Elon Musk says building a flying car wouldn't be difficult

Shawn Knight

Staff member

elon musk flying car

Tesla CEO Elon Musk’s imagination knows no bounds. According to a recent interview with The Independent, the entrepreneur’s latest fascination is building a Jetsons-era flying car.

As he told the publication over the weekend, it’s something he’s thought about quite a lot. Musk said they could definitely make a flying car – that’s not the hard part. The challenge is trying to make a flying car that is super safe and quiet. If you build a howler, he said, it’s going to make people very unhappy.

Musk may have the capability to build the vehicle but admitted the project would be “just for fun” right now.

This isn’t the first off-the-wall idea that Musk has come up with in recent memory. Late last year, it was revealed that he was the “mystery” buyer in an auction for a piece of James Bond movie history – the Bond Lotus submarine from The Spy Who Loved Me. The car sold for $866,000.

The executive said at the time that he wanted to retrofit the vehicle with a Tesla electric powertrain and make it into a real-life submarine car capable of driving on roadways. It actually wouldn’t be too much of a stretch to pull off the feat as Tesla’s first car, the Roadster, was based on a Lotus Elise. No word yet if he’s actually moved forward with the plan since then, however.

Permalink to story.

Ok, how does a person with a physics degree say such things? Have physicists secretly discovered anti-gravitons?

DOES HE HAVE BATTERIES POWERFUL AND CHEAP ENOUGH FOR IONOCRAFTS AT LAST?

Oh right, he doesn't have an engineering degree.

Maybe he should at least finish this Hyperloop project before moving on to something equally insane.

Well, at least it isn't solar powered roadways.

Well, at least it isn't solar powered roadways.

I think solar powered roadways are a more logical thing, but good luck getting anyone to agree to it at the insane cost to even have it done. Obviously it would mean coal and other such things, wouldn't be used by countries as much if it's a huge thing I'm sure. Green cost would be insane to do the project, but the benefits would possibly be huge too. Just nobody would willingly do the testing I'm sure, because there's too much at stake for other companies to allow this to happen.

It prob wouldn't be that hard, what would be hard is teaching everyone to fly instead of just drive, most people can barely handle driving where you only dealing in 4 directions and moving at 70mph tops, flying at 200 mph with 360 degrees of possible travel would prob be a bit much for a lot.

Elon Musk was recently posed as the real-life Tony Stark. Pfft, more like Emporer Caligula if you ask me.

Geez... why all the hate? This is guy is one of the 21st century's leaders in bringing the world forward with technology. We call his ideas crazy, but history is full of geniuses who were called crazy by their peers because they thought a little too far outside the box. This guy was smart enough to make a boat load of money with the internet... now he runs a car company that makes cars that sell before their made that don't run on gas. He's the only person in history to ever do that.

Why assume a flying car would be for you? Maybe it'll be an expensive taxi, maybe it'll be a police emergency response vehicle... maybe it'll be a better Flight for Life. Maybe it'll be invaluable in a disaster area like a hurricane cleanup where roads are blocked.

People who think it can't be done are usually passed up by someone doing it.

Quote:
"

Oh right, he doesn't have an engineering degree."

----Says the guy from his armchair, meanwhile that guy "without an engineering degree" has started and maintains companies which build electric vehicles and spacecraft.

...And while we are here, please enlighten us non-engineering folk on why Ionocrafts are THE way to go?

It prob wouldn't be that hard, what would be hard is teaching everyone to fly instead of just drive, most people can barely handle driving where you only dealing in 4 directions and moving at 70mph tops, flying at 200 mph with 360 degrees of possible travel would prob be a bit much for a lot.
I doubt that flying cars would usher in Back to the Future 2 / Fifth Element style "skyways." Getting a license to operate a flying car would probably be like getting a license to fly a plane and a helicopter and thus prohibitive for the vast majority of people.

I don't understand the haters either. This guy (Musk) will be a household name in another few years, just wait. He's trying to do amazing things for the world and you trolls have no idea what you're talking about. Piss and whine all you want, at least he is trying to offer solutions.

Piss and whine all you want, at least he is trying to offer solutions.
Allot of people offer solutions, but only a select few get credit for their labors. For one simple fact; their mind is not their own, when they work for someone else.

Everyone has an imagination. But until that imagination is turned into a solid product, no ones imagination is worth more than anyone else.

There is one hurdle that must be overcome before we can even think of flying cars. We first have to make driver-less cars. Flying cars will have to be naturally safe by being capable of driving itself, before we can put it in the air.

Flying cars just doesn't seem like a smart idea to me all, at least not with current tech available to us.

Also wow lots of hate for Musk in these forums, thats pretty uncalled for! Did he kill your kittens or kick your dogs or wth is the deal with the nasty comments?

Least he's trying to change the industry with proper electric vehicles and new approaches.

But until that imagination is turned into a solid product, no ones imagination is worth more than anyone else.

I really wish I could agree with you on that point, but I don't. It sounds and looks good on paper that everyone's imagination is equal....... but like most other things you're going to find that it simply isn't true.

What government bureaucracy will be invented, and at what cost, to keep the flying cars and drones from colliding with each other or with aircraft?

Quote:
"

Oh right, he doesn't have an engineering degree."

----Says the guy from his armchair, meanwhile that guy "without an engineering degree" has started and maintains companies which build electric vehicles and spacecraft.

...And while we are here, please enlighten us non-engineering folk on why Ionocrafts are THE way to go?

Because it gives the best force per energy ratio compared to jet engines? You don't even understand how much energy you waste just by maintaining your current lift.

How about you go pay for a ticket to space and tell me how much it costs now.

It's only hot air , if he's got nothing to back it up.. pretty sure he's got plenty of push behind him. With that whole Space X and Tesla thing..

Jealousy is an ugly trait...
So, are you saying you're jealous of me for coming up with the "hot air" routine first. You are, after all, repeating the same thing.

"Aping", actually, which is an ugly trait as well.

Geez... why all the hate? This is guy is one of the 21st century's leaders in bringing the world forward with technology. We call his ideas crazy, but history is full of geniuses who were called crazy by their peers because they thought a little too far outside the box. This guy was smart enough to make a boat load of money with the internet... now he runs a car company that makes cars that sell before their made that don't run on gas. He's the only person in history to ever do that.

Why assume a flying car would be for you? Maybe it'll be an expensive taxi, maybe it'll be a police emergency response vehicle... maybe it'll be a better Flight for Life. Maybe it'll be invaluable in a disaster area like a hurricane cleanup where roads are blocked.

People who think it can't be done are usually passed up by someone doing it.

Well said sir! Anyone who cuts down the ideas of someone else before they've had the opportunity to have a shot at it is a bigoted *****. Musk has been doing unbelievable things since PayPal, and I'm sure they'll continue to succeed. He's crazy for sure, but he's the exact kind of crazy this world is so sorely missing right now...

Well said sir! Anyone who cuts down the ideas of someone else before they've had the opportunity to have a shot at it is a bigoted *****. Musk has been doing unbelievable things since PayPal, and I'm sure they'll continue to succeed. He's crazy for sure, but he's the exact kind of crazy this world is so sorely missing right now...
Please spare us the lecture.

At some point in a meteoric success such as Mr. Musk's, you start believing your own BS. I think the clinical term would be, "megalomania".

And "I don't think it would be hard to build a flying", dumps a whole lot of almost insurmountable obstacles on the shoulders of those who are tasked with the job of actually building it, instead of just "imagining it".

After all, it's already been imagined time and again. I guess you don't remember, "The Jetson's. That was a cartoon series with a flying car in every driveway

As far as most of Mr. Musk's rants go, he's just a swollen talking head, with a massive ego.

The flying car has already been invented, they called it the "Piper Cub". The low stall speed was they selling point, about 35mph if I recall correctly.

As far as, "360" possible directions of travel go, I think you're 360 degrees short of a full sphere, since "pitch", (up and down with respect to the horizon), adds another full circle to the possibilities. So really, you have 360 times 360 possible directions of travel. Note I said, "possible", not "practical".

A brake pedal won't work in any airplane, in the same way one won't work in a boat. The simplest strategy would be to navigate by flying low over existing highways. Which would result in an unimaginable number of rear end collisions. What happens when the airspace over the freeway gets too crowded? Would you have a massive anarchistic exodus in all directions? Sounds like an opportunity for a massive chain reaction mid air collision, the likes of which has never been seen on the same type of crash on land.

I can't see the point of someone trying to huckster electric cars, "to save energy", running their yap about "flying cars". The energy required to overcome gravity is considerable, especially in hovering.

Sometime have a look at a pilot training manual, you'll find it's not in the same class of comic book as any drivers' manual.

As far as the rest of you "Muskies" go, did you actually know anything about aircraft control, aerodynamics, the protocols,and legal issues of piloting aircraft, before you posted a bunch of crap, trumpeting about how we should all be on the Musk flying car bandwagon.

Oh wait, now we're going to need flying bandwagons as well. Let's go ask Mr. Musk for one. I'll bet he cl;aims a flying bandwagon wouldn't be that hard to build either.

Please spare us the lecture.

At some point in a meteoric success such as Mr. Musk's, you start believing your own BS. I think the clinical term would be, "megalomania".

And "I don't think it would be hard to build a flying", dumps a whole lot of almost insurmountable obstacles on the shoulders of those who are tasked with the job of actually building it, instead of just "imagining it".

After all, it's already been imagined time and again. I guess you don't remember, "The Jetson's. That was a cartoon series with a flying car in every driveway

As far as most of Mr. Musk's rants go, he's just a swollen talking head, with a massive ego.

The flying car has already been invented, they called it the "Piper Cub". The low stall speed was they selling point, about 35mph if I recall correctly.

As far as, "360" possible directions of travel go, I think you're 360 degrees short of a full sphere, since "pitch", (up and down with respect to the horizon), adds another full circle to the possibilities. So really, you have 360 times 360 possible directions of travel. Note I said, "possible", not "practical".

A brake pedal won't work in any airplane, in the same way one won't work in a boat. The simplest strategy would be to navigate by flying low over existing highways. Which would result in an unimaginable number of rear end collisions. What happens when the airspace over the freeway gets too crowded? Would you have a massive anarchistic exodus in all directions? Sounds like an opportunity for a massive chain reaction mid air collision, the likes of which has never been seen on the same type of crash on land.

I can't see the point of someone trying to huckster electric cars, "to save energy", running their yap about "flying cars". The energy required to overcome gravity is considerable, especially in hovering.

Sometime have a look at a pilot training manual, you'll find it's not in the same class of comic book as any drivers' manual.

As far as the rest of you "Muskies" go, did you actually know anything about aircraft control, aerodynamics, the protocols,and legal issues of piloting aircraft, before you posted a bunch of crap, trumpeting about how we should all be on the Musk flying car bandwagon.

Oh wait, now we're going to need flying bandwagons as well. Let's go ask Mr. Musk for one. I'll bet he cl;aims a flying bandwagon wouldn't be that hard to build either.

It's not a bandwagon. If you don't believe something can be done then you're welcome to that opinion but whether it be 20 years or 2000, eventually you'll be eating your words when someone smarter and more capable than you makes it happen.

I believe it was around the late 1700's (I could be wrong there) that scientists were in general agreement that technology had reached its peak, and that we couldn't really progress much farther from then on. We had simply invented everything we could possibly invent. Well that turned out to be a crock of ****.

I'm not a "Muskie", or a bandwagon follower of some guy who says flying cars are a walk in the park. What I am a bandwagon follower of is ideas and progress and not being so cynical and ignorant to believe that just because something seems to be difficult on numerous levels (like so many other things that are now commonplace were purported to be), doesn't mean that listening to someone and believing in them can't help get it done.

Back