what EA plans to bring to Steam in terms of content. It could be the publisher's back catalog, its latest titles, or a combination of both. Whatever the case may be, the chance to see your favorite Origin games and/or buddies on Steam is certainly appealing.

Gamers shouldn't expect to part ways with Origin entirely though, but keep their assorted collection of launchers intact.

EA is likely going to follow Ubisoft's approach of making its titles available on Steam and then upon launching games, opening its own client, reminding us of the multi-layered DRM world in which we have to live in order to play some of these games.

Permalink to story.

Meh..... like Ubisoft, you will still need an Origins account to play their games.
and not to mention the incredible "loot box" experience build in as a "feature".

Lol, so common sense hit them? pay a lil more for way more access to paying customers which ends up with more cash in the long term.......who'd. have. thunk?

good gosh, everything about gaming nowadays is so dense it hurts, next article will be sony or microsoft patting themselves on the back that their new consoles will have a disc slot to "skip the download time" and people will clap like seals as always.

"the bigger picture involves EA getting access to Steam's enormous 100 million active monthly users, potentially ending up in a win-win situation for both parties."

Uhh, the giant user base was there the whole time, including when they parted ways.

Alternate title: EA decides they like money after all.

As long as ME Trilogy comes to Steam I vote yes.

Uninstalling Origin dog poop is worth every amount of $.

EA is dead to me regardless, they have screwed up so many times they would have to make the most amazing game of all time before I even think of bothering with their games again.

Reading comment sections on this news is funny. Oh, you poor summer children. So freshly naive thinking that you will get rid of Origin. Did you really think evil of EA has limits? :-D

Ok, jokes aside, you will still require to have Origin installed, logged in and running to play EA games. Just like it is with games EA put in Steam before they left Steam. New Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order already states on Steam page that it will require third party launcher, Origin, and third party account, EA account. So basically just like with Ubosoft and Rockstar, Steam is used to install their launcher and activate game on their launcher. Also their launcher takes care of DRM. And, at least it used to be that way, might also be needed to install the game itself. Though I am not sure on that one.

Trust me, been there done that. I have been into this for few decades now, I went through all EA crap and they killed plenty of franchises I like. EA has their agenda here. But their move to Steam is because they have your best interest in mind. Maybe they will use it to push subscription, maybe they have something new. But just remember, last time EA did pro consumer move, it was when they promised for multiplayer game to not have high amount of abusive DLC and that you will just buy the game and will get all content for free, which made a lot of people happy. That game was called Star Wars Battlefront 2 and catch was that game had whole progression tied to loot boxes, which could be bought and thus were pay to win. So yeah people, don't forget history, because it will repeat itself. Just saying.

Back