Early benchmarks show how Intel's Core i9-12900K is coming after the Ryzen 9 5950X's performance...

nanoguy

Staff member
Something to look forward to: As we get closer to the release of the first processors in the Intel Alder Lake family, more benchmark results are starting to surface online. The latest one shows Intel might finally have a true flagship CPU on its hands that can compete with AMD's Ryzen 5950X.

Intel's Alder Lake processor family is poised to be a much more exciting release than Rocket Lake, which was only an incremental upgrade over Ice Lake that brought modest performance improvements due to being backported from an unstable 10nm process node to the more mature 14nm one that Intel has been using for a while now.

By contrast, Alder Lake is a different concept that draws from Arm's big.LITTLE designs, with efficiency cores and performance cores that are governed by a Thread Director. On a PC running Windows 11, this new thread scheduler will assign lower-priority tasks to the efficiency cores and higher priority tasks to the more powerful ones, which will make your system feel more responsive. In a sense, it's not that different to what Apple has done with the M1 SoC on macOS.

As for how well it performs in general tasks, Intel has only let out that we can expect a 19 percent increase, on average, when comparing the high performance Golden Cove cores on Alder Lake against Rocket Lake's Cypress Cove cores. And thanks to benchmark results spotted by Videocardz on Geekbench, we can get a rough idea of how it may do against AMD's Zen 3 offerings, too.

The processor sighted in the new leak seems to be none other than Intel's upcoming Core i9-12900K, which apparently was able to record a single-core result of 1,893 in Geekbench 5, or two percent faster when compared to the Core i9-11900K and 12 percent faster than AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X.

In the multi-core test, the Core i9-12900K sample obtained 17299 points, which is a whopping 57 percent increase over the Rocket Lake flagship. However, this result is only marginally better (3.5 percent) than AMD's Ryzen 9 5950X. Overall, it looks like Intel's next flagship desktop CPU might turn out better than expected.

As always, take these early results with the proverbial grain of salt. That said, we're getting closer to the release of the first batch of Alder Lake CPUs, which will be comprised entirely of enthusiast-grade models. This lends some credibility to these results as opposed to anything regarding mainstream and lower-end members of the Alder Lake family.

Permalink to story.

Don‘t the same Geekbench tests even show RKL (11900K and 11700K) to be a good bit faster than the 5950X ? Plus only an MT difference of around 60% ?

Real life benchmarks, e.g. on this very site showed a somewhat different picture.

But: Here the GeekBench vs real life results may be different since Alder Lake afaik does not have AVX-512.

We‘ll see when the first reviews come out.

AMD probably are preparing their 3d cache to conter 12th gen.

They did'nt design the 3D cache really to counter intel. They did that because there is a product stack thats beneficial to having more cache (such as games for example). Esp in the enterprise market there's always room for more and larger caches.

This thing is'nt really to worry about; I mean AMD is pretty much ahead 2 years or so in comparison to Intel at this moment. Cores, IPC, speed and efficiency. I bet the above benchmark comes with a twice as large power enveloppe compared to AMD.

They did'nt design the 3D cache really to counter intel. They did that because there is a product stack thats beneficial to having more cache (such as games for example). Esp in the enterprise market there's always room for more and larger caches.

This thing is'nt really to worry about; I mean AMD is pretty much ahead 2 years or so in comparison to Intel at this moment. Cores, IPC, speed and efficiency. I bet the above benchmark comes with a twice as large power enveloppe compared to AMD.
Agreed, but I believe AMD takes Intel seriously and are readying CPUs to counter any Intel offering.

The performance in geekbench doesn't translate into any modern program or game. It's pretty worthless when comparing two CPUs. Will the latest CoD run better on it then a previous gen CPU or better than the best AMD CPU? Geekbench certainly doesn't know.

Also if Intel makes a CPU that outperforms a 5950x in most applications they will price it at or above the 5950x. I mean that's what AMD did once their CPU's caught up and in some cases surpassed Intel.

My mind isn't made up, yet, and it won't be until there are third party benchmarks using programs and games I actually play, plus AMD has a new platform coming out too and I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up. Hopefully it will be exciting and not disappointing like Intel's previous releases.

Keep dreaming, it's for free.

A few months after Alder Lake, Zen3+ with V-Cache comes to steal Intel's thunder. Rip Intel again?

Also Zen4 will come in 2022 before Raptor Lake, so AMD will make 2 steps before intel does one more...
lol, AMD on 7nm could barely beat out Intels 14nm stuff.

Looking at NM as a measurement is pretty worthless unless you are comparing things made in the same fab on the same process. Intels 10nm had many similarities to TSMC's to 7 and if you look at Intels road map they're dropping the nm naming altogether for the names of their nodes
I agree, had it not been for the power consumption numbers anyone could be forgiven that Intels 10th and 11th gen were made on the same process as Zen 2 or 3.

But: Here the GeekBench vs real life results may be different since Alder Lake afaik does not have AVX-512.
Intel may well disable AVX-512 before launch but right now Alder Lake "performance" cores should support AVX-512.

Also if Intel makes a CPU that outperforms a 5950x in most applications they will price it at or above the 5950x. I mean that's what AMD did once their CPU's caught up and in some cases surpassed Intel.
Alder Lake will be much more power hungry than Rocket lake. Considering Rocket lake is hot as Hell and Alder lake Will be hotter than Hell, many will pick 5950x even if Alder lake is bit faster...

lol so intel's yet to be release cpu is just barely faster than a year old AMD chip they certainly are dead.

AMD's Zen 3 refresh should have no issues with this chip.

The performance in geekbench doesn't translate into any modern program or game. It's pretty worthless when comparing two CPUs. Will the latest CoD run better on it then a previous gen CPU or better than the best AMD CPU? Geekbench certainly doesn't know.

My mind isn't made up, yet, and it won't be until there are third party benchmarks using programs and games I actually play, plus AMD has a new platform coming out too and I'm looking forward to seeing how they stack up. Hopefully it will be exciting and not disappointing like Intel's previous releases.

This is true but don't tell this to the team blue fan boys. Out of everyone reporting this today techspot has the most normal title. Other places you have fan boy flaming titles like

Core i9-12900K Alder Lake Chip Dominates Ryzen 9 5950X
Core i9-12900K Alder Lake CPU Destroys The AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Core i9-12900K Alder Lake Smashes Ryzen 9 5950X

If these results are accurate its just abit faster than a 5950X there is no dominating,smashing or destruction here, just fanning the flames with these titles to have fan boys fighting.

Also the posted numbers for the 5950x are low.

Last edited:
Just remember folks, the Ryzen 9 5950X was released nearly 10 months ago. I'm sure AMD will have a response very, very soon.
And?

Not like Intel wasn't ahead for years (especially in gaming)

When I had to choose ryzen or Intel in April 2017 it had to be Intel for gaming and come May 2020 Intel was still the leader in gaming with the 10900k.

Even now they are only very marginally ahead in gaming though I do agree they've had multi core focused tasks for a while so Intel taking the crown back is a good thing that hopefully amd does in return and Intel there after.

Thats how it should be back and forth and we all win. Just buy whatever is best when you need the upgrade.

Hilarious. All you Intel fan boys are shooting huge sticky wads into the air reading this headline, eh?
Not like the amd fanboys won't do the same the minute an amd chip flips things around.

Fact is fanboys gonna fanboy and anyone who buys into "repping" any company exclusively (unless you're getting paid) is a *****.

Buy what's best for your task at hand at the time you plan to upgrade and move on with your life.

Wouldn't AMD just release XT variants of the 5000 series to counter short term?
Alternatively - but that depends on capacity - they could simultaneously lower prices for existing models plus release 3D cache models.
A 5600X with 3D cache should be a killer gaming chip. Not sure we‘ll see it below a 5800X. Have no idea what the added total cost for the 3d Cache is.

This just in from TS:

Intel's 2028 Flagship will hands down beat the snot out of the 5950. There will be no doubt that Intel will be king of 2021 in 2028. Techspot tested and verified.

Back