EAX and digital output

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all,

I'm looking to buy some 5.1 channel speakers, for digital connectivity with my SB audigy...I'm actually leaning towards a hi-fi/home theatre type set, rather than a PC package as i think hi-fi speaker sets are better for your money (plus multiple inputs for things like dvd player/cd player etc.)

i also want to utilise EAX on on card with these speakers...so my question is: can EAX be used with the digital out on my sound card? i've looked around for information on this, but havent really found anything out...to my knowledge, it's usually used with analog front/rear outputs...but surely it can be done via digital SPDIF or optical out?

and if so, another thing would be does the reciever for my speakers decode this? The speakers i want can decode 5.1 Dolby digital, and DTS, as well as other 2-channel audio functions

would this mean that i'd be able to use EAX via digital in on my speakers?

Here are the speakers i had in mind...if that helps

thanks

-Opt:)

I m not sure about the digital part...but as long as your speaker cna be plugged digitally you'll be able to use EAX, EAX is just a sort surround audio format which will work as long as your soundcard supports it. This is still the same when you connect them to analog.

To be honest, if you have the money go mix and match subs and speakers or look for a better set of yamaha home teather system. Some of ou members do actually do this and they be able to help to recommend some good speakers to you. TSS-10 looks like a low-end Home Theather in the box which may not give you the high fidelity you want.

EAX won't be affected by whether you use the Digital or Analog outputs of the Soundcard. That said, with the system you've linked to there, that will only output audio as stereo using the digital output of your Soundcard (With the obvious exception of Dolby Digital & DTS).
So if you get that system you'll want to connect using the analog outputs as well, that way you can get 5.1 output for games, while the digital output can then be used when you're playing DVDs & will allow you to use the TSS-10's Dolby Digital/DTS decoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back