Elon Musk unveils first official image of functioning SpaceX space suit

midian182

Staff member

Tesla boss Elon Musk has taken a break from warning us about murderous AI and killer robots to reveal the first images of his SpaceX space suit. The CEO shared the picture on Instagram, pointing out that it wasn’t a mockup but a fully functioning suit that’s been tested to double the vacuum pressure of space.

SpaceX designed the spacesuit to look sleek and stylish while retaining its essential functions, something Musk said was “incredibly hard.” It certainly appears less bulky than the classic spacesuits we’re used to seeing, and seems to offer more freedom of movement.

In May last year, it was reported that Musk had commissioned Hollywood designer Jose Fernandez, who had worked on the Iron Man, Spider-Man, Batman, and Captain America costumes, to help create the spacesuit. The images that appeared on Reddit at the time look pretty much identical to what Musk showed today.

The suits are pressured and not meant for spacewalks; they're worn by NASA astronauts in case the Dragon capsule depressurizes during transportation to and from the International Space Station

Musk also used Instagram early this month to show off a draft animation of what the Falcon Heavy, the larger variant of SpaceX’s current Falcon 9 rocket, will look like at launch. Following several years of delays, the rocket, which is made up of three Falcon 9 cores, is tentatively scheduled to make its inaugural flight this November from Cape Canaveral's Launch Complex 40 - assuming it doesn’t get postponed yet again.

Permalink to story.

It certainly appears less bulky than the classic spacesuits we’re used to seeing, and seems to offer more freedom of movement.

and then this:

The suits are pressured and not meant for spacewalks

So they replaced the "bulky" suits with ones not suitable for spacewalks, and called it progress? I don't see it that way. That's like creating a very light car, discounting the engine it is suddenly missing.

Seems a waste of space to have to have two suits... ideally you would just have one suit for everything. but if the mobility is so much better I can see why they would do this. a primary use suit with another solely for space walks

So basically what we are seeing is an "emergency suit" ; certainly not as impressive as what we were lead to believe in the beginning .... Now the question will be if he's going to also design a more robust suit intended for space walks and traversing on the Mars terrain or anywhere else? Don't forget all those pesky problems with the "grey dust" of the moon or you could be in for a nasty surprise!

and then this:

So they replaced the "bulky" suits with ones not suitable for spacewalks, and called it progress? I don't see it that way. That's like creating a very light car, discounting the engine it is suddenly missing.
No, SpaceX has come up with their own version of this:
Tim_Kopra_ACES_spacesuit.jpg

SpaceX is not replacing this:
mmupack.gif

SpaceX's suit is a "flight suit", not an "EVA suit".

The difference is the orange one is called a "flight suit" and is only worn during ascent and decent. It is designed to optimize astronaut survival in case of an accident with the vehicle (hull breach/loss of pressure, having to bail out/being thrown from a craft that is breaking up, etc). The white suit is an "EVA suit", or "Extra Vehicular Activity suit" and is only worn when in orbit, outside the craft. The EVA suit is optimized to protect the astronaut from things like radiation (EMF, particle, IR, UV, and thermal), as well as things like micro-meteors and other hyper-velocity debris.

Both the flight suit and EVA suit were originally designed back when NASA was designing and building the Space Shuttle. Back then, the idea of an astronaut being able to survive an accident on ascent or decent was considered as a real possibility with the Space Shuttle - and, technically, they did survive the accidents themselves, just not the 'aftermath' - and EVAs were going to be taking a greater priority on the Shuttle missions over what they were on the Apollo missions.

No, SpaceX has come up with their own version of this:
Tim_Kopra_ACES_spacesuit.jpg

SpaceX is not replacing this:
mmupack.gif

SpaceX's suit is a "flight suit", not an "EVA suit".

The difference is the orange one is called a "flight suit" and is only worn during ascent and decent. It is designed to optimize astronaut survival in case of an accident with the vehicle (hull breach/loss of pressure, having to bail out/being thrown from a craft that is breaking up, etc). The white suit is an "EVA suit", or "Extra Vehicular Activity suit" and is only worn when in orbit, outside the craft. The EVA suit is optimized to protect the astronaut from things like radiation (EMF, particle, IR, UV, and thermal), as well as things like micro-meteors and other hyper-velocity debris.

Both the flight suit and EVA suit were originally designed back when NASA was designing and building the Space Shuttle. Back then, the idea of an astronaut being able to survive an accident on ascent or decent was considered as a real possibility with the Space Shuttle - and, technically, they did survive the accidents themselves, just not the 'aftermath' - and EVAs were going to be taking a greater priority on the Shuttle missions over what they were on the Apollo missions.

That man in orange looks more like a convict than an astronaut.

And the space boots with laces - is that supposed to be a joke?

From movie Lockout - reminds of anything? :)

Lockout-2012-Movie-6.jpg

Last edited:
So, if this designer junk is really intended for use inside of a ship, wouldn't be better described as, "space pajamas", or maybe, "space lounge wear".

From movie Lockout - reminds of anything? :)...[ ]...
Lockout-2012-Movie-6.jpg
Dude, it's a 'flight suit", most likely the guy in the picture is an SR-71 pilot. It would probably keep the pilot alive in the event of an 85.000 ft altitude bailout, but it certainly isn't suited (pardon the pun), for an EVA to service the Hubble telescope..

BTW, I believe the orange color is for high visibility to aid search and rescue efforts, in the event a pilot is downed,

And here you go Vitaly, complete with white laced boots, and an SR-71 to prove it:
150305074050-sr-71-spy-plane-george-morgan-exlarge-169.jpg

Further evidence that SpaceX is another massive fraud, a money-pit for tech investment. They can't even get a person into space yet, or design an actual space suit, yet we're to believe Musk holds the future in his hands.

Further evidence that SpaceX is another massive fraud, a money-pit for tech investment. They can't even get a person into space yet, or design an actual space suit, yet we're to believe Musk holds the future in his hands.
IMO, Musk usually has something in his hand, but it's certainly not our future. If old legends were really true, he'd be blind by the time he's 50. The latest count is, 46 down, and 4 to go.

For a guy who wants to save the planet he sure does use a lot of rocket fuel...
He emits a lot of greenhouse gases too, (mostly CO2), by constantly running his yap! Not to mention he's so full of sh!t, god only knows how much methane he releases into the boardroom.

Last edited:
Elons' safety harness looks really lame. it would not be appropriate for a drag car much less a space launch.

So it's obvious from the description that what he has designed is a flight suit that will be mainly used as protection during a bailout. So my question is...why the hell would you make it white? Current flight suits are orange, which would make search and rescue easier. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you want something a little easier to spot.

So it's obvious from the description that what he has designed is a flight suit that will be mainly used as protection during a bailout. So my question is...why the hell would you make it white? Current flight suits are orange, which would make search and rescue easier. I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure you want something a little easier to spot.

The white is fine. ~NASA

Dude, it's a 'flight suit", most likely the guy in the picture is an SR-71 pilot. It would probably keep the pilot alive in the event of an 85.000 ft altitude bailout, but it certainly isn't suited (pardon the pun), for an EVA to service the Hubble telescope..

BTW, I believe the orange color is for high visibility to aid search and rescue efforts, in the event a pilot is downed,

And here you go Vitaly, complete with white laced boots, and an SR-71 to prove it:
[/QUOT
This picture don't prove anything. I will stand by this plane in pyjama and take a picture, will that proves that I flu this plane in pijama?

Last edited:

From movie Lockout - reminds of anything? :)...[ ]...
Lockout-2012-Movie-6.jpg

That's a very different orange ;)

Back