Elon Musk defies local orders by reopening Tesla factory, says he's ready to be arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

midian182

Staff member
A hot potato: Elon Musk, never one for obeying authorities, thinks his latest act of defiance could land him in jail. The Tesla boss said production at the company’s Fremont, California factory was restarting, going “against Alameda County rules.” Musk added that if anyone is arrested for this action, it should be him.

Musk yesterday tweeted that the factory was opening. “I will be on the line with everyone else,” he wrote in his post. “If anyone is arrested, I ask that it only be me.”

Musk has already let his displeasure with Alameda County be known, having last week announced that Tesla had filed a lawsuit against the state. The automaker has asked a court to invalidate the shelter-in-place orders stopping its factory from reopening.

While California relaxed some of its shelter-in-place orders last week, Almeda County kept its restrictions in place, with local orders taking precedence over those from the state. The situation saw Musk threaten to leave California for Texas or Nevada.

Reuters reports that in an internal email, Tesla referred to an order by California’s governor that allows manufacturers to resume operations. It also said furloughed workers were back to their regular employment status as of Sunday.

“We’re happy to get back to work and have implemented very detailed plans to help you keep safe as you return,” read the email.“Furlough Has Ended And We Are Back To Work in Production!”

Alameda County health officials said they were aware that Tesla was operating beyond minimum basic operations and had notified the company that it could not operate without a plan approved by the county.

“We have notified Tesla that they can only maintain Minimum Basic Operations until we have an approved plan that can be implemented in accordance with the local public health order,” the department said.

“We are addressing this matter using the same phased approach we use for other businesses which have violated the order in the past, and we hope that Tesla will likewise comply without further enforcement measures,” the statement continued.

Anyone violating the county’s lockdown orders could face fines, imprisonment, or both.

Musk spoke out against the virus lockdown last month, calling it “fascist” and “forcibly imprisoning people in their homes.”

Permalink to story.

The data does not support the lockdown. Respect to Elon for taking a stand.
What data is that? The amount of money millionaires are losing or the number of dead?

Like I understand, the virus is actually good for long term economic growth. It kills off the old and weak and the lower social economic class that can't afford high class health care. Those are a drain on the system anyway. And basic maths says with less people money goes further.

With herd immunity usa won't risk a second round of infections at a later date.

The casulties are just a small price those people should be glad to offer for making america great again.

The casulties are just a small price those people should be glad to offer for making america great again.
well, I'd say it's far from a small price to pay, but it is a necessary one.

The positive environmental impact it's having even in the short term could mean that the amount of lives saved in the future could be 10 fold. We are over consuming and killing the planet. The easiest way to consume less resources is for less people to be around to consume them.

I am a New Yorker.

I personally know people who have died from Covid19.
I have coworkers who've lost parents to Covid19.
I have a best friend who recently was hospitalized for Covid19.

I see funeral processions daily.

Our hospitals, morgues and funerals are over booked for months.

The quarantine was never going to work in a country like America which has a completely bipolar rhetoric coming from its media and its government.

Pear Harbor + Vietnam+ 911 only cost us 65,000 lives and Covid 19 is already well past those numbers.

81,000 dead and counting.

Go back and look at the epidemic's of Polio and the 1918 Spanish flu. It's all there; no mystery. For those that say it's no worse that the regular flu seem to overlook the fact that 80,000 was the top fatality rate for a year. At this pace the rate will be way, way, way above 360,000, not considering the escalation factor. It isn't a one shot situation. There will be multiple waves and, as the epidemiologists have clearly stated, like influenza, this could be coming back year after year. You doubt that? Go back and look at the Black Plague, it lasted nearly 300 years. The deniers need to go over and witness first hand what an Ebola outbreak looks like and it's numbers are a fraction of what this country is going through.

This has NOTHING to do with politics, wealth, influence or personal opinions. It has everything to do with infection and mortality rates. The deniers should prove how right they are by going to catch a dose, then come back in 4 weeks and tell us how great it was .... assuming your next residence isn't a box six feet under ..... or a refrigerated trailer ......

The data does not support the lockdown. Respect to Elon for taking a stand.

The amount of cases in the US is already very high, despite the measures to contain the spread of covid19.
If it wasn't for this, the amount of infected and deaths would be much higher.

Musk is acting like a *****, putting his workers lives in danger so he can make more money.
It's an act of irresponsibility to defy measures that are in place to save peoples lives.

With herd immunity usa won't risk a second round of infections at a later date.
Herd immunity applies for a viruses with no or little deviation, covid already shows high mutating profile.
In addition, herd immunity works only, if you can back it up with the vaccination. Otherwise it is not going to work. You need to have 70% population immune, evenly spread, not 'only certain group'. if you get 70% of youth immune this means you will have a cluster of ole people which are not immune and will die.

Herd immunity applies for a viruses with no or little deviation, covid already shows high mutating profile.
In addition, herd immunity works only, if you can back it up with the vaccination. Otherwise it is not going to work. You need to have 70% population immune, evenly spread, not 'only certain group'. if you get 70% of youth immune this means you will have a cluster of ole people which are not immune and will die.

Wuhang coronka has "gain-of-function" ability. So it indeed will mutate bazillion times. Annihilation will succeed. Even if some peepo can avoid becoming ill this year, the disease won't go away anywhere and will catch the rest after few years eventually. And by then it will have mutated several times and fatality will be at least 3x higher. People are in extreme denial over seriousness. And it works.

Epidemiology plays out over months and years, not weeks or days. Yet the economy is already decimated and will only get worse if people don't get back to work. Like everyone else here I have neither answers nor armchair quarterback solutions. But at least it seems that caution is the better approach, which Mr. Musk is not well known for.

Good for him. It's time to open up
Why, cause you think Tesla workers deserve to die? If he was really thinking about his workers, he'd arrange to have them receive payment while under lockdown - like many other companies are doing (but not enough).

Now, thanks to his example, other companies will probably follow suit, putting even more of us at risk.

The ability to order a lock down was reaffirmed by the Supreme Court as a similar suit was brought in PA that the Supreme Court outright refused to hear. Thus, governors can order lock downs for reasons like a global pandemic. I am willing to bet that Musky will lose this case.

And I think that Musky is acting like a spoiled brat - let him leave CA. It is not like CA needs his business given that CA is one of the largest economies in the world.

So, about Musky, I'll say this: Lock him up!

There is data that shows your numbers have been manipulated by the privatised hospitals trying to get extra funding by saying this person has covid-19. That is a fact.

Love how American's think America is great. America is only great if you have a big wealth. If you don't you are better off living somewhere else with lower incarceration rates and actual support lines.

Musk thinks he is above the law like Trump...! The Alameda county should cut the power to his Fremont factory before his factory becomes a Covid-19 hot spot...! Problem solved...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back